Raith Rovers v Heart of Midlothian - 22nd January, 2017

Elixir

Hilarious reading this thread after the event with all the know-it-all Rovers fans telling us we were going to get humped. 
Game of two halves. We were poor first half but stepped up second. Defending for the Hearts goal was woeful. Completely self inflicted. How Stewart missed that sitter I'll never know. Equaliser was a beauty. Great earner for the club in the replay. Think we can have a go at Tynecastle. We just need to defend better. 
Home crowd was woeful but then what can you do when folk stay away. Our support is fickle and pessimism seems to be the natural position. The start of this thread shows that. Couldn't have asked for a better assist/scorer to leave those sitting at home bitching in front of their TV with egg on their face.
Roll on Wednesday 

A shot that was headed straight down the keepers throat can hardly be classed as an assist.

I think the overall contribution by McManus and Skacel this season more than warranted the opinions vented in this thread. Maybe today will be a turning point for them (and us for that matter) but I seriously doubt it and I would still happily drive them both to a new club tomorrow.

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Martin Nelson said:

A shot that was headed straight down the keepers throat can hardly be classed as an assist.

Semantics aside, you have to give Skacel credit for his role in our equaliser. We wouldn't have scored without his strike. 

14 minutes ago, Martin Nelson said:

I think the overall contribution by McManus and Skacel this season more than warranted the opinions vented in this thread. Maybe today will be a turning point for them (and us for that matter) but I seriously doubt it and I would still happily drive them both to a new club tomorrow.

I can assist in proving you wrong.

as¦sist
[əˈsɪst]

VERB

1. help (someone), typically by doing a share of the work:

Hearts and Raith Rovers played out a scrappy 1-1 draw in today’s Scottish Cup fourth-round match at Stark’s Park.

Jamie Walker had given the Jambos the lead but Declan McManus’ last-minute equaliser means they’ll have to do it all over again on Wednesday at Tynecastle.

Ian Cathro handed debuts to all four of his January signings. Lenard Sowah, Aaron Hughes and Andraz Struna made up the defence alongside John Souttar, while Malaury Martin slotted in behind frontman Bjorn Johnsen.

Hearts started on the front foot but it was Raith who had the best chance of the opening ten minutes. Ross Callachan dropped a delightful ball into the six-yard box but before Mark Stewart could get to it, Souttar popped up with a fantastic block.

Nine minutes later the Jambos had an opportunity of their own. Martin’s corner from the right was met by Perry Kitchen, but he could only force his header wide of the target.

An incisive breakaway in the 37th minute saw Hearts take the lead. Don Cowie latched on to a misplaced pass and carried the ball into the box before slipping through Walker, who had time to take a touch before slotting low beyond Kevin Cuthbert in the Raith goal.

Martin started the second-half with a spectacular effort, curling the ball inches over the crossbar from an angle, after Struna touched it back to him at the edge of the box.

The home side should’ve been level in the 57th minute. Kevin McHattie skipped past Souttar to sweep the ball across the face of goal for the unmarked Stewart to connect, but incredibly, he could only hit the crossbar from five-yards out and the chance was gone.

What followed were a few minutes of constant Raith pressure. Hamilton did well to get a good hand to a Callachan effort to push the ball wide, then moments later the ‘keeper beat away a half-volley from Iain Davidson.

The game became scrappy and was on a knife-edge heading into the final ten minutes. Raith substitute Declan McManus turned his man on the edge of the box but could only drag his shot well wide of the target.

With one minute of regulation time on the clock, disaster struck. Substitute Rudi Skacel hit a sweet half-volley into the goalmouth and McManus popped up to nod the ball beyond Hamilton and into the back of the net.

Raith Rovers: Cuthbert, McHattie, Callachan, M'Voto, Benedictus, Johnston (Hardie, 69'), Stewart (McManus, 81'), B.Barr, Matthews, Davidson, Thompson (Skacel, 81'). Subs: Brennan, Thomson, Roberts, C.Barr.

Hearts: Hamilton, Struna, Hughes, Souttar, Sowah, Nowak, Kitchen, Cowie, Martin, Walker (Zanatta, 86'), Johnsen. Subs: Noring, L.Smith, Godinho, Beith, Sammon, Currie.

Referee: John Beaton

Top Man: Aaron Hughes

Your website people voted a donkey as the 'Top Man'

Fucking hilarious.

This must be a topic of embarrassment to the guys who actually put in a shift.

