50 Greatest Games of all time - P&B decides

Dindeleux

1. Medieval Total War
  2. Sid Meier's Civilisation II
  3. Star Wars Battlefront II (2005 for PS2/PC)
  4. F1 2010 (The immersive-ness was unbelievable for an F1 Game)
  5. Halo 3
  6. F1 2013 (The Classic Edition expansion pack was amazing, #BrandsHatchinUnder60Secs)
  7. Championship Manager 03-04
  8. Rome: Total War (Medieval II is basically a copy of this)
  9. Forza Motorsport 3
  10. Fifa 96 (I had it on it's own console, it was fucking weird but it had United on it so it's better than Fifa 17)

Cricket 03, F1 05 and a couple of other games come close.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Put a (not very) short list together easily enough, but putting it in order is tough. How to compare an old school Championship Manager to a modern RPG, how to compare The Last of Us to a classic Mega Drive platformer?

Think I'm going to end up ignoring any kind of technical considerations and purely boil it down to how much enjoyment I got from each of them - ie what are my favourite games without considering whether it constitutes being the greatest in terms of innovation etc.

Going to be fascinating to see how this list turns out considering the varied range of platforms and genres posters here are interested in.

On 11/27/2016 at 00:28, Ramagamma said:
  • 1. Dota 2

Good man!

Felt like placing it 1st, then the other 9 tied 10th, such is the gap :thumsup2

21 hours ago, bunglebonce said:
  • Wipeout 3: Special Edition

Never played this, but Wipeout 2 for me is without doubt way ahead of anything other racer. But such a rage-inducing game that I couldn't bring myself to place it top 10.

On 11/26/2016 at 20:35, D.A.F.C said:

9. Target Renegade

Didn't expect to see this here, some call! Can still remember the theme tune. Dooo dooo dooo dooo do-dodo dodo dooo do! Wait, or was that Double Dragon?

I did one of these a while back, although it may have been culled since.  Will try and dig it out.

Absolutely no issues with someone else doing it again, was interesting to see what came out of it.

EDIT: Aye, it's long gone it seems.  I'll get my list over.  Like others say, this is going to be tough.

Found it easy enough to choose the first 5 or 6, and 13 or 14 in total but specifically narrowing it down to 10 and putting them in order was difficult. Eventually went for…

1.  Dragon Age Origins
2.  Football Manager 2008
3.  FIFA 17
4.  Dragon age II
5.  Pokemon Blue
6.  Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2004
7.  Star Wars: Episode 1 – The Phantom Menace
8.  Crash Team Racing
9.  Hogs of War
10. Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped

On 26/11/2016 at 12:39, Dindeleux said:

Just on this topic guys there will be various votes for different types of the same game which I will be counting separate - until such times that it's clear I need to bundle them together to get correct results. I'd prefer it if you could name the exact game you refer to - so FIFA 95, Champ Man 01/02 etc.

If I was to receive say 20 votes for 10 different years of FM then I may be forced to bundle them together as "Football Manager" but my preference would be to avoid this.

By the same (or opposite I suppose) way of think I would NOT bundle together a game series........so if I get 5 votes for Fallout 3 and 5 for Fallout 4 these will be counted individually.

Hope that makes sense - and if I'm struggling to work out whether to place together or not I will come and ask you for your opinions.

To prevent any such confusion I limited myself to one game per franchise. Otherwise 5 of my games would have been from Bethesda(elder Scrolls, fallout)  and 4 from Square enix(final fantasy) 

When coming up with my list I thought of 2 things, what games have I spent loads of time with and what games have I had loads of fun with. I got my 10 games together then sorted them in order. Pretty happy with my list. 

3 hours ago, banana said:

Never played this, but Wipeout 2 for me is without doubt way ahead of anything other racer. But such a rage-inducing game that I couldn't bring myself to place it top 10.

Wipeout 3 was still on the PS1 but it was designed for the new analogue stick.  Piloting was smoother and there was more forgiveness in hitting the walls.  Wipeout 3: Special Edition was Wipeout 3 plus remastered versions of the best tracks from 1 and 2(097).

I realise I listed 11 games, so it would be a coin toss between that and Super Mario Kart for tenth spot.

This is going to be one of these lists where the top placed entries have around 3 votes. 

Hopefully not but you might be right.

Just a reminder to everyone who has posted in here to send me the list via PM too.

Oh and if someone can let me know when my inbox is full too that would be grand.

Archived