Dundee v Ross County 10/12/16

10th v 7th with just one point between us as we head into this one.

We continue to be inconsistent but our home results have improved.

County 4 games undefeated will be a tough nut to crack.

Draw written all over this 1-1

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Boyce is in form again, which is always a good thing coming into games vs teams of a similar calibre.

County's team looks relatively balanced for the first time in a while, albeit it is a side with flaws still.  If Chris Burke was fit I'd be fairly confident, but I have no idea how long the virus is going to keep him out.  Without him County are a bit weak on the flank opposite Michael Gardyne.

I couldn't believe my eyes in the last fixture against Dundee, when Mark O'Hara ran the show in midfield, repeatedly bursting past Martin Woods and causing problems.  The last time I saw him start a match before then was at right-back just after Christmas '15, when it looked like he barely knew the position and Gardyne ripped him apart.  I take it O'Hara is still out for a while?  I'd be relieved if he was.

Paul Quinn and Woods are expected to be fit enough to play, according to last week's media which stated they were close to being ready for the Hearts game (and Woods came on as a sub).  Will they go straight back into the team or will they have to bide their time?

3 of County's five games before the new year are against the current bottom three.

The festive run-in is basically going to be like the fight from Anchorman but with dreadful SPFL Premiership sides replacing San Diego news networks.

Man with arm chopped off: Dundee

Man impaled by Trident: Partick Thistle

Man on fire: ICT

No way Wood should be right back into the starting lineup. Not as if we've looked weaker with him on the sidelines, we've even scored a couple from setpieces without him on the field to completely waste them.

39 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

I'd be tempted to start Loy and Wighton up too for this one. Haber has been decent but think it's time for Loy to get another chance

Loy has done well against County before.  He's got good enough movement to turn the defence, which is their big weakness.  Haber seems immense in the air, but so is Davies.

10 minutes ago, Spain said:

If Woods comes back in and we revert to the pish we saw before his "injury" then I'll be calling for Jim's head straight away.

Concussion followed by back spasm, then an injection for his back was reported by the press in successive weeks.  Is that not the case?  It's an unfortunate run of injuries if it is.

Woods was excellent against ICT and Killie at the start of the season, and carried that form into some of the subsequent fixtures, but we haven't seen enough of that on a consistent basis.

If Woods comes back in and we revert to the pish we saw before his "injury" then I'll be calling for Jim's head straight away.

And you will look just as ridiculous as all the other times you've called for his head
Tim does not deserve to be dropped on his last two performances but like most of us, I don't see the two of them during the week in training to comment.
Why the apostrophe's on "training"?

55 minutes ago, humbleheart said:

And you will look just as ridiculous as all the other times you've called for his head
Tim does not deserve to be dropped on his last two performances but like most of us, I don't see the two of them during the week in training to comment.

I wouldn't worry too much humbleheart unfortunately we as in Ross County have now collected some of those special supporters who seem full of rage or out rage that they feel the need to scream/type abuse about individual players/managers.  I don't think i'm old (which probably means i am), still in my 30's (just) but I can't remember a period where Ross County did so well yet so many of our own supporters are so full of anger, or maybe it's just hyperboil, i struggle to understand it tbh!

As said on other threads, there were supporters calling for Jim and Billy to be sacked at halftime in our opening league game of this season, utter madness imo!

As to the match in Dundee, if Burke is still out I'd like to stay with the same starting XI.  I couldn't make it to the Hearts match so I don't really know how Tony performed on the right flank, could anyone who was there give their opinions??

But if Tony was okay and Burke is still out I'd stick with the same lineup.

3 minutes ago, frankthetank22 said:

I couldn't make it to the Hearts match so I don't really know how Tony performed on the right flank, could anyone who was there give their opinions?

Lacked quality, just about made up for it with determination.  He needs an extended run to get the quality back.  If he's going to play on the flank then I'd rather see him on the left and cut in to influence, which Jim lets Dow do, because neither Dow nor Dingwall have the pace to beat players on the outside.  Dingwall still had more impact in the game than Dow has at the club to this point, so I'd be happy enough with Dingwall playing if Burke is unavailable.

1 hour ago, humbleheart said:

:lol: 

4 minutes ago, frankthetank22 said:

I wouldn't worry too much humbleheart unfortunately we as in Ross County have now collected some of those special supporters who seem full of rage or out rage that they feel the need to scream/type abuse about individual players/managers.  I don't think i'm old (which probably means i am), still in my 30's (just) but I can't remember a period where Ross County did so well yet so many of our own supporters are so full of anger, or maybe it's just hyperboil, i struggle to understand it tbh!

As said on other threads, there were supporters calling for Jim and Billy to be sacked at halftime in our opening league game of this season, utter madness imo!

As to the match in Dundee, if Burke is still out I'd like to stay with the same starting XI.  I couldn't make it to the Hearts match so I don't really know how Tony performed on the right flank, could anyone who was there give their opinions??

But if Tony was okay and Burke is still out I'd stick with the same lineup.

You seem to think I'm a "full of rage" supporter? You've never met me, and it's fairly clear you've no idea what you're talking about. For the substantial amount of money Jim has squandered, we should be doing considerably better. Cup win aside, he hasn't done his job well enough for around 12 months now - it's as simple as that. No rage, no personal issues with him, quite simply and logically his performance isn't up to scratch and if he returns to making the same mistakes he's been continuously making for the past 12 months then it's becoming fairly clear that he's not going to change it. I'm pretty confident we'd have been well cut-adrift at the bottom by now if it hadn't been for the "injuries".

10 minutes ago, bunglebonce said:

Lacked quality, just about made up for it with determination.  He needs an extended run to get the quality back.  If he's going to play on the flank then I'd rather see him on the left and cut in to influence, which Jim lets Dow do, because neither Dow nor Dingwall have the pace to beat players on the outside.  Dingwall still had more impact in the game than Dow has at the club to this point, so I'd be happy enough with Dingwall playing if Burke is unavailable.

As per the majority of the time, I agree entirely.

If Burke's fit:

Fox

Cikos Fraser Davies KVdW

Burke Routis Chow Gardyne

Boyce

Curran

If not:

Fox

Cikos Fraser Davies KVdW

Gardyne Routis Chow Dingwall

Boyce

Curran

On paper, the backline of Cikos | Fraser | Davies | KVdW looks good.  It'll never be the first choice back line, for the simple reason that it leaves McEveley and Quinn out of the team.  I also have slight reservations about Fraser in the middle.  We've only seen him there for 20 mins against Rangers this season, and to the best of my knowledge 90 minutes against Hamilton at the end of the 14/15 season, next to Scott Boyd.  I thought Fraser was exceptional in open play against Accies that day, but County were a mess when having to defend set-pieces.  Davies can't mark everyone. 

That's true and it's the main reason I don't expect to see it all that often, but with Quinn having been out the last few weeks and I believe McEveley suspended this is the opportune time to give it the chance it deserves. I'll be disappointed if Jim opts for Quinn instead if he's anything but fully fit. Fraser needs to be mentored by someone like Davies but he has great potential at CB IMO.

McEveley got his seventh yellow against Hearts.  One of the seven doesn't count because it resulted in a red, so the Hearts yellow was effectively the sixth.  The suspension for that will kick in 14 days after, so he'll miss the Aberdeen game.  By which time I guess Quinn should be ready.

I agree on Fraser's potential, I just worry about the lack of height in the team.

Archived