Advertising Update

Over the weekend we took quite a few emails and support requests from users regarding the adverts taking over the screen and causing problems.

As such I took the call to suspend all advertising until I had chance to work with the Ad support guys this morning.

They have now asked me to enable the ads again, but only 2 of the 3 positions are running for now.

Would be grateful if you could post here if you note any issues. If I don't hear anything in the next few hours I'll re-activate the third unit and keep checking the thread to see if there have been any problems.

Again, advertising keeps the site going. I know they are a pain.

The site will always be free to use, but the hosting costs are met by the advertising revenue. It's important to me that the ads don't get in the way or spoil the enjoyment of the forum though.

Alternatively you can contribute to the site by taking out a subscription using the "Store" link above. Paid members do not see any adverts.

Ta!

Very possibly. I've made another change to the ads as I could recreate that blank page problem.

Can you re-test and let me know if problem remains or is resolved for you please mate?

You now have a very.co.uk advert that makes the forum completely unusable on desktop. I'm not exaggerating when I say it's impossible to click anything other than the advert when it's on the page. The only solution is refreshing over and over and over again until a different advert shows up. Incredibly frustrating.

I understand the concept of advertisements for a website, but when they make the website impossible to use, then it's totally pointless.

3 hours ago, Nightmare said:

You now have a very.co.uk advert that makes the forum completely unusable on desktop. I'm not exaggerating when I say it's impossible to click anything other than the advert when it's on the page. The only solution is refreshing over and over and over again until a different advert shows up. Incredibly frustrating.

I understand the concept of advertisements for a website, but when they make the website impossible to use, then it's totally pointless.

Understood and totally agree.

I've dropped to one ad unit to try and isolate the problem. The ad guys are trying some new units and clearly we have some issues.

Please post here if you have any problems after 11pm tonight.

I've made the same change on B&W Army for posters affected there.

• 5 weeks later...

Lately the ads have been covering the page, but with an "x" clicky to make them go away. Is this a permanent change?

Coincidentally, the forum seems to freeze every so often on the PC and the window won't close when clicked. This used to happen on IE so I switched to Chrome, but now it's happening again. Any way to stop it freezing?

On 30/12/2016 at 17:53, AyrshireTon said:

Lately the ads have been covering the page, but with an "x" clicky to make them go away. Is this a permanent change?

Coincidentally, the forum seems to freeze every so often on the PC and the window won't close when clicked. This used to happen on IE so I switched to Chrome, but now it's happening again. Any way to stop it freezing?

There are some campaigns running that do a screen takeover but they are capped at  2-3 impressions per IP address per day.

Not seen any other reports of locking up?

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, AyrshireTon said:

The "Switch current account " ads are getting very annoying. Seen a few of them and they're on every page, playing automatically, drowning out my Sportsound.

Agreed. It seems to be on every single page for me.  I'm feeling Shafted.

I've sent an email to the ad team to opt out of the auto-play sound ads, and also to ask them to look in to the forced redirects.

This is a general problem in the ad industry when dealing with lots of pools apparently. Some fuckers don't play by the rules.

35 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

I've been getting this problem that when I click on St Mirren threads I get redirected to the League One forum. Anyone else notice this?

People have been banned for less!