18 Team Lowland League?

honestman54

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, edinabear said:

I don't know if that would improve the situation. We need to try and raise the standard the EofS and SofS first and then there is the whole Junior problem

No they've said the limit would be 16, too avoid having too many games like the HL

As mentioned above it's been widely reported that LL would be "capped" at 16 clubs - which is what has been worked up to over the last 4yrs going 12, 14, 15 now 16 - and that if the bottom club in SPFL2 is south of the Tay and the HL champion is promoted an extra club would be relegated to EOSL or SOSL... Hence why teams will be aiming to avoid the bottom 2, although 15th would likely be OK.

South of the Tay the other licensed clubs are Edusport, St Cuthbert, Threave, Wigtown (all SOSL), with Newton Stewart having to make the standard to retain their SFA membership; Burntisland and Coldstream (both EOSL); Girvan and Linlithgow (both Juniors); Glasgow Uni (Amateurs).

I suppose 16 has some benefit in comparison to 18. Not having an extra 4 league games to fit in means more flexibility - LL plays fewer midweek games, has taken a Christmas break when it falls on a weekend, and there is a bit less of a mid-table to get bogged down in. There doesn't need to be a preliminary round in the LL Cup. Also in contrast to HL not all the LL clubs have floodlights.

Make a comparison with the old EOSL Premier Division, where the majority of LL clubs originated, and 16 clubs is a big increase anyway. Since the late 1980s it had just 10 and latterly 12.

That must have also led to a change in the sporting dynamic. Not only is there more quality now, but the league is a 30 game endurance race - not an 18 or 22 game periodic sprint.

58 minutes ago, Northboy said:

It has to happen that a team will be relegated from the SFL into the LL and be replaced by a team fro the HL or vice versa. Does anyone know if either the LL or HL have arrangements in place for such a scenario?

It's already been explained that the LL will relegate an "extra" team to keep themselves at 16 teams, if a lowland team is relegated from SPFL 2, and the Highland League champions go up. The Highland League would most likely carry on with 17 teams only, although they might elect in Banks O' Dee, or similar.

Should a highland team be relegated and the Lowland League champions go up, I assume an extra team would be promoted into the LL from below, but I'm not sure if that is incorporated in their rules. The Highland League would then have a problem, assuming they still had 18 teams.

The East Kilbride manager was interviewed at the start of the season and said something along the lines of there being an east west split in the lowland league and it would include under 20 sides.

I've tried to find the link but I think the article has since edited it out so perhaps he gave away too much or was talking shite!

I would hope that this would happen rather than expanding the lowland league as it might interest a few juniors then

Newton Stewart also now have plans for a covered terrace so should hopefully get their licence soon. I'm not sure how ambitious they are but Geordie Grierson left a couple of years ago claiming he had been told that the job was to get them into the lowland league.

Also seen on twitter that Duns should be getting a seated stand in place pre Christmas though remains to be seen what level their first team will be playing at next season. I noticed their chairman made a comment about LL/SFA having destroyed the East of Scotland league so might have ambitions elsewhere

On 2016/12/08 at 19:02, calmac25 said:

The East Kilbride manager was interviewed at the start of the season and said something along the lines of there being an east west split in the lowland league and it would include under 20 sides.

I've tried to find the link but I think the article has since edited it out so perhaps he gave away too much or was talking shite!

I would hope that this would happen rather than expanding the lowland league as it might interest a few juniors then

http://www.thejuniors.info/2016/06/ek-boss-happy-decision-join-lowland-league-side/

What about the bigger clubs that may have more ambition?

“I think there maybe an overhaul next year in the Lowland League or so I hear, there’s going to be Celtic and Rangers Colts all going into a new regionalised league that’s being worked on just now. “I think the junior teams should look at it, but as I say it maybe a finance thing and you need a backer if you want to go and go the whole way.

3 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

http://www.thejuniors.info/2016/06/ek-boss-happy-decision-join-lowland-league-side/

What about the bigger clubs that may have more ambition?

“I think there maybe an overhaul next year in the Lowland League or so I hear, there’s going to be Celtic and Rangers Colts all going into a new regionalised league that’s being worked on just now. “I think the junior teams should look at it, but as I say it maybe a finance thing and you need a backer if you want to go and go the whole way.

