Unemployment/Careers

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm 31 and planning to go back and finish my bricklaying apprenticeship.  I've actually contacted the CITB who confirmed I only have 15 months left to complete it.  My main issue is having to take a rather substantial wage cut. 

I currently work in Project Management but it's extremely boring and my role has no 'glass ceiling' if you like.

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

I'm 31 and planning to go back and finish my bricklaying apprenticeship.  I've actually contacted the CITB who confirmed I only have 15 months left to complete it.  My main issue is having to take a rather substantial wage cut. 

I currently work in Project Management but it's extremely boring and my role has no 'glass ceiling' if you like.

No glass ceiling is a good thing is it not?

I decided to do an apprenticeship in my mid 20's. I already had a better paid job than my mates but it was the pits. Was a bit sh*t going to college and being treated like a school kid again. Fortunately I am an immature b*stard so fitted in well enough with the younger ones though.

It was a big step as I had to temporarliy rent my house out but I dont regret it. I now also hate my new job but it's more to with those above me but hopefully I will be seen to have enough experience to move elsewhere.

I done joinery as an apprenticeship but because of a lack of work my families company gave me a good redundancy and told me to find a better job. 

Getting more and more tempted to start up the joinery though, even a night course at college to get teaching qualifications would be nice. 

17 minutes ago, gannonball said:

No glass ceiling is a good thing is it not?

I decided to do an apprenticeship in my mid 20's. I already had a better paid job than my mates but it was the pits. Was a bit sh*t going to college and being treated like a school kid again. Fortunately I am an immature b*stard so fitted in well enough with the younger ones though.

It was a big step as I had to temporarliy rent my house out but I dont regret it. I now also hate my new job but it's more to with those above me but hopefully I will be seen to have enough experience to move elsewhere.

I mean there's no real progression path.  My role is pretty set in stone and there's no promotion available.

I work in IT and really like my job.  I work for an interesting company, it's fast moving, lots of new things to do and learn and it's a good company, good management (in the main) and I get excellent pay and benefits.  I don't mind getting up to go to work, although sometimes it's a bit busy and I have work I need to do which piles up and causes a bit of stress. Overall it's good though.

I fell into doing this sort of work, I left University after studying a subject completely unrelated to my job, worked in a shitty job in Inverness for a few years while bumming about and ended up getting a promotion into a back-office job that I quite enjoyed.  I moved down to Edinburgh to live with my then-girlfriend, now wife and after doing some further study for a bit I got a job working for a big financial company, which was well paid and was really the launch for my career.  I spent seven years there, learned loads, did all sorts of different work and learned loads.  I left to go to another large financial company, mainly because I didn't want to end up having done ten years in one company and being stuck in the routine of working for them rather than having more broad based experience.  I also got a substantial pay increase when I moved.  I worked in this job for two years, it was a very challenging environment and there were lots of issues - my job in that company involved working to fix IT problems and issues so it was actually good to work in a company that was (and still is) constantly on the edge of catastrophic failure.  The management was very poor though - a lot of aggressive bullies with giant inferiority complexes and it was such a huge company that getting anything done was kind of like being in the Soviet Union, but probably less efficient.

I got my current job to get out of that environment, also to get a pay increase but also to get experience outside the financial services sector, which can get a bit stifling.  In Edinburgh you can end up on the financial merry-go-round, moving between the big companies for your whole life and I didn't want to end up like that.  The company I'm with now are in a different sector and things are much more fluid, you have less pointless regulation and 'oversight' and consequently the work is varied, fun and moves quickly.  

I'm not sure what the point of this story is but what I'd say is that you can be successful in different workplaces, different jobs, different industries if you show a willingness to learn and work hard and embrace what you are doing.  If you can get a job that gives you the chance to do different things, work with different sorts of people and develop yourself then you are in a good place I think. 

Incidentally, i have written to all major employers in Scotland with a detailed breakdown of throbbers posts on here and a selection of photographs of his plates.  I don't want them to be tricked into employing a constantly masterbating plate deviant.

Just now, ICTChris said:

Incidentally, i have written to all major employers in Scotland with a detailed breakdown of throbbers posts on here and a selection of photographs of his plates.  I don't want them to be tricked into employing a constantly masterbating plate deviant.

You are constantly giving me mixed signals Chris, I just don't know where i stand with you. 

I can still work away on the tools for the rest of my life if this particular goal of mine goes tits up because of words i have posted on an anonymous forum.

16 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I mean there's no real progression path.  My role is pretty set in stone and there's no promotion available.

If I were you I would just bite the bullet and go for it. The longer I was in my old job I thought The more likely I would be stuck for life.

21 minutes ago, throbber said:

You are constantly giving me mixed signals Chris, I just don't know where i stand with you. 

I can still work away on the tools for the rest of my life if this particular goal of mine goes tits up because of words i have posted on an anonymous forum.

I'm only joking throbber.  I'll leave the grassing to employers to the psychotic, ever-present coprophiles on the forum.

I think I'll need to put an escape plan in place. I'll try and get Chartered status within the next two years. After that time I'll have been with the present employer for 10 years which is plenty. Previous employers have had 3 years if they were lucky.

Yes, Chartered lion taming is a thing. Probably.

Archived