Social Clubs and Trays

Cosmic Joe

4 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

It's not one I've come across often - the only time I've been hassled for it was in Whitburn's club. I'd nipped in at halftime for a pint, and the barmaid said to take a tray...I told her I didn't need one as I was only getting the one beer, and she told me it wasn't optional...

I don't think those arcane wee rules are confined to the Juniors though; a few summers ago me and the missus had gone on a run to North Berwick and me being me, on the way back I'd "just remembered" Preston Athletic were playing a pre-season friendly against some Highland League mob. It was a blazing hot summer's day, so we stopped off for a drink beforehand in what I think is the British Legion across the road. She'd been doing the driving, so she had a baseball cap.on to keep the sun out of her eyes. I'd got the drinks up, and we hadn't even sat down before a wee guy in a blazer came storming up to tell us she had to take the cap off or we'd need to leave, as "ladies are not allowed to wear hats on the premises"...straight out of the 1950s, and utterly bizarre.

Don't get me started on British Legions. Does everyone still have to stand up and face the pic of auld Liz at the end of the night to GSTQ? Embarrassing...  

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mind I got a job in a British Legion in Glasgow and some auld duffer pulled me up because I walked through the bar to get back outside to my van because I wasn't suitably dressed.

The guy that was working in there didn't have very many nice things to say about the clientele.  One tale he told was of one guy who keeled over and paramedics had to attend and there was an uproar because them working on him was interrupting the bingo.

He subsequently died.

30 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I mind I got a job in a British Legion in Glasgow and some auld duffer pulled me up because I walked through the bar to get back outside to my van because I wasn't suitably dressed.

The guy that was working in there didn't have very many nice things to say about the clientele.  One tale he told was of one guy who keeled over and paramedics had to attend and there was an uproar because them working on him was interrupting the bingo.

He subsequently died.

Never been in one at night I imagine they're frequented almost exclusively by those Walter Mitty old guys you run into sometimes that make out they were trained killers in the special forces but actually did national service peeling totties in the catering corps.

And the majority of the good raffle prizes always seemed to end up on the committee table.

The old Kinnoull Juniors club in Perth used to have a puggie that only members were allowed to use, I ended up in the place for a function and won £20 out of it.
Was requested by the bar staff to return it as I wasn't a paying member.

The secret when only getting to one pint is to carry it as normal and hold the tray just underneath it...drives them mad.

Anyone ever stay in The Union Jack Club in London? A hotel of sorts for ex services staff, with some permanent residents like the major from Fawlty Towers. Loads of tales of daring do, heroism and battle reenactment. 

There was a miserable old guy in the local Legion a few years back, who went in to meet his pals at 7.00pm on the dot every Friday for a game of Snooker. He would arrive a few minutes earlier EVERY week and before ordering the first round, he would take a wee home made 'Reserved' sign out of his jacket pocket and carefully place it in the middle of the 'their' table, before the rest of his pals came to join him. I never saw anyone ever challenge the auld duffer!![emoji3]

Is this just a Dundee thing? On buying a drink (or drinks) you are required, by order of the committee, to place drink(s) on a tray before taking them back to your seat.

It's madness. Trying to balance a solitary pint, skiting around on a tray while negotiating your way round a packed bar. Far more likely for spillages or breakages to occur than simply carrying your pint to your seat...   

This is how the folks met - wideo committee guy hitting on glass-in-hand young babe by quoting the tray rule.

• 1 year later...

I discovered this thread when using a search engine to see if there was any debate over social clubs insisting that a tray be used for a single glass.

I was in the BMC social club at Gorgie, Edinburgh back in 2011 for a work colleague's birthday party. She was not a member of the club but had asked if she could book the function suite. The suite was unavailable, but she was offered a couple of tables at their club night. There was a sign stating "Trays Must Be Used". I did wonder whether this would still apply even for a single glass, so I ordered a single drink and paused for a couple of seconds to see if the bar staff would insist on the use of a tray. They did not, so I presumed the rule applied to large rounds only.

The club was offering bingo on the night in question, so I went to buy a bingo card. I took my drink with me to avoid it being stolen or spiked (highly unlikely I know, but not impossible). One of the people selling the bingo cards said to me "Excuse me pal. You can't wander around the dance floor with a drink in your hand" to which her colleague added the words "You've got to use a tray" I considered questioning this myself on four counts.

1. I wasn't "wandering around the dance floor" with anything in any part of my body. I was standing in a queue.
  2. It is safer to carry one or two glasses in your hands, and therefore insisting on the use of a tray by people with fewer than three drinks was applying the letter, not the spirit.
  3. The bar staff had set a precedent by allowing me to simply pick up my drink.
  4. My colleagues and I were attending under a private booking, not as members of the club or as guests of a member.  Therefore we had never signed the rulebook.

However, I felt that it would have more impact if my colleague whose birthday we were celebrating, and who had made the booking had made the above points on behalf of our entire group. Although she sympathised, she was unwilling to attempt to persuade the club that their rules should not apply in this instance, in case they threw us out.

Another of my colleagues was afraid to go to the toilet as another rule was "no cutting across the dance floor during the cabaret act"  and she would need to either do so or take a massive detour in order to go to the toilet.

Yet another colleague was spoken to rudely for beginning to consume his drink before returning to his seat, even though there were no notices forbidding this.

The vast majority of people I have spoken to (including people who have been members of social clubs, and people who have worked in licensed premises, both pubs and social clubs) agree with me that any requirement to use a tray should only apply to three or more glasses. A handful of people who disagree state that "that's the rules of the club, and you have to abide by them". When I ask them if they would say we have to abide the rules of the club if said club decided to apply a racist or sexist policy as to who is allowed entry or service at the bar they invariably say "no".

Incidentally, when I attended the BMC Club for a private function in 2013, they did not insist on the use of a tray, even for large rounds.

On ‎07‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 07:18, mizfit said:

The old Kinnoull Juniors club in Perth used to have a puggie that only members were allowed to use, I ended up in the place for a function and won £20 out of it.
Was requested by the bar staff to return it as I wasn't a paying member.

Did you?

On 06/12/2016 at 12:24, Gaz FFC said:

I would put it on the tray until I was a footstep from the bar and just grab the pint with my free hand. f**k yer rules

Hard as nails

The bar at East Fife was a wee bit odd last week. The staff seemed fine, but I heard the same punter twice reprimand visitors for queuing from the incorrect side: "We queue from the left here."

One time it was to a guy who he then decided was an invalid, and then went to excruciating lengths to treat him as normal and be hospitable. Quite an awkward scene.

He looked exactly like Oswald from Keeping Up Appearances, but with a replica top instead of a vest.

Fortunately I wasn't abused, as on my first and only visit to the bar I ghosted in from the right hand side into a wee gap and got served immediately.

But no trays required at least.

Those are a staple at Woodburn Club and woe betide etc. The club also boasts the signing in book (why?) and the "voluntary donation tin" for club funds. Whilst also observing the men adjourn to another room during the bingo dabbing.

Archived