Dunfermline v Ayr, Saturday 3rd December

By and large we were pretty solid in defence today, any threat came from Devlin having the better of Talbot for pace but luckily his final ball was poor. When Duthie came on he was diving in when the ball wasn't there to be won and Harkins would skip past him, he had a good run forward and won a few good headers but I've not seen a defender crumble like that at a player running at them for a while. Ayr realised that and most balls then came down his side.

Interestingly(or not) Martin got a second yellow for what appears to be a shirt tug in a fairly innocuous position in the box, wasn't anywhere close to being a goal-scoring opportunity. While for both our penalties neither Ayr player got a yellow, I'm not sure how much of an effect it had in the end for the game, with us being a man down Ayr had to come forward more and we had more chances with ten men than eleven due to them leaving their poor looking defence exposed, it did seem like a poor decision to send him off though.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A strange game. The first half was dull with the only good bit of football resulting in a nicely worked goal. Ayr made a change at half time and it was a bit more open with the penalty and red card then changing things. The red itself was one you'd be annoyed at but which the ref can easily justify - a long slide in which made no contact at all but often results in a booking, then a shirt pull which often results in a booking - but some of the other challenges that went unpunished made it hard to take.

At the end though, it turned into a great tense advert for the league - with 25 minutes left all three results looked equally likely despite Pars being a man short. The first penalty looked soft and the kick itself was woeful. The second was clearer and might have even resulted in a red card since it wasn't a genuine attempt to win the ball and the keeper was the only other player he had to beat but I'm not evem sure he was booked? The second penalty looked well struck and into the corner and it was a cracking save with the added luck that the ball spun across the goals but not in. Although there was a bit of a to-do about who was taking it, I wouldn't have been that confident if McCabe was the taker either and it was a good save rather than a bad miss IMO.

All in all a reasonable point with the red card and both sets of fans will have left feeling a bit disappointed I'd imagine. 

Usual positives for Ayr, particularly the energy and character of the team, but the usual negatives too.  Forward line is absolute powder puff - surely Craig Moore is nearly ready to return.  If not, we need to come up with a plan B as the lack of pace and movement up front is killing us.  Think we could really have used Cairney in the middle of the park today - real lack of composure at times.  

Would of taken a point before the game and delighted with the point afterwards.

Dunfermline were still a threat with 10 men but I felt a draw was probably a fair result over the piece. Definite penalty for Ayr, the referee got that spot on.

The double penalty incident (Fleming apart) was like a comedy of errors. What a record he has!

The second half was hugely entertaining. I just hope our lack of goals and presence upfront doesn't come back to haunt us.

By and large we were pretty solid in defence today, any threat came from Devlin having the better of Talbot for pace but luckily his final ball was poor. When Duthie came on he was diving in when the ball wasn't there to be won and Harkins would skip past him, he had a good run forward and won a few good headers but I've not seen a defender crumble like that at a player running at them for a while. Ayr realised that and most balls then came down his side.

Interestingly(or not) Martin got a second yellow for what appears to be a shirt tug in a fairly innocuous position in the box, wasn't anywhere close to being a goal-scoring opportunity. While for both our penalties neither Ayr player got a yellow, I'm not sure how much of an effect it had in the end for the game, with us being a man down Ayr had to come forward more and we had more chances with ten men than eleven due to them leaving their poor looking defence exposed, it did seem like a poor decision to send him off though.

Believe Boyle got booked for his challenge, second penalty.

4 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Fleming wasn't even the best keeper playing in today's game.

Embarrassing to drop two more points against Ayr. The fact they couldn't beat us with a man advantage shows you what an absolute shower they are.

Score yer penalties and you win, simples

Have to think that mccall would have got another 10-15 points out of our players.

That's a league one side playing to their absolute limits with the addition of just two quality players.

Our bench had more striking options than Ayr. 

It's not luck it's bad management seven missed pens in 20 or so games.

Utter farce.

Have to think that mccall would have got another 10-15 points out of our players.

That's a league one side playing to their absolute limits with the addition of just two quality players.

Our bench had more striking options than Ayr. 

It's not luck it's bad management seven missed pens in 20 or so games.

Utter farce.

Little bit harsh, but definitely a grain of truth. We are short up front, we know that and yes McCall would have you top 4 in my opinion

Archived