50 Greatest Games of all time - P&B decides

Dindeleux

So as TLOU was getting more and more hype on this thread over the last few weeks I went and bought it and have given it a go. It is not my typical game and I am struggling to get past a bit with about 5 clickers (first one has his back to you). To be honest I am on the verge of sacking it but the love in on here might force me into one more go.

I have also bought witcher 3 - this thread is costing me a fortune [emoji3]

Disappointing lack of hitman games on the list. Always been an underrated below the radar franchise.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also got stuck at the part and was close to sacking it, don't do it. I'm sure I posted on the TLOU thread about this very problem so there might be some advice on that, pretty sure I fluked it with a part stealth part run and gun approach, you run up a ramp at bone point and once at the top you are all good.

I'm working my way into Skyrim right now due to its placing in the top 5, pretty impressive so far although I'm not sure if I like the combat it feels a bit clunky.

I found that at the start but it got smoother with added skills and weaponry/spells etc.

I also got stuck at the part and was close to sacking it, don't do it. I'm sure I posted on the TLOU thread about this very problem so there might be some advice on that, pretty sure I fluked it with a part stealth part run and gun approach, you run up a ramp at bone point and once at the top you are all good.

Ok I will take this is motivation and try to get there! [emoji106]

9 hours ago, Dindeleux said:

I'm working my way into Skyrim right now due to its placing in the top 5, pretty impressive so far although I'm not sure if I like the combat it feels a bit clunky.

For me, the best way to play Skyrim is a stealth archer, the archery is quite satisfying when you get good at it. I presume you're on console so you can't disable the auto distance aim, but it's still fun. It's a bit hard early doors though, and leaves you a bit prone against bosses, so make sure you level up 1 handed attacks a bit too. Don't level up things like smithing and enchanting too much at the start, while easily done it'll mean you're too weak against enemies. Level up Sneak, archery and illusion magic. Use fury/frenzy spells if you can without alerting people, chop firewood to make arrows and get the backstab perks and a decent dagger for when you can sneak up on folk.

Destruction magic doesn't level up well past a certain level and 1 or 2 handed combat gets a bit boring, but sneaking up on folk or hitting great shots from miles away stays fun throughout the game imo.

Also not to be picking when you've put so much effort into the thread Dindeleux, but I notice that list of points outwith the top 50 includes COD 4 with 10 points: it made it into the top 50 with 20 points did it not?

3 hours ago, Dunlop Don said:

So as TLOU was getting more and more hype on this thread over the last few weeks I went and bought it and have given it a go. It is not my typical game and I am struggling to get past a bit with about 5 clickers (first one has his back to you). To be honest I am on the verge of sacking it but the love in on here might force me into one more go.

I have also bought witcher 3 - this thread is costing me a fortune emoji3.png

Disappointing lack of hitman games on the list. Always been an underrated below the radar franchise.

Is that the part in the subway? I made the mistake of accidentally chucking away a molotov cocktail before that which made it far more difficult than it should've been. Took me forever as a result. 

In conclusion, if you have a molotov cocktail, try to lure them all into the one area and get as many as possible with it. 

Also not to be picking when you've put so much effort into the thread Dindeleux, but I notice that list of points outwith the top 50 includes COD 4 with 10 points: it made it into the top 50 with 20 points did it not?

Thanks buddy you are indeed correct - it's a duplicate. Good spot no idea how I've needed up with 2. It is listed twice on both the overall sheet and my individual nominations/scoring sheet.

So Call Of Duty 4 actually got 30 points which leaves it in =20th position and effectively moves everything from 20th to 37th down 1 position.

1 hour ago, The OP said:

Is that the part in the subway? I made the mistake of accidentally chucking away a molotov cocktail before that which made it far more difficult than it should've been. Took me forever as a result. 

In conclusion, if you have a molotov cocktail, try to lure them all into the one area and get as many as possible with it. 

Nah I don't think that is the part he means, Its pretty early in the game and you're in and office block or something like that. one zombie standing facing away from you and another few milling about the area, pretty sure you don't have Molotov cocktails yet.

I think its the first run in with multiple zombies.

For me, the best way to play Skyrim is a stealth archer, the archery is quite satisfying when you get good at it. I presume you're on console so you can't disable the auto distance aim, but it's still fun. It's a bit hard early doors though, and leaves you a bit prone against bosses, so make sure you level up 1 handed attacks a bit too. Don't level up things like smithing and enchanting too much at the start, while easily done it'll mean you're too weak against enemies. Level up Sneak, archery and illusion magic. Use fury/frenzy spells if you can without alerting people, chop firewood to make arrows and get the backstab perks and a decent dagger for when you can sneak up on folk.
Destruction magic doesn't level up well past a certain level and 1 or 2 handed combat gets a bit boring, but sneaking up on folk or hitting great shots from miles away stays fun throughout the game imo.

