Kris Boyd & Jamie Fullarton

1 minute ago, RussellAnderson said:

Robbie Muirhead seems a bit of a nutcase based on his tweets. 

But you can be mental and still have a professional attitude to your football. But when he's posting stuff about 9/11 being an inside job you've got to wonder...

Ok so apart from Watt and Muirhead...

f**k it. I give up. I'll get my coat. 

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, RussellAnderson said:

But you can be mental and still have a professional attitude to your football. But when he's posting stuff about 9/11 being an inside job you've got to wonder...

23 hours ago, TheScarf said:

I was speaking to him in Asda in Inverness on Friday and we got talking about 9/11. He had the audacity to tell me that jet fuel doesn't melt steel beams.

1 hour ago, RussellAnderson said:

Callum Paterson is absolutely mental as well.

1 minute ago, THE KING said:

The laptop loyal seemed to have a very different view of Cathro when he was linked Singh Rangers.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/13412451.Scottish_coach_Ian_Cathro_linked_with_Rangers_vacancy_after_quitting_Valencia/

Absolutely. According to the Record he apparently "revolutionised Dundee United's youth set up" and was "one of the hottest properties in European coaching."  http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rangers-deny-making-move-valencia-4937262

Quite the volte-face to have their chief football writer now describing Cathro as a "hipster experiment". I wonder what changed.

3 hours ago, Marsh said:

Using amateur football as a gauge might not be 100% accurate, but the attitudes towards health, diet and physique of the 19 - 26 year olds I played with when I started playing at that level 14 years ago compared to the 19 - 26 year olds I coach now is night and day.  Also, the attitude towards embracing new tactics and formations has changed for the better as well, so if that's anything to go by, Boyd's idea that the modern changing room won't take to guys like Cathro's new ideas is stuck in the past.

I really hope so, the old ways just won't do anymore. I saw a comment from Ryan Fraser after the Liverpool game where he said that the biggest change since he'd gone to Bournemouth was diet – he'd gone from living off Domino's Pizza to consuming mostly lean protein and vegetables. That didn't fill me with hope about where we are north of the border but his managers at Aberdeen were both old guys.

I also hope that young people more generally are shifting in their attitudes towards health as you say they are, the stats on these things in Scotland have been grim for way too long. 

This reminds me of what Roy Keane said about John Hartson:

“My first game [for Celtic] was Clyde, away, in the third round of the Scottish Cup. We were beaten 2-1. It was a nightmare. I wasn’t happy with my own game. I did OK, but OK wasn’t good enough. After the game – the disappointment. As I was taking my jersey off, I noticed the Nike tag was still on it. When I got on the bus John Hartson, a really good guy, was already sitting there and he was eating a packet of crisps – with a fizzy drink. I said to myself: ‘Welcome to Hell.’”

That was right in front of Gordon Strachan. 

As we've all said, Cathro might well prove hopeless, or he might be really good.

Either way though, a light here has been shone on attitudes still clearly hugely prevalent in our game.

I don't generally mind Boyd too much but I think his already shabby views have been magnified by the red top vehicle he pretends to write for.  Fullarton has generally impressed me on the radio, but on this he's come over as petty and really quite unpleasant.

More than any of this though, I'm struck by how your average dressing room is being portrayed.  Is it really an environment in which management have to be prepared to dominate, to be ready for confrontation, to assert their authority - an environment in which it's unthinkable for somebody to be in charge of someone older than them? 

Some of the rubbish Boyd came out with about how Cathro must establish his authority, was reminiscent of the daft advice given to rookie teachers.  Even that's rubbish, but at least it concerns working with children, many of whom would rather not be there.  Is it too much to expect that adult professional footballers might have a more mature, professional approach?

I don't know this, but I'd be surprised if similar attitudes prevailed in football in other countries that might have a more ostensibly macho culture.

It sounds a bit like our football needs to grow up.

6 minutes ago, blastie_12 said:

Is it a surprise to anyone "we" aren't as "professional" as the majority of successful European countries in the last 20 years, they moved on....

Scotland is still giving air time to kris Boyd and management time to dinosaurs

What full-time Scottish club has a 'dinosaur' in charge of them at the moment? Out of 20 of them, Motherwell probably, Duffy maybe fits that stereotype but he's done a superb job at Morton so can hardly criticise him for that.It's a complete myth that Scottish management jobs go to, as you put it, dinosaurs. In fact it has never been harder for managers like that to get a job up here, the trend is to go for under qualified, under experienced recently retired players who have - albeit superficially - 'philosophies'. 

