speck wearers

2 minutes ago, smpar said:

The only b*****d about wearing prescription sunglasses was forgetting to take your normal specs out in the late afternoon/early evening, when it goes from blinding sunlight to complete darkness in 30 minutes. You're then left wondering what's better; blinded by shite eyesight or blinded by wearing sunglasses in the dark.

Happened to me in the summer when I first got my sunglasses. Ended up inside a pub trying to watch a football game in complete blackness, or without being able to see the TV with glasses off, as we'd been in the beer garden during the day when it was appropriate to have the sunnies on. Still cool as f**k though.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, pub car king said:

So I've been to the optician and I need glasses for when I work on computers.

Having had perfect vision for over 30 years I don't have a fucking clue how you go about buying the fucking things. What's better in store/online from a friend of a friend behind a pub.

Hector Spector, 4 eyed projector.

Got a prescription from Specsavers about 6 months ago - weakest type they do apparently, but it made a world of difference to my reading of P&B (and other stuff like marking kids' work etc). Seemingly once you go down the spec route, the eyes get lazier and need stronger ones each time. Not bothered about it tbh.

The only b*****d about wearing prescription sunglasses was forgetting to take your normal specs out in the late afternoon/early evening, when it goes from blinding sunlight to complete darkness in 30 minutes. You're then left wondering what's better; blinded by shite eyesight or blinded by wearing sunglasses in the dark.

Added to that, you get the pleasure of looking like a complete tosser wearing sunglasses inside.

1 hour ago, AyrshireTon said:

Got a prescription from Specsavers about 6 months ago - weakest type they do apparently, but it made a world of difference to my reading of P&B (and other stuff like marking kids' work etc). Seemingly once you go down the spec route, the eyes get lazier and need stronger ones each time. Not bothered about it tbh.

My optician said that was a pile of shite. 

I only need specs for reading/PC work.  Have to take them off if I have to walk around, as my feet and the floor are out of focus and it's just too freaky.

My optician said that was a pile of shite. 

My optician said the same. I had to get a much stronger prescription within the first year of getting my first ever pair, so I assumed that my eyes just 'got used' to wearing glasses.

5 hours ago, pub car king said:

So I've been to the optician and I need glasses for when I work on computers.

Having had perfect vision for over 30 years I don't have a fucking clue how you go about buying the fucking things. What's better in store/online from a friend of a friend behind a pub.

I got my last lot from glasses direct.

As someone else said above, you might as well go for a free eye test at a High St opticians, you won't have to buy anything and you'll have the correct prescription and a full eye balls mot. Not sure about buying online though, how can you tell if the frames will fit?

5 hours ago, pub car king said:

My wife called me a specky c**t which is fucking rich considering she was blind as f**k until she got laser eye surgery 

And promptly asked for a divorce?

4 hours ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Be very thankful that you dont need varifocals, they make you sit down before they give you the bill.

I replaced mine a few weeks ago and the bill was £189, including 'extra thin' lenses plus £25 for the eye test.  Not bad seeing as my last pair (rimless titanium specs) cost close to £600.  Plus they got the approval of my 14 year old who is my style adviser and is glad I ditched the 'dad specs'.

Note to the OP...do, at least, get a proper eye test.  Well worth it.

3 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

I replaced mine a few weeks ago and the bill was £189, including 'extra thin' lenses plus £25 for the eye test.  Not bad seeing as my last pair (rimless titanium specs) cost close to £600.  Plus they got the approval of my 14 year old who is my style adviser and is glad I ditched the 'dad specs'.

Note to the OP...do, at least, get a proper eye test.  Well worth it.

^^^

2016-12-02-18-29-55--632910747.jpeg

1 minute ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

He said he needed them for using computers. Do you wear glasses?

I do. Are reading glasses not suitable for using computers? Anyway I recommended he go for a free eye test. 

I did go to a reputable optician on the generic high street and I've got the prescription.  

Just Looking at where's best to get them from do you pay over the odds at the likes of spec savers or is online a case of you get what you pay for.

1 minute ago, pub car king said:

I did go to a reputable optician on the generic high street and I've got the prescription.  

Just Looking at where's best to get them from do you pay over the odds at the likes of spec savers or is online a case of you get what you pay for.

Do you do a job that involves a lot of computer work?

I do, so even if i hadn't gone to Specsavers and got a free eye test, I could have claimed (I think) £25 back towards the cost of an eye test, and I could also claim up to £50 back towards the cost of the specs themselves.

8 minutes ago, pub car king said:

Do you have to have fancy lenses or straightforward reading glasses? If the latter I'd get them off the shelf at Boots, you can try them on and they're only a few quid.

P.S. I use Specsavers because you get 2 for 1, for me distance and sunglasses. Might be more expensive than online but you get to try them on, and they'll fix them they don't fit perfectly.

Archived