Social Clubs and Trays

Cosmic Joe

Is this just a Dundee thing? On buying a drink (or drinks) you are required, by order of the committee, to place drink(s) on a tray before taking them back to your seat.

It's madness. Trying to balance a solitary pint, skiting around on a tray while negotiating your way round a packed bar. Far more likely for spillages or breakages to occur than simply carrying your pint to your seat...   

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few of the Bowling clubs in and around Clydebank are also pretty insistent on this. Handy enough in that setting though as generally I've only ever been in for parties and been getting a round for the table I am at. Pain in the arse if you are buying a single drink though, aye.

2nd job - I work in a Social Club in the north east odd weekends, paid to watch the football.

No rule insisting on using trays, in fact if anyone asks for a tray they receive the standard barman joke -

' What you want a tray for, have you no got enough to carry as it is ? '

Fussy drinkers and breweries' marketing departments introducing branded/different shaped glasses are to blame.  When the order was, say, "three pints of lager and a pint of heavy" they were all served in straight glasses and you could easily carry 4 of them.  No chance of doing it if it's say, a Peroni, a Stella, a pint of Doom Bar and a bottle of Magners.

Several of my former in-laws were members at the Fairfield WMC in Govan. There were two rules that I can remember:

1. No women at the bar.

2. All drinks to be carried from the bar on a tray.

There was also an unwritten rule that men vacated the main hall and went into the snooker room while the bingo was on. This was nearly 20 years ago though.

50 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Fussy drinkers and breweries' marketing departments introducing branded/different shaped glasses are to blame.  When the order was, say, "three pints of lager and a pint of heavy" they were all served in straight glasses and you could easily carry 4 of them.  No chance of doing it if it's say, a Peroni, a Stella, a pint of Doom Bar and a bottle of Magners.

Away ye go! Clubs always had rules as far back as I remember. Woe betide anyone that sat, uninvited, a at the committee tables.

53 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

That's as maybe, but it sounds as though morons behind bars are also to blame. It doesn't really matter if glasses are awkward etc., if someone is only buying one drink, there's still no need for a tray.

28 minutes ago, HTG said:

Trays are standard practice at Linlithgow Rose. And "woe betide" etc. On a different note,  "woe betide" - wtf is that all about?

Sorrow will occur. It might be Biblical, which is when you can date many social club rules to.

Pretty sure the function suite and lounge in the Grangemouth Rangers club had the tray rule also.
The auld wife's playing the bingo there used to get quite upset if anyone ( barstaff included ) dare talk when the bingo was going on.... youd get a chorus of ... shhhhhhhh.
Dockers club down the road used to have no women allowed in the bar.
Both now sadly closed.
Only social clubs left there are the railway club and the Legion.
Used to have around 6 or 7.

It's not one I've come across often - the only time I've been hassled for it was in Whitburn's club. I'd nipped in at halftime for a pint, and the barmaid said to take a tray...I told her I didn't need one as I was only getting the one beer, and she told me it wasn't optional...

I don't think those arcane wee rules are confined to the Juniors though; a few summers ago me and the missus had gone on a run to North Berwick and me being me, on the way back I'd "just remembered" Preston Athletic were playing a pre-season friendly against some Highland League mob. It was a blazing hot summer's day, so we stopped off for a drink beforehand in what I think is the British Legion across the road. She'd been doing the driving, so she had a baseball cap.on to keep the sun out of her eyes. I'd got the drinks up, and we hadn't even sat down before a wee guy in a blazer came storming up to tell us she had to take the cap off or we'd need to leave, as "ladies are not allowed to wear hats on the premises"...straight out of the 1950s, and utterly bizarre.

Archived