There's yer dinner

I normally make Christmas dinner and love doing it. I go traditional and do turkey and a huge ham. I like as many veg and trimmings as possible. Even though there's usually 10ish for dinner I can eat off the leftovers for days.

This year we're going to her brother's place, so that ain't happening. I don't really know what I'll do with myself. Luckily her brother and his wife are both decent cooks, so I'm looking forward to it. I've been advised that there will be soup, prawn cocktail or smoked salmon, turkey, 3 different kinds of potatoes, carrots, parsnips, brussels sprouts... There should also be very good gravy, which I appreciate. I've offered to knock up a ham and a terrine, as there's going to be 18 people which is a crazy number to cope with. I don't like puddings, so no idea what's planned there. I'll bring some cheeses and wine.

Plus: no washing up and I probably won't need to go for a lie down (which turned into a sleep) at about 6.

Negative: no leftovers.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Going to my sisters where everything will be M&S . Surely can't f**k that up? 

She's still mates with my ex so she's going with my 3 kids.  

All good tbh as i get to see my kids and the dog.  

I'll stay until my ex and sis start to get pished.  Once that happens I'll take my mum and dad home. f**k listening to that.  

Drop them then off to girlfriends.  She's a chef so be something decent waiting. 

Couple of drinks with her.  Maybe some mdma or just a doobie. See how the night goes. 

Just now, The Naitch said:

OFTWIMHO

Can't believe you don't like desserts. Not even Viennetta?

It's not that I think they're horrible, I can appreciate that chocolate, ice cream etc. taste nice. I just find that more than a spoon is too rich. Sugar makes me feel a bit ill later anyway.

33 minutes ago, milton75 said:

It's not that I think they're horrible, I can appreciate that chocolate, ice cream etc. taste nice. I just find that more than a spoon is too rich. Sugar makes me feel a bit ill later anyway.

Aye but a good cheeseboard is top notch.  Tbh I'll probably have both (M&S obviously).  

Salmon and Mousse for starter, Turkey with all the trimmings and a strawberry Gateux for pudding.

This is going to be a strange Xmas for me. My grandad is coming for tea, it's the first Christmas without my granny and he's never came before so I'm a bit nervous. Then on Boxing Day it'll be a roast in front of the football with him and my dad.

No idea about Hogmanay, I might be at my girlfriends mothers for drinks. Her dad Lives in Dubai and had mooted the idea of flying us out for the weekend but that went to shit unfortunately.

Xmas eve will be a night in the pub with a chippy with friends.

9 hours ago, Heart of Northern said:

Aye but a good cheeseboard is top notch.  Tbh I'll probably have both (M&S obviously).  

A good cheeseboard is heaven on earth. Always my choice of "dessert" if available.

1 hour ago, Rugster said:

A good cheeseboard is heaven on earth. Always my choice of "dessert" if available.

Oh 100% but you can ram paté.  Can't stand it and my mum always buys me it every fckn year without fail. 

Dont know how many time's I've told her don't bother 

2 minutes ago, Heart of Northern said:

Oh 100% but you can ram paté.  Can't stand it and my mum always buys me it every fckn year without fail. 

Dont know how many time's I've told her don't bother 

I love pate too. Pate for starter, cheese for dessert, and steak in between would probably be my death row meal. Maybe lobster instead of steak. Maybe prawn instead of pate. f**k, actually I don't know now!

1 hour ago, Rugster said:

4 minutes ago, Rugster said:

I love pate too. Pate for starter, cheese for dessert, and steak in between would probably be my death row meal. 

After the horrrors of the cold toast, Rugster pulls it back from the brink with a nailed on title-winning starter/dessert.

Death row three course meal would be a good thread. 

For the record 

Chicken Pakora

sirlion steak, peppercorn sauce, chips and veg 

sticky toffee pudding

Pint of lager

3 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

For the record 

Chicken Pakora

sticky toffee pudding

Pint of lager

Started one just a few minutes ago in Gen Nonsense. Great minds.

For the record 
Chicken Pakora

sticky toffee pudding

Pint of lager

I'd just go for 10 pints of lager - not as if you're needing to worry about the hangover is it.

3 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I'd just go for 10 pints of lager - not as if you're needing to worry about the hangover is it.

Would help stall the inevitable for a bit as well. 

Down South for Christmas this year, my daughter back from Uni, has roped us in to do the Soup run on Christmas Eve, then a family lunch after Church on Christmas Day, 9 of us. My Mother & Mrs Rab won't let us anywhere near the kitchen, so hopefully a couple of pints in the local beforehand. Then a few days catching up with extended family and friends then back up the road for the game on the 31st.

Archived