Kris Boyd & Jamie Fullarton

49 minutes ago, RiG said:

Is that a little dig at the likes of The Terrace, Nutmeg type establishments that have come forward in recent years?

This is one of the more considered thoughts on the matter, by Joel of the Terrace:

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/hearts/why-the-luddites-are-wrong-about-ian-cathro-1-4309217

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, RiG said:

Is that a little dig at the likes of The Terrace, Nutmeg type establishments that have come forward in recent years? The reason that they are proving quite popular is that they aren't going down the well trodden road of rimming the OF like The Sun and Record do (for obvious reason I guess). Sure some of the articles might be a bit dry but they are a welcome change from the norm.

That's the thing. Fans want to read in depth stuff about tactics etc. Football fans these days are much more sophisticated than they have ever been, and by and large the rehashed opinions of idiotic ex-pros and journalists who still think it's 1977 will not do.

This piece is written for an audience of Newcastle Fans

http://www.themag.co.uk/2016/12/journeyman-kris-boyd-go-la-ligapremier-leagues-ian-cathro-laughable-newcastle-united-hearts/

"Now many of you are probably wondering, just who is Kris Boyd?

Well, he is a journeyman striker who has scored goals in Scotland."

12 minutes ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

That's the thing. Fans want to read in depth stuff about tactics etc. Football fans these days are much more sophisticated than they have ever been, and by and large the rehashed opinions of idiotic ex-pros and journalists who still think it's 1977 will not do.

Scottish football media output has barely changed in the 20 years since I first fell in love with the game as an 11 year old boy.  I was bored of the waffle on the radio and in the tabloids by the time I was 13. 

3 minutes ago, bunglebonce said:

Scottish football media output has barely changed in the 20 years since I first fell in love with the game as an 11 year old boy.  I was bored of the waffle on the radio and in the tabloids by the time I was 13. 

The documentary that was on a few months ago pointed to Off the Ball, Cosgrove and Cowan etc as examples of the media moving closer to the fans - they've had their show for two decades and are as much of an establishment as anyone else.

Obviously you aren't going to have in depth tactical articles in the press for every game, that's not what they are there to do, but the diversity in Scottish football media is a good thing, surely?

7 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

The documentary that was on a few months ago pointed to Off the Ball, Cosgrove and Cowan etc as examples of the media moving closer to the fans - they've had their show for two decades and are as much of an establishment as anyone else.

Obviously you aren't going to have in depth tactical articles in the press for every game, that's not what they are there to do, but the diversity in Scottish football media is a good thing, surely?

I sometimes forget about Off the Ball.  I enjoy it when I get the chance to listen to it (which is usually when driving to an away game when I would typically take the supporters' bus).

Of course diversity is a good thing.  Until podcasts and blogs came along in the mould of The Terrace, there wasn't enough diversity in Scottish football media IMO.  I think there still barely is.

24 minutes ago, DanMc99 said:

wouldn't imagine the italian media saying that baout arrigo sachi or the prtuguese saying it about villas boas . none of them played more than amatuer

Sacchi faced a great deal of criticism when he got the AC Milan job, - indeed it's the origin of one of football's best one-liners.

I remember 18 months ago that Ian Cathro was linked with the Rangers manager's post.  Funnily enough, I don't remember any negativity regarding his age or so called lack of experience from the Scottish chip wrappers. :rolleyes:

11 hours ago, eez-eh said:

I hadn't even heard of him until now, but Jamie Fullarton comes across awfully there - worse so than Boyd. He talks over Tom English constantly, speaking with a completely misplaced sense of superiority, and appears to blatantly lie at times, namely arrogantly asserting that he knows exactly what Cathro does at Newcastle, pretending he has sources.

He keeps mentioning his past jobs, his "experience" of being a manager (where he got binned after two months), and his time abroad running a football academy as if it somehow qualifies him to know exactly what Cathro's roles as coach at Valencia and Rio Ave entailed.

How the f**k did he get a job as a pundit? My license fee goes towards people like that being given air time.

If it's any consolation he appears to have very much shat in his own nest, which I'd imagine was the opposite intention of his pals getting him that radio gig.

3 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Let's give Grieve some credit and say he wrote that purely to get everyone spewing with rage at his idiocy. If he was being sincere then he is honestly one of the stupidest people on Earth.

Yeah, but he's a Scottish football journalist. There's a higher level of stupidity in those circles.

I remember 18 months ago that Ian Cathro was linked with the Rangers manager's post.  Funnily enough, I don't remember any negativity regarding his age or so called lack of experience from the Scottish chip wrappers. :rolleyes:

That would be when he was 28 and was working in Spain

He's obviously way over the hill by now

56 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

This piece is written for an audience of Newcastle Fans

http://www.themag.co.uk/2016/12/journeyman-kris-boyd-go-la-ligapremier-leagues-ian-cathro-laughable-newcastle-united-hearts/

"Now many of you are probably wondering, just who is Kris Boyd?

Well, he is a journeyman striker who has scored goals in Scotland."

I cringed a bit at the stinging accuracy of this.

I'm listening to the Sportsound interview now, absolute minter for Fullarton.  He met him nearly a decade ago and didn't like him and now his "sources" say that he doesn't do any coaching - something immediately kicked back by English.  

Also, the whole "the dressing room is an unforgiving environment" stuff is a self-fulfilling prophecy, spun out by old pros as an excuse why only certain types of people can manage football teams.  It feeds a load of other myths, the carping about fitness you get at some clubs (Boyd being a big example of this), the closed-mindedness about new methods, techniques, "that'll never fly in a dressing room of hardened pros" - why not?  Fullarton says that he'll have difficulty telling Don Cowie what to do because Cowie is 33 - in what other environment would that be considered acceptable?

You also look at the assistant, Macphee, someone who has played and coached in the US, Europe, Japan, Mexico, coached international players at a tournament and, I just found out from a quick Google, is an entrepreneur who has set up his own business and runs it as well as soccer schools for kids.  Is that enough 'life experience' for Fullarton, the nasally wee nyaff.

ETA  - The dressing room stuff infantilises players as well, the idea that you need someone who can "command the room" generally means they shout and bawl and boss people about.  That's not the most effective way of working and isn't how other sports coach.  I've often thought that footballers seem to be treated like children, Boyd and Ferguson having to be banned from eating junk food is a good example, the whole thing of 'drink bans' and curfews as well.  If you don't have the savvy not to drink while preparing for a game then you are an idiot not an athlete.

Is Boyd trying to argue that it's a bad thing for a coach to be obsessed with coaching? I've said it before on here but Jens Lehman cited the fact stereotypical British players (eg Boyd) are simply not bright enough to succeed at the top level. They're out of formal education so early they're simply not equipped to succeed. 

Having bold ideas and methods may not appeal to Boyd but that probably explains why someone with his talent for sticking a ball in a net didn't do much with his career as he never learned how to listen, to interpret ideas, to adapt to other cultures. 

Hope it works out for him at Hearts. In terms of the general setup of the place with the management structure and decent training facilities he seems a pretty good fit.  

I've seen or heard nothing of this Jamie Fullarton.  Not heard any of his Sportsound stuff.  But even his name sounds like the name a loser would have.

Archived