St Mirren vs Raith Rovers

Must admit I'm quite glad it won't be us that suffers the embarrassment of gifting St Mirren their first win of the season on Saturday. That result against Queens also helped keep them behind us which was a bonus. Issue for us is St Mirren might feel galvanised and be confident going into the game. We've been a poor outfit for a while now and Bene being out is a big blow for us. Hard one to call but we do have a decent record against St Mirren as of late, wouldn't be overly upset with a draw to be honest. The fixtures are pretty relentless at the moment, looking at our next 6 or so games and they all look difficult. As for Saturday, I'll go for 2-2.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We're coming back down to earth with a bump this weekend. 2-0 Raith. [emoji20]

Nah, Rovers 'clocks go back/Winter collapse' must be due about now. Although I suppose we might hold on and limit it to a post-Xmas slump. I backed Saints on a single earlier in the week when they were 7/2.

6 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Nah, Rovers 'clocks go back/Winter collapse' must be due about now. Although I suppose we might hold on and limit it to a post-Xmas slump. I backed Saints on a single earlier in the week when they were 7/2.

We've scored once in three matches and failed to win since the clocks went back. We've not lost either, granted, but the matches were against 7th, 8th and 9th. 

The winter slump is happening. 

We've scored once in three matches and failed to win since the clocks went back. We've not lost either, granted, but the matches were against 7th, 8th and 9th. 

We're not losing games at home to Alloa and drawing home games with Dumbarton yet. Am I in denial?

Livi used to confirm the slump by bending us over.

14 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

We're not losing games at home to Alloa and drawing home games with Dumbarton yet. Am I in denial?

Livi used to confirm the slump by bending us over.

Those matches actually happened in January, when we were in the middle of the squad transformation - Daly and Wighton were gone, but the likes of Hardie, Connolly and Harry were yet to come in (Longridge played in both, but was shite). Fe-Barr-y was still a long way off too.

The slump began last year with Livi bending us over though (3-0), you're right there - we followed it up by throwing away a home match to Falkirk, throwing away a three goal lead at Dumbarton, and throwing away a lead against some black and white mob from Paisley. 

Incidentally Jack Ross has faced us three times as a manager, all three as serious underdogs with Alloa - two 1-0 wins for Alloa at Stark's Park (to put into context, two of our four home defeats in 2016), and a 1-1 draw at the Recs where we equalised in injury time. Seems to have our number...

Those matches actually happened in January, when we were in the middle of the squad transformation - Daly and Wighton were gone, but the likes of Hardie, Connolly and Harry were yet to come in (Longridge played in both, but was shite). Fe-Barr-y was still a long way off too.

The slump began last year with Livi bending us over though (3-0), you're right there - we followed it up by throwing away a home match to Falkirk, throwing away a three goal lead at Dumbarton, and throwing away a lead against some black and white mob from Paisley. 

Incidentally Jack Ross has faced us three times as a manager, all three as serious underdogs with Alloa - two 1-0 wins for Alloa at Stark's Park (to put into context, two of our four home defeats in 2016), and a 1-1 draw at the Recs where we equalised in injury time. Seems to have our number...

Ahhh! But now we have G-g-g-g g g Gary Locke, Gary, Gary Locke, Gary Locke, Gary Gary Locke (to KC and Sunshine Band - Baby Give it Up). He'll out tic tac the likes of Jack Ross. Jack won't fathom out our pump the ball up the park tactic.

I still don't think 3 draws count as a slump. A run of defeats count as a slump. Looking back at the last couple of seasons that happens December/January. Strap yourself in.

The results maybe havent been awful, but the performances havent been good at all.  Dumbarton away in particular was dreadful. 

Our performances are regularly fucking awful to watch and have been for years and years. The only short blip was the last third of last season where we were great to watch.

27 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Jack won't fathom out our pump the ball up the park tactic.

You've not seen our first conceded goal from the other night, I assume. Long, lofted ball over the full back basically causes utter chaos and leads to an easy tap-in.

You've not seen our first conceded goal from the other night, I assume. Long, lofted ball over the full back basically causes utter chaos and leads to an easy tap-in.

In which case, prepare to be gubbed. Except we don't have a player who can do anything with the punts upfield.

2 hours ago, Paco said:

I'm a sad b*****d, let's get that straight, right off the bat.

So here's the point averages/month in the league going back to the 2011/2012 season. Obviously one weakness in this analysis is that we don't play the same number of games per month, and that get's ironed out by averaging over a month. For example we played twice in December last year but seven times in March, which gives you a sense of how important that ends up being to the final points tally (and in terms of last season breaks up the idea of a bad winter spell, even though it was only a win and a draw).

Still, it does show that the winter slump, clocks go back thing is half myth. We tend to get off to a flyer (the one time we didn't we were nearly relegated) and January seems to be the absolute worst month for us consistently (ironically, Murray's last season in charge - we are quite good that month). I think the winter slump thing really comes about from the 13/14 slump that lasted 2/3rds of a season (c.f. Queens this year), and you can clearly see the effects of McKinnon's January signings last yearRaith points.JPG...

Saints have not beaten Raith Rovers in over 11 years, dating back to a 3-0 win at Love Street in April 2005.

If we defend as poorly as we did in the 1st half on Tuesday night then that run will keep going.

If however we play like we did in the 2nd half, we might give ourselves a fighting chance.

Still hard to know what Tuesday meant if anything at all. Psychologically we should have got a huge boost from it, but at the end of the day QoS are in a tailspin right now whereas Raith look to me like a dogged side that is capable of picking up points even when not playing particularly well.

Does Andy Webster still get a game for St Mirren? He was atrocious in the game at Kirkcaldy in August.

He's been injured for a while now. We are down to 2 centre backs just now.

If we are to win this game it will be down to cutting out any defensive errors and the drive and skill from our young midfield. Don't know what to expect from Raith

1 hour ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

He's been injured for a while now. We are down to 2 centre backs just now.

If we are to win this game it will be down to cutting out any defensive errors and the drive and skill from our young midfield. Don't know what to expect from Raith

Not a hell of a lot. Queens and us back to back is as good a shot at re-starting your season as your likely to get.

3 hours ago, renton said:

Not a hell of a lot. Queens and us back to back is as good a shot at re-starting your season as your likely to get.

We thought that a few weeks ago when we had Dumbarton and Dunfermline back to back in the league with Ayr in the cup sandwiched in between. 

Archived