"Select" teams

AsimButtHitsASix

Pretty sure this is one of these threads that pops up every season on the HL/LL forums (so apologies) but I couldnae find one with a quick search...

But I've heard of a Highland League select team play before (against Scotland U-21s)... was wondering if there would be any interest from fans for a select side for Highland League v Lowland League once a year?

Or would it just be pish and no one would care?

and... more importantly... who would win?

There were annual HL v EOSL games as trials for the Scotland Semi-Pro; although they got a bit of a bad rep latterly as EOSL frequently won or drew but hardly got any players in the team. EOSL used to prepare with matches against Scottish Unis and Scottish Amateurs. Also hosted England C in May 2010 losing 1-0.

I think there probably would be interest, partly because you'd expect a close contest, but it would face the old problems... when to fit the game(s) in and how to get clubs and players to take it seriously. Only now the stakes in these leagues are higher, and the calendars more pressurised, than before.

EOSL has tried to revive its Select XI a couple of times in the last decade or so - Lothians v Borders trials, matches v Lothian Amateurs, Scottish Unis and Scottish Amateurs, etc. - and it's failed each time.

In MLB they used to make it so the winner of the All Star game's league got the bonus of having the first game of the World Series at home. It might only be a small advantage but how about winner of HL v LL select lets the play off teams decide who gets the first match at home?

There is a wee bit of rivalry between the leagues now and after the playoff games would be a good time to try it 

Perhaps the managers of the 2 winning teams could pick the sides 

10 minutes ago, holme said:

There is a wee bit of rivalry between the leagues now and after the playoff games would be a good time to try it 

It would certainly be interesting but I don't see any enthusiasm for it from any clubs. Probably difficult to fit such a game into the calendar. The play offs are as close as we are likely to get.

On ‎06‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 10:12, holme said:

Problem is you've got the Lowland League Cup and North of Scotland Cup played parallel with the playoffs (R1 losers finish late April - Aberdeenshire clubs finish mid-April)... South Challenge Cup Final the week after... then it's June.

LL takes a Christmas break but HL doesn't.

You could only play it on a weekend by playing on Sunday (players featuring for their clubs the 24hrs before then potentially travelling that evening), or putting in a blank weekend.

Given pressures in HL with fitting in 34 games + HL Cup during season, it's highly unlikely they'd want a blank weekend.

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

LL takes a Christmas break but HL doesn't

Not intentionally, but HL fixtures can be pretty restricted during the winter months depending on weather. Agree with you that there's not much scope to add a select game into the fixture list.

Not impossible I suppose. However, the leagues don't always start the same weekend, some clubs are involved in the SPFL League Cup and Challenge Cup, and so on. Clubs might object to building up during pre-season then having a gap for a representative game, and the alternative - play it before preseason starts - would see the players unfit and out of form.

I suppose it's a bit like the old League Internationals themselves - the pressure of domestic and international club football, and the higher perceived stakes, squeezes out the others...

Archived