50 Greatest Games of all time - P&B decides

Dindeleux

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

Cant do an order off the top of top of my head but my top 10 in terms of how long they entertained me for would be.....

Sonic 2
Mario Bros 3
Shenmue
The Warriors
MGS (ps1)
GTA 5
Streets of Rage
FIFA 98
Age of Empires 2
C&C Tiberian Sun

Age of Empires 2 :wub:

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't believe I forgot Resident Evil 2...I remember playing that so much that I attempted a speed run for the S grade.  That was finish the game in under 2 hours (I think) without saving or using first aid spay.  Got to the last corridor before the final boss battle with an absolutely flawless run...then ran into a zombie, who caught me and killed me.  I quietly put the controller down and turned the PS off so that I didn't go absolutely postal on it.

2 hours ago, forameus said:

Can't believe I forgot Resident Evil 2...I remember playing that so much that I attempted a speed run for the S grade.  That was finish the game in under 2 hours (I think) without saving or using first aid spay.  Got to the last corridor before the final boss battle with an absolutely flawless run...then ran into a zombie, who caught me and killed me.  I quietly put the controller down and turned the PS off so that I didn't go absolutely postal on it.

:lol: That's brutal. Did you ever try again? Or was it too much for you?

5 hours ago, Tamdunk said:

Theme park on the megadrive was one of the first games I did an all nighter on, ended falling asleep and waking up on the wages negotiation screen finding out that the park staff had been on strike for ages and my park was totally goosed.

Theme hospital done that for me

Had my hospital running smoothly, thought id paused it to go do something (canny mind what) came back to find emergencies all over the place, dignitaries being left unattended, queues everywhere, hospital in ruins :lol: 

Loved that game though 

So to start my update, you can all go f**k yourselves. An hour ago I sat down to play Battlefield and when I checked my messages I couldn't believe how many people had PMd.....every time a new game appeared in your messages I was cursing you as an individual.

Great response.

So I still haven't done any counting or totalling up but obviously I can see scores as I add them to the spreadsheet and it's clear we have a few contenders for the number one position. A few games looked as if they were taking all the votes in the first batch I added the other day but now a few more contenders have arrived.

For those of you who sent me a list in no particular order (more than one - and not just formatting issues the message has said it's not in order ).....are you kidding me? I've mailed you all back and votes haven't been counted as yet.

Also, a couple of people just said "Fifa". I took these votes (let's say it was just 3 for ease of the example) and gave one each to the 3 individually named FIFAs that I got through.....hopefully everyone agrees that was a fair way to do it.

I've had 206 unique games sent to me. Some of these I've been shocked to only see one person naming and others I've been shocked as to how many people named them. There are definitely a few games I need to get round to playing based on your votes.

I have received at least 2 nominations for 64 different games. This ensures we won't have the potential for some absure titles sneaking in there due to 1 person awarding it top marks which is good as that is something I was worried about.

Our top 9 nominated games in terms of numbers are:

2 games with 10 nominations

2 games with 9 nominations

4 games with 7 nominations

1 game with 6 nominations

Then we have a big batch of games with 5 or 4 nominations and......off the top of my head about 20 who have just two nominations.

I have no idea what the overall score will need to be yet to make the top 50 but I'd assume this early that if a game has been ranked say 8th by 1 person and 9th by another - so 5 total points - that it won't make the list. Could be wrong.

Final reminder that I need PMs to count your vote, will try my best to check through the thread on Sunday night but it would be far easier if you could just send it through.

And an hour after I sat down I'm away to play Battlefield.

You c***s.

Give it a little more time.  After a couple of hours my short attention span was struggling, as it does with a few games.  Gave it a little longer, and it's the best game I've ever played.

It's not for everyone though, admittedly.  I'd say that if you hated your early time with the game, you probably won't like it if you keep playing it.  

I didn't hate it, I liked the initial combat, I just got to the tavern and played that card game that made no sense and left at that. Been needing to pick it up again

2 minutes ago, XIII said:

I didn't hate it, I liked the initial combat, I just got to the tavern and played that card game that made no sense and left at that. Been needing to pick it up again
The stupid card game that they're turning into a stand alone game :rolleyes:

I didnt hate it either but I got bored of all the cut scenes doing the main quest.

If it comes out on top of this list I will shut down the Gaming forum!

14 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

:lol: That's brutal. Did you ever try again? Or was it too much for you?

I don't really remember trying it again, think it scarred me for life.  What a game though.

9 minutes ago, XIII said:

I never really got into gwent either (the card game), found it pretty tedious and arbitrary at the lower levels.  In fact, after the first time it makes you play it, I can probably count the times I played it on one hand.  It's not critical to the story or anything, more a completely optional side quest, so wouldn't let that put you off.  

7 minutes ago, Mr X said:
The stupid card game that they're turning into a stand alone game :rolleyes:

I didnt hate it either but I got bored of all the cut scenes doing the main quest.

If it comes out on top of this list I will shut down the Gaming forum!

You spelt "accept that it's pure better than Fallout 4, ken" wrong :P I don't think you'll have much to worry about, not many people who've said their lists have named it at all.    For me it was one of the most perfectly rounded games I've ever played, but in its early hours I was about to sack it off.  Plenty will have.  The people that don't like it all give decent enough reasons, it's not going to please everyone.

Except the cutscenes.  'Sakes X, wits up with you?

6 minutes ago, forameus said:

I don't really remember trying it again, think it scarred me for life.  What a game though.

I never really got into gwent either (the card game), found it pretty tedious and arbitrary at the lower levels.  In fact, after the first time it makes you play it, I can probably count the times I played it on one hand.  It's not critical to the story or anything, more a completely optional side quest, so wouldn't let that put you off.  