I sometimes wonder how certain people cope being Rovers fans. I've supported the club for over 30 years and aside from a brief period in the 90s, turning up to watch us had always been a bit of a lottery. Sometimes it's entertaining, sometimes it's turgid pish. It's what you sign up for at the start when you decide to be a Rovers fan (or a fan of any smaller provincial club to be fair). If you wanted guaranteed success and dominance you'd f**k off and support Rangers or Celtic like the rest of the arseholes around Fife. A lot of the whining in recent seasons around McGlynn, Murray, briefly around McKinnon this time last season and now Locke has been over the top. It's unhelpful, unnecessary and corrosive. You get the sense a lot of people on this thread earlier were willing us to lose and slightly disappointed when we rallied and got the equaliser. If that's how you feel about your club, you're probably better off staying at home permanently. You'll be happier for it. 

I'm pretty glad to be proven wrong by the team today. I only managed to catch the second half but I thought we were by far the better team, could only imagine how many Vaughan would have managed against that defence.

I sometimes wonder how certain people cope being Rovers fans. I've supported the club for over 30 years and aside from a brief period in the 90s, turning up to watch us had always been a bit of a lottery. Sometimes it's entertaining, sometimes it's turgid pish. It's what you sign up for at the start when you decide to be a Rovers fan (or a fan of any smaller provincial club to be fair). If you wanted guaranteed success and dominance you'd f**k off and support Rangers or Celtic like the rest of the arseholes around Fife. A lot of the whining in recent seasons around McGlynn, Murray, briefly around McKinnon this time last season and now Locke has been over the top. It's unhelpful, unnecessary and corrosive. You get the sense a lot of people on this thread earlier were willing us to lose and slightly disappointed when we rallied and got the equaliser. If that's how you feel about your club, you're probably better off staying at home permanently. You'll be happier for it. 

I thought even you said Locke was only a few games away from the sack on the Rovers thread.

We have been poor of late, and there are certainly seeds of doubt appearing with regards to Locke. There have been some questionable decisions, and this next phase of league games will be absolutely vital. I personally have doubts about the manager but still think there's a bit of time for him to prove those wrong.

However, some of the comments are a bit far and not really necessary. No need for name calling etc.

Sad fact is that some of our fans will be genuinely seething that we played quite well today. We were better than we have been,and showed a great attitude to take the game to Hearts. To still be nit picking at our performance today is a bit sad. It wasn't vintage by a long shot, but its a step in the right direction.

We have been poor of late, and there are certainly seeds of doubt appearing with regards to Locke. There have been some questionable decisions, and this next phase of league games will be absolutely vital. I personally have doubts about the manager but still think there's a bit of time for him to prove those wrong.
However, some of the comments are a bit far and not really necessary. No need for name calling etc.
Sad fact is that some of our fans will be genuinely seething that we played quite well today. We were better than we have been,and showed a great attitude to take the game to Hearts. To still be nit picking at our performance today is a bit sad. It wasn't vintage by a long shot, but its a step in the right direction.

We need to kick on from here though.

Although we've been on this terrible run we still managed to do okay against Hibs and United and what we can't let happen is for this result to be just another blip while we stumble about dropping points to the likes of Dumbarton and Dunfermline.

Given that we haven't managed a win in ten games now (scoring 4 goals), it isn't a wonder people are unhappy. We were awful in the first 45 as well, before thankfully turning up after half time. 

A decent result today, granted, but we bloody well need a win. 

I agree, but we now have fans calling the manager a c**t and actively wanting us to lose games to speed up his exit. I think thats a bit harsh tbh.

Fans can be worried/annoyed without doing that.

5 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Given that we haven't managed a win in ten games now (scoring 4 goals), it isn't a wonder people are unhappy. We were awful in the first 45 as well, before thankfully turning up after half time. 

A decent result today, granted, but we bloody well need a win. 

Spot on. 

I skipped today and I can fully understand why others were the same. I could've went, but frankly I didn't have the optimism that anything would come. The whole last few weeks have been brutal for the club both on and off the pitch. We've had a poor run of form, the board and the fans seem at a disconnect over how things are and generally we lacked belief. The second half was a huge improvement and hopefully we continue in that manner. 

What a difference Ross Matthews made though. It's almost like he brings a sense of discipline and purpose to our midfield and makes others around him better. I'm glad that we've signed him on a new contract, and also that he's back from injury. 

Delighted to see a forward get a goal (McManus's work ethic has been tremendous, nobody can fault that, but he's been lacking goals so hopefully it gives him a boost) and to see us score into the South Stand. 

Cathro quote from Hearts OS

“The new players will show their qualities in the next weeks and months as they get used to each other, and the way we want them to play.”

Lastly, when asked if this replay would now cause an issue with fixture congestion and squad fitness, Cathro stated that Hearts had no choice but to deal with it and ensure the time they get the right result.