I've sunk a lot of hours into Skyrim and I had no idea you could make your own arrows.

1 - GTA San Andreas

2 - International Superstar Soccer Pro (PS1)

3 - Call of Duty Black Ops 1

4 - Final Fantasy 7

5 - Timesplitters 2

6 - F1 98 (PS1)

7 - Rocket League

8 - Total Annihiliation (PC)

9 - Red Card (PS2)

10 - South Park - Stick of Truth

This was my list.  Basically couldn't decide on what order to do my top 4 so I await some slagging. 

As mentioned above I can't believe I forgot Twisted Metal and Vigilante 8!

2 hours ago, JamieT1314 said:

Nah I don't think that is the part he means, Its pretty early in the game and you're in and office block or something like that. one zombie standing facing away from you and another few milling about the area, pretty sure you don't have Molotov cocktails yet.

I think its the first run in with multiple zombies.

Ahh ok, the bit I'm talking about is just slightly further on I think. There's a combination of clickers and the runner types (I forget if that's the right name for them) but I really don't think it should've been as difficult as I made it if you can kill them with fire. 

I've gone back now and edited the top 3 voting figures, but here they are below:

Skyrim was voted by you as:

• 1 x 1st place

• 2 x 2nd place

• 7 x 3rd place

• 1 x 5th place

• 1 x 6th place

• 3 x 7th place

• 1 x 8th place

• 1 x 10th place

The Last Of Us was voted as:

·         6 x 1st place

• 1 x 2nd place

• 2 x 3rd place

• 1 x 4th place

• 2 x 5th place

• 3 x 6th place

• 1 x 9th place

Witcher 3 was voted as:

·         6 x 1st place 

• 2 x 2nd place

• 2 x 3rd place

• 1 x 5th place

• 1 x 8th place

• 2 x 10th place

Interesting that Skyrim only got 1 x 1st place vote but had by far the most individual votes.  

Just finished last of us remastered. It is indeed a great game, wouldn't have had it number 1 but it might have snuck into my top 10 if I'd known about it before the list started. cracking story and apparently a second one is on its way so happy days. 

On 1/5/2017 at 19:41, SramTon said:

[Talking about worst game ever]

World Cup Carnival. US Gold splurged all their money on the licence and couldn't afford to develop an actual game.

So they bought the rights to a rank rotten football game from Artic that had been released and sank without trace two years earlier, added a World Cup mode, changed team and player names, stuck it in a fancy box with some stickers and sold it for $15 (almost twice the price of Artic's original release).

On 1/6/2017 at 13:57, banana said:

Worked incredibly well AFAIR. I for one would linger longingly around that mass of shiny boxes in John Menzies as a wean.

It was an absolutely lovely box to be fair.   My initial memory of it is in Boots, back when they used to sell games.

For some reason (despite me telling her how bad the reviews were) my Mum actually bought me it once it went on sale after the World Cup had finished.  The tat inside (Mexico '86 wall-chart etc) wasn't much use by that point, but I got to personally experience just how bad the game itself (and how cynical the release) was.

Bit surprised, but pleased that Last of Us finished top despite being a PS exclusive.   Was my #2 choice (after Tetris).

Obviously benefited from being not only being the only game in the series, but also being by far the best of its class in that genre: if you were going to vote for a game like Last of Us, then you voted for Last of Us!

With few exceptions (Resident Evil and GTA), any games series with multiple contenders ended up taking away votes from itself.

The one I really struggled with was Civilization.  Definitely a series that deserved to have a game in the Top 50, but almost impossible to decide which one.   I see that Civ 1, 2 and 6 all got votes, presumably on the basis that 1 was the ground-breaking if flawed original, 2 (which got my vote) was the polished sequel, and 6 is the best in the series.

Mario is another that was very difficult to pick the best game and really deserved at least one entry much higher up the list.  I was sure that Mario 64 was going to make a late appearance, but nope.

I was on the verge of putting civ 5 in my list (actually thought I had, but didn't save my list anywhere) but there's something about it which doesn't seem like a computer game. I suppose it's a bit more like a board game in a way. Also it's as moreish as crack and feels more like an addiction than a game sometimes.

Archived