What full-time Scottish club has a 'dinosaur' in charge of them at the moment? Out of 20 of them, Motherwell probably, Duffy maybe fits that stereotype but he's done a superb job at Morton so can hardly criticise him for that.It's a complete myth that Scottish management jobs go to, as you put it, dinosaurs. In fact it has never been harder for managers like that to get a job up here, the trend is to go for under qualified, under experienced recently retired players who have - albeit superficially - 'philosophies'. 

I think you're right actually, for evidence of this look up mr James calderwood.

The quintessential dinosaur of Scottish football.

9 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

The national side has a dinosaur in charge. 

14 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

As we've all said, Cathro might well prove hopeless, or he might be really good.

Either way though, a light here has been shone on attitudes still clearly hugely prevalent in our game.

I don't generally mind Boyd too much but I think his already shabby views have been magnified by the red top vehicle he pretends to write for.  Fullarton has generally impressed me on the radio, but on this he's come over as petty and really quite unpleasant.

More than any of this though, I'm struck by how your average dressing room is being portrayed.  Is it really an environment in which management have to be prepared to dominate, to be ready for confrontation, to assert their authority - an environment in which it's unthinkable for somebody to be in charge of someone older than them? 

Some of the rubbish Boyd came out with about how Cathro must establish his authority, was reminiscent of the daft advice given to rookie teachers.  Even that's rubbish, but at least it concerns working with children, many of whom would rather not be there.  Is it too much to expect that adult professional footballers might have a more mature, professional approach?

I don't know this, but I'd be surprised if similar attitudes prevailed in football in other countries that might have a more ostensibly macho culture.

It sounds a bit like our football needs to grow up.

The thing is, and I've worked in education in various roles, that just like in football there are loads of dinosaurs and useless b*****ds who still think that way.

9 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

We appointed Jim Jefferies only a few years ago. Not too long before that we appointed Davie Hay.

Of course we also tried Stephen Kenny (rumours still persist that don't portray the dressing room at the time in a good light and indeed give a lot of credence to points made in this thread, especially around professionalism) and gave Jim McIntyre his first gig. We even tried John Potter for a bit.

I think it's more the media touting their old pals for all jobs that arise more than clubs actually appointing them.

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

I think you're right actually, for evidence of this look up mr James calderwood.

The quintessential dinosaur of Scottish football.

Exactly, a guy who has been on the bookies shortlist for every Scottish job in the last 5 years, but can't get a job. People would rather take a total stab in the dark on people like Richie Foran, Jack Ross, Mark Wilson, Martin Canning etc etc who appear to have fresh ideas and be a bit more modern, because I think clubs realise that they need to move with the times. Obviously the mistake these clubs make is that the majority of these guys, whilst they may be younger and talk a good game, still came through the 'old' system with old school managers so probably still have the same ideas deep down as the likes of Calderwood and Jim Jefferies had. Kris Boyd's comments probably just highlight this.

Basically, I don't think the clubs themselves have out-dated 'dinosaur' attitudes, they recognise the need to modernise and move away from methods of the past, the problem is the managerial and coaching market that most of them shop in is just full of guys brought up through that system, so whilst the clubs mean well you probably aren't going to get that change. Which is perhaps where Hearts are different, going for a guy who hasn't been exposed to that dressing room environment for 20 years.

6 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

An interesting point. It's the media who link these guys and their prodigies for every job. It's been years since Calderwood had a job and was outed by Ryan O'Leary as a bully, yet he's still linked with every job in the rags. See Ferguson and Locke for current day examples. 

Fortunately Chairmen now seem to be a bit more savvy with their appointments and see past attitudes like Boyd's.

4 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

We appointed Jim Jefferies only a few years ago. Not too long before that we appointed Davie Hay.

Of course we also tried Stephen Kenny (rumours still persist that don't portray the dressing room at the time in a good light and indeed give a lot of credence to points made in this thread, especially around professionalism) and gave Jim McIntyre his first gig. We even tried John Potter for a bit.

I think it's more the media touting their old pals for all jobs that arise more than clubs actually appointing them.

Stephen Kenny might not be the best example right now but I take your point. I've always gotten that vibe off McIntyre but I've got no evidence for it. 

Archived