Pay What You can at the Gate - Gala Fairydean Rovers v East Stirlingshire

Soor Plooms

Admission charges for Gala's home game against East Stirlingshire this coming Saturday have been abolished and instead supporters will be asked to pay what they can at the gate in order to raise money for local charities. 

Gala Fairydean Rovers Press Release 28/11/16 - Pay what You Can for Charity

Admission charges for Gala Fairydean Rovers forthcoming home game against East Stirlingshire have been scrapped and instead, the club are adopting a “pay what you can” policy where supporters of both teams will be asked to make a charitable donation at the gate. All profits from this venture will be donated to the club’s local charity partners, Scottish HART, The Rowan Bolland Trust, Callum’s Trust and The Borders Asperger’s and Autism Support Group (BAAGS).

Spectators usually pay £5 for entry to Gala Fairydean Rovers home league matches. Premier Club card holders and children under 16 normally get free entry to Lowland League games but on this occasion they will also be asked to put money in buckets at the turnstiles.

The club’s Secretary Graeme McIver explained;

“This is the second time we have held a “pay what you can” day at Netherdale and we were very successful in raising money for charity on the previous occasion in February of 2015. With Christmas approaching we felt it would be a good time to try and raise some much needed funds for the four local charities that are in community partnership with Gala Fairydean Rovers. We would encourage as many people as possible to get along and support the team as well as these worthwhile causes.”

East Stirlingshire currently sit in second place in the Lowland League table following their relegation from League 2 last season and are sure to provide stern and attractive opposition to the Braw Lads.

Free entry vouchers distributed to supporters who attended last month’s William Hill Scottish Cup Round 2 tie against Elgin City are also still valid for the game.

While I applaud the concept I have a slight concern about the statement "all profits from this venture will be donated to the club’s local charity partners". If you were to offer, for example, £10 it might seem, at first sight, that the whole £10 would go to charity. Or, would it be the proportion of the £10 that the club consider as profit on their admission prices? It could be a significant difference. I'm not suggesting there is any wrong doing whatsoever but with all charities I do like to know what I am giving. Good luck anyway - I hope there is a decent crowd and plenty of money is raised.

21 hours ago, Northboy said:

While I applaud the concept I have a slight concern about the statement "all profits from this venture will be donated to the club’s local charity partners". If you were to offer, for example, £10 it might seem, at first sight, that the whole £10 would go to charity. Or, would it be the proportion of the £10 that the club consider as profit on their admission prices? It could be a significant difference. I'm not suggesting there is any wrong doing whatsoever but with all charities I do like to know what I am giving. Good luck anyway - I hope there is a decent crowd and plenty of money is raised.

Hi Northboy... There's no need for concern.  Every penny put in the buckets will go to charity.  So if you offered £10 all of it goes towards the total that will be divided evenly between the 4 nominated charities. In retrospect the press release should have said "all monies" rather than "profits". Hope that clears things up? 

39 minutes ago, Soor Plooms said:

Hi Northbourne... There's no need for concern.  Every penny put in the buckets will go to charity.  So if you offered £10 all of it goes towards the total that will be divided evenly between the 4 nominated charities. In retrospect the press release should have said "all monies" rather than "profits". Hope that clears things up? 

Ye shouldn't have to clear anything up bud it's a fantastic gesture by your club. 

Just go. Nae ifs and buts. By train as well. Planning to get an early train down myself  along with a couple of others. Or just get on the supporters  bus. No doubt will meet u at some point. 

Get ur tenner out, at least, for the charity collection as well. Gala Fairydean Rovers deserve to be supported in their charity fundraising especially as they can expect a decent crowd for the game and to give up that revenue is something special to pass on to their local community.

Ok. Looks like I'm going. However, the train allows me to go early and make my own time. I MIGHT be meeting the gf's brother for a pint who's a borderer (doesn't look too promising due to his work I must confess). I'm hoping to go to the Gala v Ayr game nxt door which starts at 2pm. I'm going to catch the first half then head to the footy. 

Agree with a tenner. I believe Rovers normally charge a fiver but since it's for worthwhile causes then absolutely.

On ‎29‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 07:29, Soor Plooms said:

Hi Northboy... There's no need for concern.  Every penny put in the buckets will go to charity.  So if you offered £10 all of it goes towards the total that will be divided evenly between the 4 nominated charities. In retrospect the press release should have said "all monies" rather than "profits". Hope that clears things up? 

Thanks Soor Plooms for your clarification. I suspected this was the case. Hope it's a successful day on Saturday.

A TYPICAL RUGBY YAWNION GAME PHOTO . WHERE `s THE BALL DADDY ? BUT AT LEAST U CAN DRINK IN THE GROUND WHILE WATCHING INTERNATIONAL PAINT DRYING from TWICKENHAM . RAAAA ! FEET SCOTLAND FEET ! MATCH TIME 80 MINUTES . BALL IN PLAY 60 MINUTES . SPECTATOR ABLE TO SEE BALL 15 MINUTES :P:whistle

7 hours ago, MAC THE KNIFE said:

A TYPICAL RUGBY YAWNION GAME PHOTO . WHERE `s THE BALL DADDY ? BUT AT LEAST U CAN DRINK IN THE GROUND WHILE WATCHING INTERNATIONAL PAINT DRYING from TWICKENHAM . RAAAA ! FEET SCOTLAND FEET ! MATCH TIME 80 MINUTES . BALL IN PLAY 60 MINUTES . SPECTATOR ABLE TO SEE BALL 15 MINUTES :P:whistle

I have no idea what you're talking about Mac the Knife but it's a big deal in the Borders.  If you tell anyone in Gala you like "the other version" of rugby from the north of England, including the Rovers footy fans, then you'll get a few strange looks :P

12 hours ago, MAC THE KNIFE said:

I used to enjoy rugby union but these days it's too stop/start particularly with scrums and the multiple substitutions in the last 20 minutes.

2 Glasgow players playing for Ayr tomorrow aswell :thumsup2

Stop talking about rugby !

This is was one trip I was looking forward too when fixtures where released unfortunately work commitments stop me being there. Sure there will be goals anyway

4-1 shire

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

150-200 or so? Might be an over-estimate.

Highlights from 'Shire TV. Who could disagree the incredible first chance, while still 0-0, ranks as one of the greatest in the history of association football.

I'm not sure, I seem to remember a match shown on Scotsport in the 80s between Aberdeen & Hibs where Joe Harper managed to do a Cryfff turn, a Baxter keepie up before making a Kempes worthy overhead kick only to be denied by Jim McArthur at full stretch with what Dino Zoff was later to describe as the moment that made him decide not to retire until he could pull off a save that was half as good. Or at least I think that was what happened under the duvet of fog before the referee blew for match abandoned.

As to the match, the goal in the 53rd minute by David Grant (& no Zen, before you say anything it's not the guy that used to be with Linx) was cut at some angle (go to 3.56 above to watch it again).

The Hobbits could have actually scored a lot more had one or two of them not been so sporting in front of goal & taken shots themselves instead of passing out to others. It's harder to decide whether The Shire really were that good, whether the Bunny Bashers' defence were simply having an utter nightmare, or (my own view) a perfect storm of both.

Archived