Juniors in the big Scottish do we deserve to be there?

Dipple burn

After the embarrassment of Morton beating Scotland's secend best Junior 

After Beith setting us back 20 years when they were humiliated by a no entity, Has the big cup hold any real interest

• Replies 947
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heavy scoreline but most sensible analysts would not have been far away thinking a good going full time pro side would / should win comfortably. Personally I think teams should just be in one national competition for their own level but I can accept that it's a nice wee challenge for the big winners.
Tablet would obviously have fared much better if they had been playing. Why were they not??

I'd advise any sensible poster on this sub-forum avoid the Morton v Beith thread - they love the term junior thickos but you just cannae debate wi them! This sub-forums rather sensible by comparison (yes, there'll be a lot of wind-up merchants, but VikingTon is pretty genuine methinks).

Clearly Morton were far too good for Beith but, lets not forget, Beith made it past four sides to reach the game v Morton, netting sixteen times. Bonnyrigg - still in the cup - have scored twenty-nine times. At the very least, our sides are competitive with the best non-league ones.

Still trying to pulp my mind after reading that Beith thread - something in me thinks these posters wouldn't be so unkind if they were visiting a non-league side in Glasgow, Edinburgh, up North etc... social snobbery?

3 minutes ago, pheasant plucker said:

Heavy scoreline but most sensible analysts would not have been far away thinking a good going full time pro side would / should win comfortably. Personally I think teams should just be in one national competition for their own level but I can accept that it's a nice wee challenge for the big winners.
Tablet would obviously have fared much better if they had been playing. Why were they not??

Tablet as you call us have been trying to sort out a new formation but with our new set up we have found our formation a bit too late.

We were 3 1 down and down to 10 men against Forfar last season and then beat them in the replay at their bit despite only having 12 fit players and having to go to extra time. We were drawing 1 1 at ht with Ross County at Dingwall (who would take goals off Morton) and pulled them back to 3 2 before losing a late 4th. Given that we enjoyed anything but a vintage year, it was a great effort - as Talbot's was at Tynecastle. And we also outclassed a full time Raith Rovers for most of the game when we played them. 

Obviously the most likely outcome when a full time team plays a part time team the outcome will generally reflect the gap in fitness and ability. Even at part time level I think the wage bill at Forfar will be at least twice ours. 

Should we be in the ScottishCup - absolutely. Unless you want it to be a repeat of the League Cup. We've played Highland or Lowland League opposition on at least 10 occasions and lost once. When a team reaches the third round they are there on merit. 

Annan getting scrubbed 4 0 by Formartine is a far bigger beamer than Beith finding a team in the top half of the Championship a bit hot to handle. 

And I wouldn't fret too much about the thread in the cup forum. It's all done for effect. And the effect is achieved when folk try to have a sensible exchange. Better to just join in with the mood of the moment. At the end of the day Morton are an absolute non-entity whose supporters can expect to see their team lift a major trophy approximately the same number of times as Beith over the course of their lives.  Scrambling their way to the odd 6 goal win won't change that. They're shite. :)

40 minutes ago, Quantum Leap said:

Well Talbots never been gubbed by a senior team in it.
Beaten 2-1 away to Stirling Albion.
Beaten 3-2 by Stranraer after a replay.
Beaten 1-0 by Hearts at Tynecastle.
Beith faired better against Airdrie a few seasons ago and it took a couple of replays before Airdrie won.
Lithgae and Medda have also faired well.

Beaten. Beaten. Beaten... Seeing a pattern develop here.

When all you have are tear-stained hard-luck stories, the answer to the OP's question is fairly clear: stick to your pub leagues, and stop wasting everyone else's time.

2 minutes ago, AMMjag said:

When all you have are tear-stained hard-luck stories, the answer to the OP's question is fairly clear: stick to your pub leagues, and stop wasting everyone else's time.

Play nice old bean. 

Bonnyrigg very nearly emptied Brechin before Losing 6-0 at home. The best junior sides are easily on a level with the best part time senior clubs .

No they're not. Not even close. Of course in a one off game anything can happen and junior teams can compete but I would bet my house that any junior team would finish bottom of SPFL League 2.

Junior football deserves respect and I love it but the difference between it and senior football is larger than most junior fans admit or wish to see.

Morton were excellent yesterday and done what a team who are 3rd in  the championship should have done and yes there was a large gulf in quality as expected , the first 15 minutes we were the better team but after they scored two early goals it was only going one way , to compete with teams of that standard you need everything to go your way and them to have an off day and yourselves to have the best day of your lives . 

They were a very good young team who've beat two SPL teams this season and you could see why , no complaints and it's been a good journey and our bread and butter was beating the talbots to get there and making money afterwards was the real agenda as it is for every junior team in the senior Scottish cup as sooner or later we all know we will reach a bridge too far, yesterday that was the case for us but time to get back to the bread and butter now. 

It can happen at any level losing heavily to another team. Look at us yesterday putting 8 past a very decent Cumbernauld team from our own tight league!

On there day, when a team gets the rub of the green, players are at their peak and everything just clicks it happens.

Beith are a very good Junior side, as are many others in in East / West super leagues, and from what I've seen from plenty out with the Premier and Top Championship teams, there is very little of a difference (if any).

Chin up lads, move on from it. Bad day at the office!!!

"the ball is round" as they say lol :thumsup2

Rubbish. The way that Bonnyrigg played against Dumbarton and the crowd they got at that match, more that most first and second division teams can hope for, then why not let super league and junior cup winners have the chance at playing their 'senior' counterparts in this yearly competition.

19 minutes ago, Den Spark said:

Putting aside all the arguments about some clubs holding their own against higher up clubs, JUNIOR teams shouldn't be in the SENIOR cup.

Dundee.

Scottish Cup wins - 1

Season - 1909/10.

Your lot haven't brought much to the table either it seems. 

23 minutes ago, Den Spark said:

Putting aside all the arguments about some clubs holding their own against higher up clubs, JUNIOR teams shouldn't be in the SENIOR cup.

Away you go dinosaur!! No wonder the game in Scotland has suffered of late. What a pitiful attitude 

11 hours ago, Dipple burn said:

After the embarrassment of Morton beating Scotland's secend best Junior 

After Beith setting us back 20 years when they were humiliated by a no entity, Has the big cup hold any real interest

What a stupid thread & stupid post.

10 hours ago, AMMjag said:

Linlithgow Rose last year??? 

The way the SFA beaks have made the qualifying set up to get into the cup makes it harder for the juniors clubs to set a good example nowadays.

It's as if they have deliberately done it in order to reduce embarrassment for the senior teams so their fans don't scream blue murder if they are beaten or draw with a "wee diddy"team

16 minutes ago, Quantum Leap said:

Can you elaborate?
The English have got it spot on with regards to the FA cup and there are too many dinosaurs involved in Scottish football.

There are no juniors in England

Archived