50 Greatest Games of all time - P&B decides

Dindeleux

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thinking about the rating issue, is it games that have only one nomination you're thinking of ignoring, or 1 point games? Is the same game coming 10th 5 times a higher standing that a game earning one 10 pointer?

Maybe after finishing the top 50 countdown, then do a single post of all that didnt make it, plus a top 50 by number of nominations rather than points?

46 minutes ago, banana said:

Thinking about the rating issue, is it games that have only one nomination you're thinking of ignoring, or 1 point games? Is the same game coming 10th 5 times a higher standing that a game earning one 10 pointer?

Maybe after finishing the top 50 countdown, then do a single post of all that didnt make it, plus a top 50 by number of nominations rather than points?

I think how he is scoring it is your first placed game scored 10 points, 2nd nine and so on

GTA: San Andreas
Fallout 3
Skyrim
Pokemon (Blue)
Dark Souls
Jak & Daxter
Rocket League
Ratchet & Clank
Super Mario Bros. 3
Crash Bandicoot 2

Had to limit myself to one per franchise or there would have been 6 spaces taken up by GTA and Fallout. Very tough choice between Vice City and San Andreas and Fallout 3 and New Vegas. Honourable mentions to Red Dead, The Warriors, Assassins Creed 2, Fifa plus many many others.

1. LMA Manager 2007
  2. Halo 3
  3. Destruction Derby 1
  4. Pro Evolution Soccer 5
  5. The Warriors
  6. GTA: San Andreas
  7. Hitman: Blood Money
  8. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
  9. Pokemon Red 
  10. Rocket League

That was hard I had 1-8 that would definitely be on the list but 9-10 was difficult to pick.

Honourable mentions:

• Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4
  • RollerCoaster Tycoon 2
  • Fallout  3/New Vegas
  • Cel Damage
  • Mortal Kombat Trilogy
  • LMA 2005
  • GTA 5
  • Theme Park/Theme Hospital

f**k that was a great game, 

Haven't seen a vote for the huge game that is Team Fortress 2 either. Absolute riot of a game, the Mario Kart of team online FPS.

Actually, any Counterstrike votes yet?

1. LMA Manager 2007
  2. Halo 3
  3. Destruction Derby 1
  4. Pro Evolution Soccer 5
  5. The Warriors
  6. GTA: San Andreas
  7. Hitman: Blood Money
  8. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
  9. Pokemon Red 
  10. Rocket League
That was hard I had 1-8 that would definitely be on the list but 9-10 was difficult to pick.

Honourable mentions:

• Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4
  • RollerCoaster Tycoon 2
  • Fallout  3/New Vegas
  • Cel Damage
  • Mortal Kombat Trilogy
  • LMA 2005
  • GTA 5
  • Theme Park/Theme Hospital

Haven't had any kind of message from you and you haven't said what is first/last.

1 -  Witcher 3

2 - Championship Manager 01/02

3 - Skyrim

4 - Half Life 2

5 - Half Life

6 - Command and Conquer: Red Alert 2

7 - Rollercoaster Tycoon

8 - GTAV

9 - Max Payne 2

10 - Bioshock

That was tough.  There's a few standouts at the top, but the bottom is filled with loads of games about the same level.  A few games are in there probably not because of their quality but because of the memories of playing when I was younger.  I remember playing Max Payne 2 demo and being absolutely amazed at objects in the game reacting to physics.  Think it was the first time I'd seen it done in a game. Plus the story was brilliant IMO, start to finish.  Rollercoaster Tycoon I actually kind of knew the guy who made it - bought a basic game he made a few years before at a Dunblane Church Fete of all places.  Just a pong rip-off really, but RCT definitely wasn't.  Spent so long over it, seeing it as a more grown-up Theme Park.  Red Alert 2 was similar, think it was the first game I played seriously online (on a 56k modem no less) and ended up in the top 100 worldwide at one point.  Plus the single player was delightfully ridiculous with the live action cutscenes. 

Half Life and Half Life 2 make it on for similar reasons.  At the time they were so far ahead of direct competitors, and are probably one of the shining examples of linear story-based games.  It's unfortunate that they never really managed to close out the episodes for HL2, but standalone they remain fantastic and probably still playable today unlike a lot of older games.  GTAV deserves a place because Rockstar really pushed the boat out and made sure they put everything they could into the game.  Big bonus points for doing a remaster where they put some effort in unlike most.  They've just about managed to resist the temptation to phone it in now they've hit the jackpot with the online, and at least they're still concentrating on adding content to that.

The top three are well clear of the rest.  Skyrim probably would've been second.  Probably the game universe I fell in love with most when it first came out on 360.  Just seemed so alive, so varied, just brilliant.  It was only beaten back by the greatest CM game ever.  Not the best quality wise, and maybe just thought of because of when it was, but I spent so long on it.  They had perfected the quick style of play where you could breeze through if you wanted to, whereas FM now is a lot more cerebral.  No surprise to see others mention this one in particular.

And the best game of all time by some considerable distance is Witcher 3.  Took a little while to get into, but there are no other games where I've been (I thought) close to the end and I've been genuinely gutted that it's ending.  As it was, I still had a good four or five hours left from that point.  It's absolutely vast, it looks amazing, it's probably the best written game I've played - much harder when you have literally hundreds of quests to map out than a more linear game.  It's as close to perfect as any game I've ever played, made even better by the fact that the developer released massive updates pretty much fixing every little annoyance users reported.  Don't like the interface?  We'll spend this minor update completely overhauling it for you.  A triumph, only made better by chunky DLCs that themselves lasted longer than some standalone games.  So aye, it's alright.

Just now, Dindeleux said:

Sorry that was supposed to be a reply to@Gingersaint.

I was writing a detailed explanation for each selection. Should have it now though. I accidentally deleted most of it and couldn't be arsed doing to it again.

1. Goldeneye 64 (N64)

2. Pro Evolution Soccer (PS2)

3. Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun (PC)

4. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64)

5. Call of Duty with the United Offensive Expansion Pack (PC)

6. Championship Manager 97/98 (PC)

7. WWF No Mercy (N64)

8. Sim City 3000 (PC)

9. GOAL (Gameboy)

10. Cannon Fodder (SNES)

Honourable mentions are:

GTA Vice City (PS2)

Max Payne 2 (PC)

Freespace 2 (PC)

Archived