Motherwell vs Kilmarnock 10/12/16

Shite. Utter shite game of football. Happy to leave with a point. 

We seem to give at least 3 gilt edge chances per game. Lucky most other teams have shite strikers and Jamie Mcdonald is a quality goalie. 

Moult should have buried his chance as should the other guy ?Mclean? 

Guessing Motherwell fans think they should have won

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We weren't great but certainly had enough chances to win it. Maclean x 2, Ainsworth, Moult and McDonald all had great chances but sadly only once did we even manage to force Macdonald into a save.

If we'd got one I reckon we would have went on to win and maybe even get a few more but you got the feeling after we missed two one on one's at the end of the 1st half it wasn't going to be our day.

Shame Maclean got injured as he looked lively first half, didn't understand the Lucas sub at all considering we had two natural left wingers on the bench. Looked  better once we hooked Lasley(who was very poor again) and Lionel for the two young lads. We were getting too deep at that stage and bringing those two on meant at least we played the last 10 mins or so in Killie's half instead of the edge of our own box.

Ultimately two points dropped when you consider the games we have coming up.

Given the chances for MacLean, Ainsworth, Moult and McDonald we should probably have won that. Fair play to Killie when it looked like we were getting a grip of the game they ended up shutting the game down and turning it into a shitfest. Their centre halves absolutely battered Moult.

Reasonably pleased we managed to avoid shipping a late goal. For all the criticism the defence has taken this season I though we dealt with everything Killie threw at us reasonably well. Tait, Heneghan and McManus had solid games Ferguson looked a bit uncomfortable but can't remember too many errors from him.

Amazed Lasley wasn't subbed off after 20 mins though. Ponderous and wasteful with the ball thought he had an absolute nightmare start to the game. The incident where he got caught dawdling on the ball in his box and ended up needlessly rattling the clearance off the attacker summed things up.

Shout out to the Killie supporter sat behind me in the main stand. Genuinely took me 45 mins to work out he was a Killie fan and not just one of the usual 'well fans you get in the POD on a perma-rage at the team

47 minutes ago, whiskychimp said:

Shite. Utter shite game of football. Happy to leave with a point. 

Guessing Motherwell fans think they should have won

Aye.  We had the four best chances to score.  Kilmarnock were the better team for the first half hour but the closest they went was a Lasley clearance that hit a Kilmarnock player.  

Moult and Ainsworth should have scored, MacLean at least made the keeper save and McDonald was unlucky to see his effort go an inch or two wide.

We missed Cadden big time today but at least four youth players got a run out.

Four away matches out of 5 and the home match is against Aberdeen so we really need to up our game going into the break.

16 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Their centre halves absolutely battered Moult.

Moult took plaudits last week but I would have subbed him today.  We saw the weak side of his game today.  When he was put through clean on goal he just didn't have the pace to get away from the defenders.  Also I think he is too easily bullied.  When teams get physical on him they tend to put him out the game.

Perhaps Bowman could have put himself about a bit more.

Moult took plaudits last week but I would have subbed him today.  We saw the weak side of his game today.  When he was put through clean on goal he just didn't have the pace to get away from the defenders.  Also I think he is too easily bullied.  When teams get physical on him they tend to put him out the game.
Perhaps Bowman could have put himself about a bit more.

I think that's spot on. He's at his best when he's simply asked to be a poacher IMO. I've said since he arrived at the club that while he's a willing runner and you can never question his attitude he's not a player who'll hold the ball up. I thought Killie played him really well today.

1 hour ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Aye.  We had the four best chances to score.  Kilmarnock were the better team for the first half hour but the closest they went was a Lasley clearance that hit a Kilmarnock player.  

Moult and Ainsworth should have scored, MacLean at least made the keeper save and McDonald was unlucky to see his effort go an inch or two wide.

We missed Cadden big time today but at least four youth players got a run out.

Four away matches out of 5 and the home match is against Aberdeen so we really need to up our game going into the break.

What does Cadden bring? 

54 minutes ago, whiskychimp said:

What does Cadden bring? 

Pace, energy, physicality, an attacking mentality, great work ethic.

He's the one player we have who can bring the ball out of midfield into offensive positions and go through defensive lines with his strength and pace.  He keeps the ball on the deck generally and when he's not there our out ball tends to be hoofed.

He's been our best player this season but not only that he's our most important player also in terms of his influence on our play.  We can replace others with inferior versions but we just don't have anyone else in the squad who can even begin to replicate what Cadden does.

Thought we started well but then just faded out of it a bit without looking too much in trouble although Motherwell should have buried those two chances just before HT. 2nd half was pretty much a non event.

Jones was bloody frustrating. He has the ability to get by folk and the pace but the final ball is pretty woeful at times. Thought Taylor and Hendrie were very good.

Good point overall considering the humping midweek.

It was a pleasure to be back a Fir Park after an absence. But bad as this game was I was more disgusted by the comments of both sets of managers. They only saw the fame in terms of themselves. The paying public who were subjected to thus dross? Whatever! Just keep on turning up and give us your money. I'm looking in vain for some reaction from the well society to turn round this arrogance!

The game itself, it was dire. Absolutely dire.

The sad thing about it is I walked away, despite the four good chances we should have put away, thinking 'ah well, at least we didn't lose it', because I've seen that story more than once.

It wasn't Moult's day. The two centre halves played him well. He spent the second half trying to get involved in a physical battle, which he was never going to win, rather than trying to link up play and be the poacher he is.

McDonald never hid at any point, and never gave up trying things, but I felt nothing came off for him.

We missed Cadden big time. It's not until he's not there that you realise just how good he is in this side. Keith Lasley is absolutely done. I gave him some leeway after the Celtic game, as it's understandable he'd get outplayed against those players, but he was so far off the pace it was unreal. We need McHugh back pronto, as well as another one in during the window. As I've said elsewhere, a midfield three of Cadden, McHugh and a returning Pearson in the second half of the season would be ideal.

It's going to be tough for us in for the rest of the year, with i believe four of our five games away from home. Here's hoping we can pull off a surprise or two or we could be bottom at the break.

My thoughts are pretty much the same as Desp's above. We should be winning that type of game and indeed we had the chances to win, but I'm also relieved that we didn't lose as the longer the second half went on I thought it had last minute Killie winner written all over it but fortunately that never came to pass.

On Lasley, it is actually quite painful to watch him out there now as he's so far off the pace but at 37 it's just a case of him being asked to go to the well once too often, so to speak. Cadden not being involved yesterday exposed him and the rest of the midfield all the more and his absence was there for all to see. He's been our player of the season so far IMO.

Archived