St Mirren v Ayr United 17/12/16

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heard a lot of shouts towards Dallas today... But was the referee not Greg Aitken?

Decent point. Even at 1-0 and 11v11 I wasn't sure we would see the game out. Sending off looked harsh but would need to see it again.

For what it's worth I thought the away support was excellent today. The bottom of the league is becoming really congested so these next few games are crucial.

1 minute ago, buddie06smfc said:

Why is McCall focusing on the decision in the build up? We had another corner after the one he is disputing. He should be questioning his teams defending rather than a referees decision of which hasn't a clue whether it was right or wrong having not seen a replay.

Pretty sure he can question his teams defending as well as the decision. They aren't mutually exclusive. 

Pretty sure he can question his teams defending as well as the decision. They aren't mutually exclusive. 

Sitting in the main stand I witnessed the linesman & the referee take the blame for the goal. One of the other staff had a hissy fit and threw his water bottle away while heading for the linesman. It was very much all the referees fault according to the Ayr Utd staff. I've no doubt McCall will come out blaming the referee.

33 minutes ago, Young Eddie said:

400 away fans is about 40% of our average home fan attendances. Wonder which other clubs have such a high % of away support?. It's like Hibs taking over 5000 to away games.

We do, and just like with us it's more a sign that our home supports are way below the level they should be, rather than the away support being amazing.

45 minutes ago, Mgc1910 said:

I think McCall just wanted to show a bit of solidarity with the fans - the away support have been magnificent all season despite having some bitter pills to swallow.  We were poor today, but we still looked on for 3 points until Andrew "yer only here because of your dad" Dallas decided to get involved.

Wisnae Andrew Dallas 

4 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

"Hah you only drew 1-1 away from home with ten men. Take that McCall."

Imagine trying to rub a 1-1 draw in. What a mentalist.

As others have said, it was McAll who was celebrating the 1-1 draw like a petulant eight year old, and this was a reaction to that.

I'd wager that if you took a similar photo of any support, then you'd get a similar amount of ugliness.

Except for either of the bigot brothers who excel in their ugliness, with respect to both in their looks and their "religious" beliefs.

4 hours ago, buddie06smfc said:

Had the guy made an attempt for the ball, yes a yellow. No attempt for the ball and a dangerous challenge. Stupid from the Ayr player as we didn't look like we were going to score.

We were by far the better team, Ayr are an awful team. McCall going mental at the corner decision in the build up to the goal, his team had many opportunities to defend better - the referee isn't to blame for that.

St Mirren fans treatment of Shankland today was completely ridiculous. He was our best player last week and had a decent game today. Missed a penalty and folk are happy to see him replaced by David Clarkson, baffling.

Agree on Shankland. Had no problem with him starting (don't think he will next week!), although he was poor today and shouldn't have been on the penalty. The abuse he was getting was ridiculous, not as if he missed it deliberately. Although maybe he did to troll Lex, in which case fair play to the boy. At least we managed to bounce back from our usual f**k up this time.

2 hours ago, AUFC10 said:

Heard a lot of shouts towards Dallas today... But was the referee not Greg Aitken?

Decent point. Even at 1-0 and 11v11 I wasn't sure we would see the game out. Sending off looked harsh but would need to see it again.

For what it's worth I thought the away support was excellent today. The bottom of the league is becoming really congested so these next few games are crucial.

Think it was meant to be Dallas as I saw during the week it was him, but team sheet definitely said Aitken. Not sure what happened there.

He was pretty quick to give the penalty and the red card. Thought the sending off was a bit harsh, unless the referee took into the account the blatant cynical nature of the challenge. Was shocked to hear McCall afterwards admit it probably was a red card.

You could argue that, having given the penalty, the ref could easily have sent Cairney off for preventing a clear goalscoring opportunity, although the rule changed on that one over the summer.

No problem with McCall showing a bit of passion . I was convinced we could win it until the final whistle . We are getting there.

1482013220450.jpg

Yep, 'nearly' beating the second worst team in the league, reduced to ten men, at home, is a clear sign that Saint Mirren are "getting there".

To Brechin and East Fife, presumably. Down you go.

1482013345717.jpg

Agree with the sentiment that this feels like two points dropped considering we were in control for the most part. However, I'm still in disbelief that I was watching a semi-competent St. Mirren side again. Considering the start to the season it's been a fantastic couple of weeks. Granted 1-1 home draws with teams directly above us won't help our fight for survival, but the performances are a couple of small but significant steps in the right direction.

January will be huge, and will decide our fate this season, not this result or similar setbacks such as the 3-1 loss to Falkirk.

Archived