“We don’t have a choice now. We must win on Wednesday, there’s no alternative as far as I’m concerned. It’s crazy that we’re having to play back-to-back games. 

“It’s not ideal, and I never looked ahead to it, because I expected to win, but now we must deal with it and get the result.”

What a fucking arsehole, some fucking Head Coach.

14 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

I agree, but we now have fans calling the manager a c**t and actively wanting us to lose games to speed up his exit. I think thats a bit harsh tbh.

Fans can be worried/annoyed without doing that.

Well, yes.

An unpopular appointment in the first instance will always have people becoming unhappy when things go wrong, but that's pretty much the internet. The board haven't helped matters in that regard with the baffling Vaughan/Bates decisions, which I think really exacerbated things. 

7 minutes ago, rw89 said:

Spot on. 

I skipped today and I can fully understand why others were the same. I could've went, but frankly I didn't have the optimism that anything would come. The whole last few weeks have been brutal for the club both on and off the pitch. We've had a poor run of form, the board and the fans seem at a disconnect over how things are and generally we lacked belief. The second half was a huge improvement and hopefully we continue in that manner. 

What a difference Ross Matthews made though. It's almost like he brings a sense of discipline and purpose to our midfield and makes others around him better. I'm glad that we've signed him on a new contract, and also that he's back from injury. 

Delighted to see a forward get a goal (McManus's work ethic has been tremendous, nobody can fault that, but he's been lacking goals so hopefully it gives him a boost) and to see us score into the South Stand. 

Agree, I thought Matthews was excellent today and was thinking about him as our MoM before it was given to Callachan.

I'm pleased for McManus. He was hopeless for weeks and granted he may only have made a slight touch with the ball hammered towards the goal, look at what happened when Stewart had a tap in. I do still think McManus needs some help up top rather than being left on his own like he was in weeks gone by. 

More of the second half and less of the first. 

4 hours ago, Alan Stubbs said:

Daz McGergor and King Dom did the bizzo for us when it really mattered v Raith. Aye we should have done better against them this year in the league but it doesn't look like it will really hurt us in any way.

As I said in the other thread, all joking aside, I expect Hearts to go through pretty comfortably in the replay. Still can't really be blaming "always getting Celtic" for doing nothing in the cup for years, then turn in that kind of performance against a struggling Raith team.

The difference being we're utter shite now. When we were flying through 2014/15 and the first half of last season, we drew them three times on the spin in cup competitions.

34 minutes ago, Zen Archer said:

Cathro quote from Hearts OS

“The new players will show their qualities in the next weeks and months as they get used to each other, and the way we want them to play.”

Lastly, when asked if this replay would now cause an issue with fixture congestion and squad fitness, Cathro stated that Hearts had no choice but to deal with it and ensure the time they get the right result.

“We don’t have a choice now. We must win on Wednesday, there’s no alternative as far as I’m concerned. It’s crazy that we’re having to play back-to-back games. 

“It’s not ideal, and I never looked ahead to it, because I expected to win, but now we must deal with it and get the result.”

What a fucking arsehole, some fucking Head Coach.

It is very quickly becoming apparent just how out of his depth he is. He's like a wee boy.

Just now, Elixir said:

The difference being we're utter shite now. When we were flying through 2014/15 and the first half of last season, we drew them three times on the spin in cup competitions. Bit shit.

It is very quickly becoming aparent just how out of his depth he is.

I found it a very odd quote which was permitted to be put out on the OS, it comes across as being very naïve.

8 hours ago, NorthernJambo said:

Saturday: paid £20 to watch your side pump a pub side.
Sunday: thrashed your maggot because your rivals drew.
Monday: still a league below said rivals.
Some weekend lad.

Image result for Michael Buffer

"-and still The Scottish Cup Holdeeeeeeeeeeeers..."

... on Monday.

cXulI3D.gif

Stubbsy had a drink on Tuesday.

9GtxCai.gif

Hearts had their love-in on Wednesday.

Image result for raith rovers scottish cup hearts

But out Thursday, Friday & Saturday.

Efm17qU.jpg?1

Hibs weren't on Sunday.

Image result for hibs bonnyrigg

1 hour ago, Martin Nelson said:

I thought even you said Locke was only a few games away from the sack on the Rovers thread.

I said if our shit run continued the Board were 4/5 games away from having a decision to make on his future.

Today was much better. The pressure we put on them second half was good and we kept going until the final whistle. If we show that in the league we will start climbing again. If being the key word

I'm unconvinced by Locke but there's a difference between that and wanting us to lose/perform shit. 

Archived