Hibs vs Dumbarton

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Regular posters.You know who you are.
Give me a starting 11 and a formation/tactics for next week.
No sarcastic comments.I appreciate that this will not be easy for you.
Surprise me.

Wasnt at todays game but the starting eleven are our strongest players available.

There's no one I'd drop to bring in Stevo or Stanton.

2 hours ago, Kenny Ashwood said:

So let me ask all you so called supporters of DFC that are so critical of Stevie Aitken, what would you change regarding the set up,tactics etc?.
What do you expect him to say at the end of today's game.
He has minimal resources against a full time side with massively disproportionate resources compared to ourselves.
It is laughable the way you insinuate that Stevie's responses are so predictable.
That is because they are honest.
I am a DFC supporter of over 50 years, and am sick of the lack of support and negativity surrounding this forum,
Let's try and support this team and manager,in the knowledge that it is always going to be an uphill struggle in the league we find ourselves.
Do some of the posters on here know what support means?.I doubt it.

About two months ago, I'd read the match preview on the os but it was only when I read the match thread on here that I realised that someone (Gallagher I think) was injured. This was down to switching off as I read Stevie's comments. It'll be a tough game but one we're looking forward to, good week in training etc. 

2013/14 is the benchmark for me. We showed our opponents no respect or fear and had the best season in over 20 years. As So8 has said, attack is the best form of defence.

I still think we can stay up but that belief is becoming harder to believe with each passing week.

Btw, telling folk how long you've supported a club as if it makes you more passionate is the mark of an arsehole. You were born before some people-whooppeedo!

51 minutes ago, Kenny Ashwood said:

Strange,
Still no constructive comments from the regular P&B posters regarding the way forward for the team.
Not as easy as mindless criticism is it?
Maybe I'm wrong.Hope so.

Ideally I'd shunt Pettigrew, Todd, R Thompson, Stirling & Brown et al in January. And bring in replacements. We know that won't or can't happen though.

We've signed too many players from lower Leagues that aren't up to Championship level, it's a huge step up for the likes of Josh Todd from Annan,  we need half decent players (on loan, frees, whatever) from the Championship & Premiership standard.

*Reminiscing about Kane, Brophy, Lindsay, big Stu Findlay now........*

14 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Member since 2008...

Ian Wilson joined our board in 2008...

He seemed to be right up for telling fans he was a better supporter than them at the Trust meeting a few weeks back...

Nah...Surely not...

Nailed it!

He's simply been biding his time & boom, in he comes when we're on our knees & needing the Dalmoak Arena :o

Just to add to my previous post, I've left the Rock disappointed after the games against St Mirren, QoS and Dunfermline despite not losing. All those games were there for the taking if we'd attacked from the beginning rather than wait until the 80th minute!

26 minutes ago, microdave said:

Just to add to my previous post, I've left the Rock disappointed after the games against St Mirren, QoS and Dunfermline despite not losing. All those games were there for the taking if we'd attacked from the beginning rather than wait until the 80th minute!

Add Raith Rovers to that list too.

59 minutes ago, sonsanorak said:

Wasnt at todays game but the starting eleven are our strongest players available.

There's no one I'd drop to bring in Stevo or Stanton.

Agreed, although Robert Thomson was shoved out wide today which frustrated me.  Fleming looked completely off the pace up top and big Thomo might have had more luck as he gave a good battling performance for the majority of the game.  Unfortunately nine times out of then whenever he won the ball there was no one there for him to knock it on/pass it to - something that has happened in quite a few games this season.  I can understand Aitken sticking to a familiar system for arguably the hardest game on the fixture list, but he needs to be more adventurous at home if we've got any chance of taking some points in the next few fixtures.  We're back in 9th place and St Mirren are cutting down the point deficit...

Today we didn't have too many options. So maybe it wasn't a case of changing the starting 11 but why are we shunting our only big striker who is capable of winning the ball in the air to the left wing? He is completely wasted out there and I don't understand why he never got put up front today. He was one of the few who done on during the week vs Bonnyrigg.

So yeah same starting 11 but put Thommo up front, Stirling on the left wing and Todd on the right wing. Fleming was way off the pace today but he is nowhere near as good at winning headers as Thommo and was extremely isolated for the whole game.

I did get the feeling that Stevie deliberately only made one sub to back up his "Small Squad" claims after the match. I.e "We could only make one change..." Even though he managed to bring on one of the young boys last week. Also, McCallum could have come as the team clearly ran out of steam in the last 10/15 mins.

