Social Clubs and Trays

Cosmic Joe

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bo'ness Chemical Workers club aka Fisons. A few years ago they built an extension and had a bit of a refurbishment. This meant there was an interconnecting hallway between the new part of the building and the old part. I went in after going to a Bo'ness Utd game and got my pint in the old side. I thought I'd have a look at the new side so opened the link corridor only to be stopped by a 'member' to put my drink on a tray if moving between rooms. This was literally his job. Sank pint and left.

5 hours ago, G_Man1985 said:

I'm glad we are so different. Cheap drinks and a game of pool at the local clubby is teckle.
Rather that than be Jimmy no mates and in house on my tod.

Growing old and miserable sounds shit.

So if you don’t go to a social club then the only alternative is to sit in the house?

What a strange thing to suggest.

The bar at East Fife was a wee bit odd last week. The staff seemed fine, but I heard the same punter twice reprimand visitors for queuing from the incorrect side: "We queue from the left here."

One time it was to a guy who he then decided was an invalid, and then went to excruciating lengths to treat him as normal and be hospitable. Quite an awkward scene.

He looked exactly like Oswald from Keeping Up Appearances, but with a replica top instead of a vest.

Fortunately I wasn't abused, as on my first and only visit to the bar I ghosted in from the right hand side into a wee gap and got served immediately.

But no trays required at least.

Those are a staple at Woodburn Club and woe betide etc. The club also boasts the signing in book (why?) and the "voluntary donation tin" for club funds. Whilst also observing the men adjourn to another room during the bingo dabbing.

The signing in book is required by law as part of their drinks licence, visitors are supposed to be introduced by a member. Any private members club whether it be a social club, golf club, bowling club etc has to have it. Donations are different though, I've been in some clubs that there was a compulsory charge for visitors.

The Civil Service Social Club in Perth is alright. Never experienced any cliquey rules despite not being a member. Decent (nothing outstanding or fancy) food, cheap drink and they put on some decent entertainment days/nights.......what's not to like?

1 minute ago, G_Man1985 said:
2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:
So if you don’t go to a social club then the only alternative is to sit in the house?
What a strange thing to suggest.

It's not really that hard to follow rules. If they need to use a tray there then what's the issue ?

Yeah but I’m responding to your post suggesting that folk can either go to social clubs or have to sit in the house.

That’s silly isn’t it?

24 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

Was more directed to yourself on this one since you had an issue with drinking in social clubs.
I did edit my last post by time you replied

I’m glad you realised the error of your ways and your concern for me is touching but really not necessary.

13 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I’m glad you realised the error of your ways and your concern for me is touching but really not necessary.

Probably best you stick to drinking your Faustino Rioja Gran Reserva at home, GD..........it'll be safer for everyone involved.

1 hour ago, peasy23 said:
13 hours ago, Le Tout P said:
The bar at East Fife was a wee bit odd last week. The staff seemed fine, but I heard the same punter twice reprimand visitors for queuing from the incorrect side: "We queue from the left here."

One time it was to a guy who he then decided was an invalid, and then went to excruciating lengths to treat him as normal and be hospitable. Quite an awkward scene.

He looked exactly like Oswald from Keeping Up Appearances, but with a replica top instead of a vest.

Fortunately I wasn't abused, as on my first and only visit to the bar I ghosted in from the right hand side into a wee gap and got served immediately.

But no trays required at least.

Those are a staple at Woodburn Club and woe betide etc. The club also boasts the signing in book (why?) and the "voluntary donation tin" for club funds. Whilst also observing the men adjourn to another room during the bingo dabbing.

The signing in book is required by law as part of their drinks licence, visitors are supposed to be introduced by a member. Any private members club whether it be a social club, golf club, bowling club etc has to have it. Donations are different though, I've been in some clubs that there was a compulsory charge for visitors.

When on the Lok committee, we ended up in many weird and wonderful places on our travels, depending on what the host team used or failing that, what could be found ourselves. A masonic lodge, various bowling clubs, divey pubs, sports centres, smart bars, football social clubs, works clubs - don't recall encountering the tray thing though. One of the least welcoming was the Lok one in fact - non-members would be kicked out at 7.30pm and the doorman relished ejecting those not complying. Quite embarrassing.

When on the Lok committee, we ended up in many weird and wonderful places on our travels, depending on what the host team used or failing that, what could be found ourselves. A masonic lodge, various bowling clubs, divey pubs, sports centres, smart bars, football social clubs, works clubs - don't recall encountering the tray thing though. One of the least welcoming was the Lok one in fact - non-members would be kicked out at 7.30pm and the doorman relished ejecting those not complying. Quite embarrassing.
Aye, can remember being asked to leave the Lok club at that time. The bowling club that I used to be Secretary of had some cracking rules, e.g. members only on the pool table on Friday and Sunday evenings. [emoji23]

Seen the tray one in a few bowling clubs, ours never had that rule though.

22 minutes ago, sjc said:

Probably best you stick to drinking your Faustino Rioja Gran Reserva at home, GD..........it'll be safer for everyone involved.

Thanks.  You’re probably right as I’m an antisocial c**t.

I don’t go for the Gran Reserve; I’ve had it and it’s nice but certainly not worth the extra cost.  I find that it’s easy to get a very palatable bottle of wine for £7 or £8, but then again I’m no connoisseur.

Archived