St Mirren vs Raith Rovers

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyway, back onto the topic in question and it's clear to see that the team on the park is finally looking a lot more settled and not resembling the omnishambles that we were.

For me, the introduction of both Magennis and McAllister has proven to be the key here, both look like they've settled into the side with ease and been there for a few years, rather than being two rookies of 18 and 17 respectively. Not only are both taking their chance but I'd imagine they are now pivotal to the side. I'd genuinely get a bit of the fear if for some reason both were out for an extended period and we had to persevere with Hutton and Gallagher again. They've also effectively given Morgan a shot in the arm where he looked like a player devoid of confidence for a wee spell. Even aside from the goal, he was brilliant yesterday. Everything he did had a sense of purpose about it.

Quinn returning is also more important than I perhaps give it credit for. He's really very effective at what he does without being too dirty or confrontational. If we could only reinforce his glass skeleton, that'd be lovely.

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Anyway, back onto the topic in question and it's clear to see that the team on the park is finally looking a lot more settled and not resembling the omnishambles that we were.

For me, the introduction of both Magennis and McAllister has proven to be the key here, both look like they've settled into the side with ease and been there for a few years, rather than being two rookies of 18 and 17 respectively. Not only are both taking their chance but I'd imagine they are now pivotal to the side. I'd genuinely get a bit of the fear if for some reason both were out for an extended period and we had to persevere with Hutton and Gallagher again. They've also effectively given Morgan a shot in the arm where he looked like a player devoid of confidence for a wee spell. Even aside from the goal, he was brilliant yesterday. Everything he did had a sense of purpose about it.

Quinn returning is also more important than I perhaps give it credit for. He's really very effective at what he does without being too dirty or confrontational. If we could only reinforce his glass skeleton, that'd be lovely.

If we have Mallan, Morgan and McLear all at 20 - and Magennis at 18 and McAllister at 17 (really?!) then that's a seriously good crop of midfielders coming through from the academy.

Not much obviously on the forwards front, and only really (potentially) Baird (20) and Stewart (19), and (an oldie now at 22) Naismith in the defence.

However at the moment (with rose coloured specs having won 2 games in a row) if half of these guys end up making the grade that seems like a very decent return.

On 12/10/2016 at 17:05, Big Berk said:

The fans who ridiculed us when Locke was appointed must be laughing their heads off.

Yup.

Good to see the smoke slowly disappearing from his ring, seem to be putting in gutless, impotent performances just in time for the new-year's derby too! :thumsup2

I'd imagine It'll be pretty grim for the next month or so, then the form will pick up a bit and you'll end up nicking the last playoff spot. Morten will fall away after tha tactic of "try to win free-kicks and hope Ross Forbes bails us out" works less and less, especially now that their star player made the foolish mistake of coming within 5 metres of Sean Murdoch.

Queens will revive slightly and level out mid-table, we'll probably do enough to not really be threatened by relegation. Good to see Ayr in trouble though, will likely be them and Dumbarton who go down now.

Great to finally see a home win and clean sheet it's been a depressing season until now. Thought we deserved the win although Raith could have had a penalty at the end during what felt like 8 mins of injury time. I think even more important that the young guys doing so well in midfield is that Gallagher has settled in goal and looking solid, even with Baird suspended and Gordon going off injured we managed to keep a clean sheet with Webster playing for most of the game.

Vital we get 3 points at home to Ayr on Saturday and suddenly we'd be almost caught up with the pack.

Archived