Queen's Park v Albion Rovers

Surely we have to take something off them at some point? It's getting ridiculous now. We did win 4-0 against an absolute makeshift Rovers side when we were rooted to the foot of League Two, but it's been nearly six years since we beat them in a truly meaningful game. Both sides in decent form and will fancy their chances. Quite important for us to win, or at least not lose, this one given that we've got Alloa and Livi away in the following games. 

Surely we have to take something off them at some point? It's getting ridiculous now. We did win 4-0 against an absolute makeshift Rovers side when we were rooted to the foot of League Two, but it's been nearly six years since we beat them in a truly meaningful game.

Ah yes the match before our replay against Rangers when I think the kitman, club announcer and the woman that works in the pie shop got a game.

Anyway to Saturday, if we demolish Queens 6-0 and Alloa lose their match by 6 goals then we could finish the weekend in 4th [emoji849]

Queens have picked up a bit since we met at Cliftonhill a few weeks ago so should be a tough game.

Il predict a 3-1 victory for Rovers

Our recent good form is masking our lack of firepower up front and again last week defenders and set-plays made the difference. So it's all still a bit fragile and unpredictable. But these guys have proved many times already they'll battle the whole game and with the midfielders starting to bag a few goals my hopes are high for halting our painfully poor run against Rovers. Can't see us losing 3 goals but can see both teams scoring so a draw or single goal advantage seems likely. Current form is in our favour too so a 2-1 for QP is my shout. Hope Gus sticks with his starting line-up from last week.

In our Great History season, this is the team we've played most against and I regard it as our best attempt at a derby (gutted Airdrie mugged the Hogmanay fixture). From 187 games Rovers have just 3 more wins than QP. It'll be just as tight on Saturday.

1 hour ago, attendant said:

1v0 Rovers as ever

Spot-on assessment. We'll dominate, create a good few chances but fail to take them. Both Dunlop brothers will be booked for jersey pulling or obstruction just when we looked to be finding an opening, and then we'll be hit on the counter attack just after half time. 'Rovers will then sit-in even deeper than before, we'll become frustrated and and resort to playing long balls which the Dunlops will mop up with ease before the game peters out to its inevitable conclusion.

I'll tell you, honestly, I will love it if we beat them. Love it..........but we're as much this mob's bitches as Clyde are ours!

12 hours ago, Bold Rover said:

Again, I'd be happy with a draw. I'd have settled for two points from our last two games, so three was superb. Ticking along nicely for a 5th place finish. Although with Brechin going backwards, you never know.

Agree, a point away from home is acceptable. Although Rovers like QP have done better away from home this season.

Thought Queens passed the ball about well in the earlier game at Cliftonhill but lacked a cutting edge up front

Spot-on assessment. We'll dominate, create a good few chances but fail to take them. Both Dunlop brothers will be booked for jersey pulling or obstruction just when we looked to be finding an opening, and then we'll be hit on the counter attack just after half time. 'Rovers will then sit-in even deeper than before, we'll become frustrated and and resort to playing long balls which the Dunlops will mop up with ease before the game peters out to its inevitable conclusion.

I'll tell you, honestly, I will love it if we beat them. Love it..........but we're as much this mob's bitches as Clyde are ours!

We don't bother with poor Diddy teams like queens park

Lol do enjoy the games always tight and entertaining.

Will be doing hospitality on Saturday so should be a good day out

Football must be the only sport in the world where you look at the stats where we have won 7 in a row, and think, they are due to gubb us on saturday

On ‎07‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 23:15, sam2304 said:

Queens have picked up a bit since we met at Cliftonhill a few weeks ago so should be a tough game.

Your definition of " a few weeks ago" differs a wee bit from mine. Was it no the 1st of October?? 

On 8 December 2016 at 18:24, The Spider said:

That seems to be as accurate description as last few games as I've read anywhere 

No Rovers fan who was at the match can complain of the result. Queens played them off the park and it should have been 4 or 5 . The effort and tempo of the Queens team was brilliant ---really looked they wanted to win ---- really enjoying watching the team at the moment. 

Special mention to Bryan Wharton who came in for Gibby and played a belter. Jamie McKernon has made a massive difference on his return ---- I could go through the whole team and sing their praises suffice to say they are playing as a unit and the recent form shows that.

What originally started as a 'staying up' excercise has now become a possible play off place ----- keep it going Queens !!.

Best home performance of the season imo just a pity we didn't make the scoreline more comfortable
Not complaining but strange most un Rovers like performance
Usually compact combative and really hard to break down but we seemed to have plenty of space in midfield and woods showed what a good player he can be with time on the ball [emoji106]

41 minutes ago, Alf Stamp Army said:

Not complaining but strange most un Rovers like performance. Usually compact combative and really hard to break down but we seemed to have plenty of space in midfield.

Agree with that Alf. Not sure whether 'Rovers just had an off day, we we were too hot for them to handle or both. Based on what we saw for the 20 minutes before half time we should have romped it, but being Queen's of course we were left sweating a bit for the last twenty. I think part of 'Rovers problem is that neither Mick Dunlop or Mark Ferry are the most mobile of players these days, and unlike the tight pitch at Coatbridge, Hampden gave us acres of space to get our passing game going and their midfield was collectively too slow to be able to close us down, whilst Woods revelled in the space behind them and looks to have got his mojo back. Special mention from me to Gus though, as tactically he got it spot on by playing three at the back (whether enforced by Gibby's absence or not) and personally I though Millen just shaded it for MOM as he revelled in playing higher up the field and put some superb passes and crosses into the box. For all our great play and six efforts on target, ironic that we owed the three points to an absolute howler from their 'keeper - from what i could tell the ball didn't swerve or take a deflection, so WTF was he doing? Love all the play-off optimism, and perhaps rightly so, but I'd still take 8th place if it was offered to us right here and now. God help us if we did make the play-offs, and by some miracle went up..........we'd lose Gus and half the squad, so I'm just thankful that we are more than punching above our weight right now, and long may it continue. Zanatta is playing his part too..............wonder how long we can keep that loan deal going for?

Nothing much to add to all the comments above, but credit to Gus.              Good shape, work rate and organisation, and the confidence to keep focus after losing the early goal.

Yeah Rovers were strangely toothless,  maybe the midweek game but they looked tired.   Liked the look of their number 10, but I'd be frustrated watching Wallace on a regular basis.

Great to turn that around, it was getting tedious. 

It may well all  unravel but having sat through 2013/14 when we won five games all season and ended with a goal difference of -32, I'll enjoy myself while I can!

Archived