You spelt "accept that it's pure better than Fallout 4, ken" wrong :P I don't think you'll have much to worry about, not many people who've said their lists have named it at all.    For me it was one of the most perfectly rounded games I've ever played, but in its early hours I was about to sack it off.  Plenty will have.  The people that don't like it all give decent enough reasons, it's not going to please everyone.

Maybe its just the main quest but the cutscenes were just so tedious and long and seemed to happen every two seconds

Dont think list went to Dindeleux but heres mine

1. Knights of the old republic

2. Fallout 4

3. Skyrim

4. Burnout paradise

5. Halo 3

6. Red dead redemption

7. Legend of zelda ocarina of time

8. Metroid prime

9. Dragonage origins

10. Halflife 2

God that was hard.

You spelt "accept that it's pure better than Fallout 4, ken" wrong [emoji14] I don't think you'll have much to worry about, not many people who've said their lists have named it at all.    For me it was one of the most perfectly rounded games I've ever played, but in its early hours I was about to sack it off.  Plenty will have.  The people that don't like it all give decent enough reasons, it's not going to please everyone.

I've got Witcher 3 sitting waiting to be played. Bought it when it was down to £12 in Tesco. I've still not finished Fallout 4 over a year after it came out. These games take forever to complete if you don't just rattle through the main quest.

My Fallout 4 save is at 6 days something. Would hate to think how much time I've spent on this plus 3 and New Vegas. Will need to decide to include all three games or just one from the series in my top ten.

Just now, Mr X said:

No. There are people outright disagreeing though ;)

Don't get me wrong, I played both games at length and enjoyed Fallout 4 for what it was. It was far weaker than Fallout 3 and NV though.

Witcher 3 on the other hand is an absolute epic.

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Don't get me wrong, I played both games at length and enjoyed Fallout 4 for what it was. It was far weaker than Fallout 3 and NV though.

Witcher 3 on the other hand is an absolute epic.

I played both games and really struggled to get into Witcher 3

I can understand how others might like it, or even prefer it to Fallout.

Its not the best game ever, though

Witcher 3 is the best single game player ever in just about every department and Fallout 4, which is not even the best Fallout game, isn't even in the same stratosphere.

Anyway brief 5 min go at the list:

1. Dota 2

2. The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt

3. Half Life 2

4. Super Street Fighter II

5. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

6. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

7. Jak II (really struggled between 2 and 3 here)

8. Pokemon Red/Blue

9. Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War

Number 10 I'm going to have a good think about and PM you later when I finalise it after work.

22 minutes ago, GiGi said:

Witcher 3 is the best single game player ever in just about every department and Fallout 4, which is not even the best Fallout game, isn't even in the same stratosphere.

Oh, my .. no.

Heres my list. It was tough and I had to leave a lot of good games out. I've tried to pick games from right across the 30 odd years Ive been playing games and games that Ive either spent a lot of time playing or that were something groundbreaking or different - or in some cases, both.

1. Skyrim (PC)
2. Fallout 3 (PC)
3. Legend of Zelda - Ocarina of time (N64)
4. FM / CM (PC) [I struggled to pick one particular version!]
5. Shenmue (DC)
6. Privateer 2 (PC)
7. Sensible world of soccer (amiga)
8. Blade runner (PC)
9. Tony Hawks 2 (PSX)
10. Dune (amiga)

53 minutes ago, Mr X said:

I played both games and really struggled to get into Witcher 3

I can understand how others might like it, or even prefer it to Fallout.

Its not the best game ever, though

Aye it is :P

They're different games at the end of the day, it all depends what you want from a game.  The Witcher weighed very heavily on story.  Fallout didn't, and personally I think it was one of the weaker parts of the game.  Fallout's world was better overall, W3's more detailed parts were probably better, but there are a lot of wide open spaces where not much happens and it's just landscape.  FO was a lot more densely packed.  Quests were far, far superior on W3 with everyone written with care, rather than the collect-a-thon, go-here-kill-this quests that FO leaned on.  W3 had some of those too, but it always felt like you were building towards the world rather than just being padding.  

So aye.  FO4 has some absolutely brilliant points, but definite negatives.  Personally, I believe W3 to be one of the best games ever made because of the things I like in games.  FO could have been, but fell quite short.  Just depends what you want.

Just now, forameus said:

Aye it is :P

They're different games at the end of the day, it all depends what you want from a game.  The Witcher weighed very heavily on story.  Fallout didn't, and personally I think it was one of the weaker parts of the game.  Fallout's world was better overall, W3's more detailed parts were probably better, but there are a lot of wide open spaces where not much happens and it's just landscape.  FO was a lot more densely packed.  Quests were far, far superior on W3 with everyone written with care, rather than the collect-a-thon, go-here-kill-this quests that FO leaned on.  W3 had some of those too, but it always felt like you were building towards the world rather than just being padding.  

So aye.  FO4 has some absolutely brilliant points, but definite negatives.  Personally, I believe W3 to be one of the best games ever made because of the things I like in games.  FO could have been, but fell quite short.  Just depends what you want.

No it isnae :P

Fallout 4 didnt make my top 10, but only because I picked 3 ahead of it and didnt want to include two games from the same series.

21 minutes ago, Mr X said:

No it isnae :P

Fallout 4 didnt make my top 10, but only because I picked 3 ahead of it and didnt want to include two games from the same series.

If it's a straight fight between Fallout games, 3 would win for me.  I'd probably put New Vegas and 4 about level for their benefits, but 3 just felt a lot better than 4, which often felt a bit like something was missing from making it really great.

But anyway, we can save all this for when Witcher 3 is crowned as number 1 and you go all Colonel Kurtz on the forum.

Archived