Do Celtic fans think every other city has a mini Old Firm?

I'm just thinking, we've got the whole stereotype of Edinburgh but does the misconception extend to other cities such as Manchester? Trouble at the City game the other night, maybe they think City=Rangers fans and United=Celtic fans? When you consider the likes of Noel Gallagher, all a bit daft. I wouldn't even describe ourselves and Chelsea as being the London Old Firm, the London Edinburgh clubs if anything...

13 hours ago, Arsenal till I die said:

I'm just thinking, we've got the whole stereotype of Edinburgh but does the misconception extend to other cities such as Manchester? Trouble at the City game the other night, maybe they think City=Rangers fans and United=Celtic fans? When you consider the likes of Noel Gallagher, all a bit daft. I wouldn't even describe ourselves and Chelsea as being the London Old Firm, the London Edinburgh clubs if anything...

No.

16 hours ago, Arsenal till I die said:

If you go back 60 years or so there was a bit of a Protestant vs RC angle with City and United in Manchester. Manchester Celtic was also considered when Man U changed their name from Newton Heath in 1902. Now I think the stereotype of who does what is more that real Mancunians support City, while gloryhunters from the surrounding towns and further afield support United.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/comment-why-rangers-hate-the-reds-1154705

5 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

That was my thought as well.  And Chelsea - Fulham.  Sky seem to have invented this rivalry between Arsenal and Chelsea

I'd even go as far as to say that your average Chelsea fan would consider West Ham and Millwall to be bigger rivals than Arsenal. 

6 minutes ago, TheCelt67 said:

I'd even go as far as to say that your average Chelsea fan would consider West Ham and Millwall to be bigger rivals than Arsenal. 

The arsenal and Chelsea rivalry is only fully embraced by the new age sky premiership fans , even Man U and arsenal were not proper rivals in the traditional sense . They just happened to be the two teams going toe to toe for the title between the late 90's to mid noughties as they had the two best squads , see Newcastle Utd and man Utd in the mid nineties also .obviously this made them rivals and competitors and sometimes the players emotions boiled over on the pitch but the hate between the fans was never the same as what man united had for Liverpool and city or arsenal had for Tottenham . 

I don't think the hatred between Arsenal and Spurs comes anywhere what the old firm have in terms of both long term rival and general fundamental hatred of one another. Liverpool Man Utd comes the closest but it's only usually the travelling fans causing bother, most the regular nutters at Old Trafford and Anfield are in the minority with the stadiums packed with tourists on a day out or fairly sensible working professionals.

Chelsea, West Ham and Millwall seem to still have their nutters but nothing like it was in the 80's and still nowhere like the old firm.

Cheers for the replies. I should clarify it's definitely Tottenham for me, but Chelsea is the closest we've come to a political rivalry. That and the northern clubs, whose fans blame Londoners for the Tories when they're too thick to go on Electoral Calculus. Man United was bad purely because other than Spurs there was no-one else, well not until that night at Elland Road in 99...

Archived