Juniors in the big Scottish do we deserve to be there?

Dipple burn

Do Juniors deserve to be in it can be debated for years,as someone who follows a junior team who got the chance to be in it through winning their league a few years back I can't think back at anyone saying Naw we do or don't deserve it,personally I thought what a great chance to play agst the senior teams and maybe get a few good results and crowds along the way and it's had its ups and downs in years gone by and until the powers that be put a stop to it or something different calls a halt to it as a junior club follower long may it continue.

• Replies 947
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Isabel Goudie said:

I conceded some clubs don't have an chronic problem in my post. Churning out Premiership statistic on attendances does not answer the problem given that the Old Firm have huge supports and some others do alright. But some really don't. There seems to be a genuine problem with going to Celtic but come on? Motherwell took 83 to Aberdeen. Some locals don't seem interested in their town team. That surely is relevant part of the greater discussion I would have thought. My opinion that crowds are falling in the Juniors is anicadotal, but I think true none the less. Sometimes more of a gauge than stats, anyway, most Junior teams don't give out official attendances. Please, don't ask why, this has been debated to death also. 

The stats show the attendances and whether they are rising or falling, certainly more reliable than just guessing, an opinion or just being selective to prove a point. Its like dismissing scientific evidence and giving more credence to guess work with nothing to back it up.

Part of the problem with lower league crowds has more to do with TV and that potential new young supporters are not interested in their local club and will either go for either Rangers or Celtic as their main football interest or maybe pick one of the top English clubs. Although we still have one of the largest football supporting population in Europe there is nothing like what we used to have 50 years ago, there are other activities now to rival football. Its not about the SFA or the leagues they can only do so much, its up to the clubs to connect with the local communities and get involved and this goes right down from Celtic and Motherwell to Lugar Boswell or Fochabers. If clubs show community involvement then they will gain support from the locals and this is rewarding and the reward is improved attendances.

6 hours ago, Burnie_man said:

Having taken you off ignore to monitor what made-up garbage you are spouting, care to substantiate any of that?

P&B regulars, here we present Burnie_man telling anyone who will listen why there's too many Senior clubs, gets taken to task by DA Baracus, 1320Lichtie, Dunning1874, RedstarStranraer, CityDave, etc; started spouting the routine "diddy teams getting SFA handouts/subsidies" pish & how things are done in other leagues; was stupid enough to disagree with HibeeJibee over cold, hard facts regarding these; before going off in a huff as you'd done so many times in the Lowlands threads.

And this was you largely saying verbatim what you'd been spouting on the Lowland forums for longer than anyone cares to remember, on & on & on - discovering the hard way the genteel folk of the Lowlands are a lot nicer than elsewhere on P&B...

6 hours ago, CityDave said:

Are we talking about stereotypes here? Not the best foundation for debate if you generalise everyone and make stereotypes of the people who run the clubs.

Talbot have to earn their place in the Scottish Cup same as every other club from the Juniors, if they are the dominant team in their region then that is the way it is and they will qualify without any assistance from anywhere else. But as for the leagues, reading some of the comments on here from Talbot fans the phrase 'have their cake and eat it' did spring to mind on more than one occasion. They are a confident bunch.:lol: The leagues are a completely different subject, but what the Juniors can achieve in the Senior Cup can raise some key questions and points about Scottish football and the league set up as a whole.

The "stereotype" wouldn't exist if it wasn't true - here we are in the 21st century & weekly match lists are still the norm for what is supposed to be (albeit loosely...) a semi-pro league.

The problems date back to the very origins of Scottish football when the SFA foolishly allowed all manner of Tom Dick and Harry to have their own set up allowing something akin to a franchise system. Memories fade, facts forgotten, people forget that then the first Scottish League was created, the so-called Second Division was really the renamed rival Scottish Alliance league (the remenants of which poached from the other rival Scottish Federation league). Hence we still have not only the fiasco of regional Seniors & Juniors, but also Amateurs & rival Welfare leagues (the main difference between the latter being former professional players have to jump through less hoops for registration).

I'm convinced it's all something to do with the Presbyterianism character of Scotland which lends itself to a schismatic way of things - suppose we ought to be grateful there's not the New Licht Junior FA & the Auld Licht Junior FA over "the devil's incandescence"!

3 hours ago, garrellburn said:

Poor old Pete Smythe must be having a quite chuckle to himself, wherever he is now. He was a lone voice campaigning for a pyramid setup for many years and met with nothing but derision. Now a whole raft of people in the junior game are all for it, it seems.

A new setup will come, and quite soon, I believe, as always money will drive change and the many junior clubs that are currently only just existing will have to find a place in a truly amatuer setup. 

Pete got taken to task because of his Peter Dow tendencies for claiming credit for what he hadn't actually campaigned for (an awful lot of times) & more than a few conspiracy theories.

Is that the best you have Waffle, after 5 hours, people having a debate and disagreeing? One link? Where are all these LL threads, struggling? See that fantasy land you live in where you're always right, it doesn't exist pmsl!

Anyway, enough time wasted on your utterly introverted garbage. Back on ignore as I won't let your pish drag this thread further off course.

Merry Christmas everyone.

5 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

Is that the best you have Waffle, after 5 hours, people having a debate and disagreeing? One link?

It's called work & a family life that takes priority (you know... that thing called Christmas happening in a few hours time to prepare?), something you'll not know any time in the near or distant future. :whistle

Enjoy your Christmas Day on P&B - same as every other year.

Yes please, and I would like to see them lobby and put pressure on the SFA to allow more Junior clubs into the Scottish Cup rather than just the title winners and cup winner. I would like to see as many Superleague teams as possible from all three regions automatic entry.

The gate is wide open for clubs to walk through if they wanted to. No way will they let all Superleagues club in without them being licenced.

It's going to be a case of you know now what you need to do so go ahead and do it.

Archived