50 Greatest Games of all time - P&B decides

Dindeleux

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Possibly mate I'm at work which is the best time to get it done.  Don't want to release too many in one go and kill the chat.  Top 10 will be finished by the end of the year though and possibly a lot sooner.

Don't rush it. A couple of games a day is better and that'd wrap it up by the 31st.

Delighted to see Fallout 3 in the Top Ten, far superior to Fallout 4. Loved it.

Also:

"For on that fateful day, when fire rained from the sky, the giant steel door of Vault 101 slid closed... and never re-opened. It was here you were born. It is here you will die. Because in Vault 101, no-one ever enters... and no-one ever leaves."

Goosebumps, man. What a fucking game.

3 was the first I played. The moment you step out of the vault and your blinded by the sun, only to see the Capital Wasteland comes into view!

The DLC was pretty good as well, although not quite Old World Blues.

Which bit you at?

I'm really not into modern games really, but I thought Skyrim was absolutely incredible. Genuinely jealous of people starting it out for the first time.

I've just started playing it again for the first time in a few years. With my new GFX card and a bunch of mods it looks amazing :) I'd also forgotten a lot of the storyline and quests.

I'm literally just at the start. I'm sure I'll be able to work it out, seems like it's duelling factions trying to take over some territory with some magic thrown in. Had family hanging about last night when I started to play it which isn't the best when you're trying to make sense of it

Got a bit of a fright when that dragon appeared.

Should be a good game I've got high hopes.

I'm at the same part. It's only really just getting going :)

9 hours ago, NotThePars said:

Went back and played Fallout 3 and it's hilarious how hideous it looks. It hasn't aged well. It's still a damn funny and well written game though. The DLCs are generally not too bad either.

I don't think it's aged badly at all. Sure the graphics look a bit ropey these days, especially when compared to Fallout 4, but the gameplay is still superb.

If any of bethesdas games haven't aged well look no further than Morrowind or Oblivion.

Oblivion still looks clean though. But morrowind hurt my head trying to play it.

I don't think it's aged badly at all. Sure the graphics look a bit ropey these days, especially when compared to Fallout 4, but the gameplay is still superb.

I got a decent tv last christmas and had this on when I lived with my old flat mates and they couldn't stop laughing at the graphics. It's still really enjoyable though. I don't think there was a part of the game I didn't enjoy apart from maybe Mothership Zeta and it was a good challenge on the higher difficulties.

Went back and played Fallout 3 and it's hilarious how hideous it looks. It hasn't aged well. It's still a damn funny and well written game though. The DLCs are generally not too bad either.

Moddb is your friend

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

Its another game I'll probably go back to at some point, particularly if there are some decent graphics mods

9 games better than Fallout 3? This should be good

31 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Its another game I'll probably go back to at some point, particularly if there are some decent graphics mods

9 games better than Fallout 3? This should be good

I wouldn't have had Fallout 3 in my Top 10. If it was a Top 15 then probably

PIE AND BOVRIL 50 Greatest Games of All Time

9th place

Goldeneye

d5a43c6aa6a312992002aeec24f10fa2.jpg

For England, James!!

The best first person shooter ever. A game ahead of its time. Fantastic whether single or multiplayer.

Take your pick on the above statements or just agree that they are all true.

Goldeneye was released on the N64 back in 1997 and is based on the Bond film of the same title that was released a couple of years earlier. Developed by Rare you play as hero James Bond as he attempts to stop the evil Alec Trevelyan from taking down the global financial system.

Goldeneye is widely regarding as one of the best games of all time and, looking back, was certainly the best showcase of the N64s capabilities. The detail included in the game was amazing for its time and, whether you were a Bond fan or not, the various settings from the film transferred very well to make for a great game.

Goldeneye was one of the first games to really focus on stealth as well as weapon power to allow the player to achieve their aims. Similar to the films you had the choice between going in all guns blazing (not recommended) or meticulously picking off opponents and security cameras etc and working your way in slowly. This element was what made the game for me and surely games that followed (Metal Gear Solid for example) had to have taken some notice of how this worked and looked to build it into future games.

Bonds gadgets were also available and had to be used during the game. As a 13 year old when I played this I found the gadgets provided in the films to be a real source of excitement and to be able to use these in the game - and plan how to use them - was very satisfying.

Goldeneye is viewed as a cult game and sold 8 million copies first time around. A remastered version was rolled out a few years ago but I'm not sure how it played. The original game won numerous awards and is named often as one of the most important games ever due to the change in style it was able to display.

Goldeneye was rated as a minimum 9/10 by critics with many giving it a perfect 10/10 score. You guys awarded it 64 points and voted it as:

2 x 1st place

2 x 2nd place

2 x 3rd place

1 x 5th place

2 x 9th place

That it remained the best multiplayer game for so many years was a testament to it. I didn't list it as it has been usurped now but it took at least 10 years for the likes of COD4 and Team Fortress 2 to push it aside from that title.

Just loved it when I was a kid. Got it for Christmas at the same time as getting an Abba cd. Now every time I hear Abba I instantly think of Goldeneye. So many great bits to the game from jumping on a goon in the toilet, to escaping to the runway by using the conveyer belt, two guns at one time. Some really great detailed levels, but the multiplayer was fantastic. Particularly enjoyed the golden gun element to the multiplayer. Friendships made during those times, and some lost (basically anyone who picked oddjob in multiplayer).

I lost the game sadly, but when I was down in Leeds one of my colleagues down there still had it so went to his house a couple of times and we played the game. In one sense it looked really dated but due to the nostalgia of it I really enjoyed playing it again.

Archived