Motherwell vs Kilmarnock 10/12/16

Big game for us, next four games after this includes Aberdeen home and away as well as trips to Perth and Inverness. 

Home form has been pretty good of late though, 2 wins out of 3 scoring 9 goals in the process. However we're still conceding too many goals and that was our undoing on Saturday, albeit against a very good Celtic side. 

Can't see McGhee making many if any changes, could argue Lionel deserves a start but it would be incredibly harsh to drop Maclean after his performance on Saturday.

Keep up a similar performance level to our last 3 games at Fir Park and that should hopefully be enough to secure all 3 points here.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haven't really followed things much since Saturday but McGhee didn't seem clear on Cadden's injury or simply wasn't up for telling people whether it was serious or not, which is fair enough. Would obviously be a huge blow if he's not available.

McMillan played for the 20s last night and Sunday so I'd think it'd mean Hammell starting again.

Regardless of the fixtures through December we should be looking to win our home games anyway. We were absolutely dire against them in February last season when we tried to match up and play McDonald as a lone striker in a 4231. Let's not do that again.

It's been a weird season. Kilmarnock had only conceded once in three games against Hamilton, Celtic and Dundee, then get 5 taken off them at Aberdeen.  Their form is neither good nor bad, just completely inconsistent.

We have only lost 2 out of 9 against 'The Pack', drawn 3 and won 4 so it seems like when we play the teams around us we usually at least a match, if not better them.

Last week was encouraging but we've followed up our last two good performances against Accies and Ross County with poor displays against Dundee and Partick, albeit both away from home.

I suppose a lot will depend on Cadden being fit as we've definitely looked a far stronger attacking outfit with him on the pitch.

On 7 December 2016 at 09:46, capt_oats said:

Haven't really followed things much since Saturday but McGhee didn't seem clear on Cadden's injury or simply wasn't up for telling people whether it was serious or not, which is fair enough. Would obviously be a huge blow if he's not available.

Calf strain apparently, remains to be seen if he'll be fit for Saturday.  

Lee Lucas back training this week though and should be available.

Best get Tyson back in the team. We need that pace and work ethic up front. He'll never score double figureas in a season but I'd be prepared to bet we score more as a team when he plays.

Back with Jones and Coulibaly behind and I quite fancy us to get something. If Coulibaly hasn't pissed off back to the Ivory Coast after being put in that cryo-chamber. He did not look happy.

15 minutes ago, whiskychimp said:

If Coulibaly hasn't pissed off back to the Ivory Coast after being put in that cryo-chamber. He did not look happy.

He looked like he was going to cry. TBF at -130 I'd be a mass of frozen tears and snotters.

10 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

0-1 Killie. 

Motherwell can play us off the park and we'll score a late winner.

That's exactly what happened in the reverse last year, (we didn't quite play them off the park but were by far the better team and lost a late winner - Moult I think).

Think it'll be 2-0 just not sure who to.

We are incapable it seems of turning up for the second half in games but if we do our usual Fir Park first half blitzkrieg and race into a 2-0 lead in the first 30 minutes that should be enough for us to get the win this week. However if it's 0-0 at HT then bet your bottom dollar on it finishing 2-0 to Kilmarnock.

I'll be optimistic and go for 2-0 to us, Moult and McDonald both to score.

Ainsworth in for Cadden, Ferguson in for Hammell. Lucas on the bench. Barry Maguire's a surprise inclusion as a sub.

Motherwell: Samson, Tait, Heneghan, McManus, Ainsworth, Moult, Lasley, Clay, Ferguson, MacLean, McDonald

Motherwell subs: Brill, Bowman, Lucas, Thomas, Campbell, Maguire, Hastie

Archived