With those in charge of EK's links to McMoist it's no surprise they're coming out with this wish fulfilment pish who think Scottish football should allow the Two Cheeks to franchise their hate & bile over every league they can like McDonalds & Burger King.

Those to whom the non-leagues are just their "wee teams" & long for the day they can support a Mini Me version in the Lowlands, here's your answer - when Hell freezes over.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8 December 2016 at 17:11, calmac25 said:

Newton Stewart also now have plans for a covered terrace so should hopefully get their licence soon. I'm not sure how ambitious they are but Geordie Grierson left a couple of years ago claiming he had been told that the job was to get them into the lowland league.

Also seen on twitter that Duns should be getting a seated stand in place pre Christmas though remains to be seen what level their first team will be playing at next season. I noticed their chairman made a comment about LL/SFA having destroyed the East of Scotland league so might have ambitions elsewhere

On 10/12/2016 at 22:52, WaffenThinMint said:

With those in charge of EK's links to McMoist it's no surprise they're coming out with this wish fulfilment pish who think Scottish football should allow the Two Cheeks to franchise their hate & bile over every league they can like McDonalds & Burger King.

Given recent developments it looks like they had their finger on the pulse and you should maybe check out what has happened in recent years in Portugal and Holland on colt teams. There is a genuine player development angle at work on this rather than a cynical attempt to further cash in on the two largest fanbases in the country.

5 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Given recent developments it looks like they had their finger on the pulse and you should maybe check out what has happened in recent years in Portugal and Holland on colt teams. There is a genuine player development angle at work on this rather than a cynical attempt to further cash in on the two largest fanbases in the country.

Pishflaps. Wish fulfilment fantasies from another closet Current who wants to be able to abandon your "wee team" for the B-team no matter how disastrous it will be for Scottish football as a whole if the Bigot Brothers are allowed to run extra franchises for their bile & hate - bad enough that certain Junior sides trade & survive on being wink & nudge diet versions of Scotland's Shame.

As has been commented on elsewhere such as the Division 2 threads, there is no support at all for this amongst Scottish fans outside of the Axis of Evil fans (open or otherwise) & any attempt to force them into the league will not be tolerated. The bad old days where the SFA could simply impose pro-Old Firm changes & everyone just had to lump it are over - they died in 2012 & ain't coming back.

There really aren't a lot of teams who can realistically be promoted to the Lowland League right now.  The East of Scotland League is dominated by teams which are unlicensed (LTHV and Leith, Tynecastle have done pretty well in recent seasons too).  Only Coldstream and Burntisland are licensed and neither look like they will be winning the league any time soon.  Coldstream have finished 11th, 9th and 8th in the last three seasons.  Burntisland 13th, 14th and 16th. 

At least in the South of Scotland League, the strongest teams are the ones which are licensed.  Wigtown, St. Cuthbert, Edusport and Threave.  It will be interesting to see what happens in terms of promotion and relegation from/to the Lowland League over the next few years.  If teams like Selkirk and Preston are to get relegated then how would they compete against the likes of LTHV and Leith in the EoS and how would the top South teams do in the Lowland League? 

I think that if you were to increase the Lowland League to 18 teams right now, then you'd likely add two relatively weak teams to the league (you only have two EoS, four SoS and Glasgow Uni as options, Linlithgow and Girvan presumably aren't interested) and make relegation from the Lowland League less likely as you'd be taking away two of the licensed teams from the level below.

• 7 months later...
On 19 December 2016 at 20:34, WaffenThinMint said:

Pishflaps. Wish fulfilment fantasies from another closet Current who wants to be able to abandon your "wee team" for the B-team no matter how disastrous it will be for Scottish football as a whole if the Bigot Brothers are allowed to run extra franchises for their bile & hate - bad enough that certain Junior sides trade & survive on being wink & nudge diet versions of Scotland's Shame.

As has been commented on elsewhere such as the Division 2 threads, there is no support at all for this amongst Scottish fans outside of the Axis of Evil fans (open or otherwise) & any attempt to force them into the league will not be tolerated. The bad old days where the SFA could simply impose pro-Old Firm changes & everyone just had to lump it are over - they died in 2012 & ain't coming back.

Seems your wrong, the Colt teams will arrive next summer in the Lowland League.

Archived