Wow
Come in from work to find something to cheer me up on a Dumbarton thread for once! The last few pages have made me chuckle a bit!
Gotta agree totally with SO8, I'd rather we had a go and put teams under pressure, if we're gonna lose, lose being brace and fighting, not surrendering 1-0/2-0 every week.
Stick 2 up top please Stevie. Thompson needs someone up alongside him and then we might just get the best from him. I really don't see this fascination with every team in the land putting 1 man up front! Let's move from the norm and give our opponents something to think about

1 hour ago, pleslie99 said:

Wow
Come in from work to find something to cheer me up on a Dumbarton thread for once! The last few pages have made me chuckle a bit!
Gotta agree totally with SO8, I'd rather we had a go and put teams under pressure, if we're gonna lose, lose being brace and fighting, not surrendering 1-0/2-0 every week.
Stick 2 up top please Stevie. Thompson needs someone up alongside him and then we might just get the best from him. I really don't see this fascination with every team in the land putting 1 man up front! Let's move from the norm and give our opponents something to think about

Our biggest problem today was the one man up front was Garry and he can't play the lone striker role even as well as Thommo, who isn't that great up there on his own. Try both together maybe? 

Didn't we play Thommo and Donald together in the recent home match vs Raith? Whatever happened to that approach?

Our formation was the same as it's been for weeks, with Shinnie deeper and Boyle behind the striker.

Bartley is useless in front of a back three, Shinnie just played in his usual position for most of the game and Boyle is never a CAM in a million years. It was disjointed as f**k and there was basically no midfield for most of the game. Absolutely abysmal from us until McGeough came on and what do you know, we scored a minute later and actually strung two passes together from then on.

The positives are the three points and the corners. Absolutely sick of these floaty dinked efforts. All the guys that come up are only in the 5"11-6"1 type of range but can attack a ball well. Just smash them in like Cummings did today (and Keating s has done previously) and we'll score plenty from them.

Think come January Lennon will sign the right players in the right positions and we will pull away from Dundee United. Badly need to go back to a back 4 and get a couple of wingers in to provide crosses and width rather than watching Stevenson hitting the first man and Gray going forward and struggling to get back.

Once Everyone is fit I wouldn't have Shinnie in the team. Far too inconsistent and I'd rather see Keatings in behind the strikers with mcgeouch, McGinn and Fyvie behind him when we play without wingers from January onward. Holt and Cummings up top. Changing strikers all the time can't be helping as players aren't being given the time to strike up a relationship with their strike partner. All in all a frustrating season so far but we are still top.

7 hours ago, squeezeboxson said:

Today we didn't have too many options. So maybe it wasn't a case of changing the starting 11 but why are we shunting our only big striker who is capable of winning the ball in the air to the left wing? He is completely wasted out there and I don't understand why he never got put up front today. He was one of the few who done on during the week vs Bonnyrigg.

So yeah same starting 11 but put Thommo up front, Stirling on the left wing and Todd on the right wing. Fleming was way off the pace today but he is nowhere near as good at winning headers as Thommo and was extremely isolated for the whole game.

I did get the feeling that Stevie deliberately only made one sub to back up his "Small Squad" claims after the match. I.e "We could only make one change..." Even though he managed to bring on one of the young boys last week. Also, McCallum could have come as the team clearly ran out of steam in the last 10/15 mins.

'cos, #stevieaitkentacticalgenius

12 hours ago, Kenny Ashwood said:

So let me ask all you so called supporters of DFC that are so critical of Stevie Aitken, what would you change regarding the set up,tactics etc?.
What do you expect him to say at the end of today's game.
He has minimal resources against a full time side with massively disproportionate resources compared to ourselves.
It is laughable the way you insinuate that Stevie's responses are so predictable.
That is because they are honest.
I am a DFC supporter of over 50 years, and am sick of the lack of support and negativity surrounding this forum,
Let's try and support this team and manager,in the knowledge that it is always going to be an uphill struggle in the league we find ourselves.
Do some of the posters on here know what support means?.I doubt it.

Aye awrite Stevie ya roaster. 

Member since 2008...

Ian Wilson joined our board in 2008...

He seemed to be right up for telling fans he was a better supporter than them at the Trust meeting a few weeks back...

Nah...Surely not...

My money would be on Callum Hosie, joined the same the same time as Wilson as a brabco director, genuine fan whos family have been involved in the club for decades and displayed an abrasive debating style at the trust AGM.

All boxes ticked.

Archived