Unemployment/Careers

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, throbber said:

Have a wee tipple before you go in.

That's not bad advice. I was a witness for the prosecution once when a friend was attacked in an attempted armed robbery (I bravely intervened and he ran away). I was hugely nervous in the first trial and the defence barrister totally confused me so there was a split jury and a retrial. At the second attempt the cops took me out for one bottle of guinness to calm me down and I wiped the floor and got the c**t sent down.

12 hours ago, welshbairn said:

That's not bad advice. I was a witness for the prosecution once when a friend was attacked in an attempted armed robbery (I bravely intervened and he ran away). I was hugely nervous in the first trial and the defence barrister totally confused me so there was a split jury and a retrial. At the second attempt the cops took me out for one bottle of guinness to calm me down and I wiped the floor and got the c**t sent down.

Indeed. When I had just stepped into my first management role and was inexperienced as f**k, all the managers had to do a presentation to the board of directors on their area and their business plan for the following year. For a number of reasons, not limited to not knowing what the f**k a business plan was at the time, nor what I was planning for "my role" in the next month, never mind the next 12 months, I was absolutely shitting it. Knocked up the presentation, and went out the night before with a colleague who was also new to management and got absolutely blootered. Presentation started at 9am, got home to his flat at about 4, up at 8, couple of large voddies, taxi at half 8 and straight into it at 9. Can't remember anything about it, but was confident and didn't get the sack or demoted. So it sure does work.

13 hours ago, Sloop John B said:

I've got an interview tomorrow for a  research position  with a local authority and also have to do a ten minute presentation. Any  last minute advice for the interview/presentation?

At the start explain what your 2 or 3 main points of the presentation are and confirm at the end that they've been understood and if they haven't try to clarify within the allocated time. 

I've got an interview tomorrow for a  research position  with a local authority and also have to do a ten minute presentation. Any  last minute advice for the interview/presentation?

Bright colours and every type of animation that PowerPoint will allow you on every slide. Everyone loves a good animation.

That and a Father Ted style "why I deserve a parachute" speech:

"I think I should get the job, because I'm so great. In fact, I think you should sack the entire department and give me all the jobs in case my role gets pulled."

Eta: I'm giving a presentation at Cambridge University next week, thought I'd drop that in there. [emoji4]

18 hours ago, Sloop John B said:

Probably a bit late now but check in advance what equipment you will be using i.e Power-point versions etc. Nothing worse than not being able to open your presentation or finding they use/don't use Macs and you use/don't use windows.

27 minutes ago, Devits said:

Do not get into accountancy. It is fucking shite.

I have never met people that are genuinely this boring. The Work has 1 social event a year and its the christmas night out.

The business speak pish is constant too. Just utter shite.

I'm nearly fully qualified as an accountant and you're obviously in the wrong company.

Working as an accountant in a manufacturing company is decent - you work with a broad spectrum of people and experience, albeit depending on the role it can get tedious and repetitive.

You just need the right team synergy to create a prosperous environment for motivation.

But I'm a boring speccy c*nt who talks solely in business speak so that probably helps.

I'm nearly fully qualified as an accountant and you're obviously in the wrong company.

Working as an accountant in a manufacturing company is decent - you work with a broad spectrum of people and experience, albeit depending on the role it can get tedious and repetitive.

You just need the right team synergy to create a prosperous environment for motivation.

But I'm a boring speccy c*nt who talks solely in business speak so that probably helps.

I work in practice. I have been told working for a manufacturing company is a better experience but i can only speak from what i have experienced. Tedious shite.

46 minutes ago, Devits said:

Do not get into accountancy. It is fucking shite.

I have never met people that are genuinely this boring. The Work has 1 social event a year and its the christmas night out.

The business speak pish is constant too. Just utter shite.

Did you have a bit of a moment at your careers evening and get accounting jumbled up with something else? I can just picture you a few weeks into your number crunching course asking "when do we get to jump out of helicopters and shoot folk?".

In an application I'm doing now one of the questions is about an example as to when i have adapted my communication style to suit the needs of others. Got absolutely no idea where I can go with this so if anyone can throw me a bone that would be lovely.

Did you have a bit of a moment at your careers evening and get accounting jumbled up with something else? I can just picture you a few weeks into your number crunching course asking "when do we get to jump out of helicopters and shoot folk?".

Still waiting for this 3 years on :(

1 minute ago, throbber said:

Engineering but more along the asset management/strategy/ project management lines. Really don't know where to begin!

I know nothing about that but someone else is bound to.  Imo, the specifics of the example won't be as important as the fact that you made an attempt to become aware of the customer/client's needs and demonstrated some sort of attempt to accomodate it in terms they'd relate to.

Archived