50 Greatest Games of all time - P&B decides

Dindeleux

11 hours ago, Dindeleux said:

Its the same game.  I am right.

Whilst I am here can I ask if anyone else ever had this football game?  For early 90s and Mega Drive it was very good and, until now, I always thought it was a Konami make as the gameplay seemed similar to ISS.    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Club_Soccer

I loved it as well, especially when you took it around the goalkeeper, shot into the open net then the goalkeeper would clip back onto the line to save it. Due to that happening frequently, the vast majority of the goals I scored were walked into the net.

As for PES 6, f**k no. That was where it all started to go downhill. It was nowhere near as bad as 2008 of course, but it didn't come within a million miles of being as good as any PES game that came before it. Random selection was a great introduction but that's literally the only good thing I have to say about it: the gameplay was a massive step backwards on 5. It wouldn't even get in my top 10 football games, never mind my top 10 games.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

if memory serves me right, it cost as much for DKC back then as it does for a new release title nowadays, it was a fantastic game but rare ripped the arse right out of the price

I don't recall DKC being expensive but I think DK64 was pricey as it included the expansion pack to allow it to be played

12 hours ago, Dindeleux said:

PIE AND BOVRIL - 50 GREATEST GAMES OF ALL TIME

=48 Place

Command & Conquer - Red Alert  Image result for command and conquer red alert

Yep you guessed it - haven't played it :( Hoping that no-one expected me to have played every game on this list.  

I actually had hoped that one of the earlier C&C games for the N64 had came up as the picture of the cartridge once again gives you that nostalgia trip.  However I can talk about Command and Conquer in general as they were very popular games and it seemed as if they released hundreds of different versions.

Command & Conquer was one of the earliest, and best, strategy type games.  The objective was, believe it or not, to command your various resources and artillery to conquer the opposition forces.  

I don't really think I got it at my young age but the whole process of building your base, assigning resources and looking to create an army to destroy the enemy was always interesting and probably helped to create my interest in games such as Civilisation that followed on (although a slightly different genre).

C&C Red Alert was one of the first ever online games on Console.  I wasn't aware of this but I read online that it came with 2 discs so you could give one to a friend and play against each other.  Not sure if that was 100% true so perhaps someone could confirm.

I don't have figures as to how many copies it sold but it also picked up 17 P+B points, placings were:

• 1 x 1st place
  • 1 x 7th place
  • 1 x 8th place

This was close to being higher as I was close to including. I ended up stumping for C&C Tiberian Sunwhich I personally preferred.

9 hours ago, LoonsYouthTeam said:

Pro Evo 6 is definitely my favourite out of the whole series and my favourite non FM football game.

Despite having a PS4 me and my mate still meet up regularly to play Pro Evo 6 on the PS2.

I can still remember me very first game of it I played. One of the guys at Uni who fancied himself as a brilliant player (in fairness he was really good) invited a few of us round and told us it'd take a while to get used to it. We played a game of Random Selection using the English Premier league and I won 3-2 courtesy of a Jason Euell hat trick! The random selection matches were fantastic. Nothing like beating somebody who had a team full of Ronaldos or the like with your team of huddies

There were IIRC two versions of Pro Ev 6.

The best football game I've ever played was Pro Ev 5 on the PS2 and original Xbox. Pro Ev 6 came out in two versions - a next-gen one for the Xbox 360 and PS3 and an updated version of Pro Ev 5 for the PS2 and original Xbox.

I never played the PS2 / original Xbox version but the one for the Xbox 360 was utterly shite.

Also - if anyone pronounced it "Pes" (as in rhymes with "Fez") then they are an arsehole.

=39 Place

Timesplitters 2 

So after a wee run where I had played a few games I'm now back in the dark zone where I have zero experience of this game.  I don't even know what genre this game is as I had genuinely never heard of it until it appeared on a few peoples lists.  Must be a good game though to have ranked above our list so far and the other 200 games that didn't make the top 50.

Timesplitters 2 was published by Eidos Games back in 2002 for the Playstation 2.   The game features a single-player mode consisting of ten levels in which the player assumes the role of one of two space marines as they attempt to stop the alien race of TimeSplitters from ruining history by collecting the time crystals in various time periods, ranging from the Wild West to the 25th century.

It is, quite surprisingly the sequel to Timesplitters :) .

The game was very very well received by critics and scored around 9/10 from most reviewers. 

Please can some of those who voted come and talk about this game as I know nothing.  Timesplitters 2 picked up 19 points which was broken down as:

• 1 x 3rd place
  • 1 x 5th place
  • 1 x 6th place

Timesplitters 2 Story was straight to the point, you were an agent who would blend into whatever settlement you traveled too. 

For me, Arcade mode was fun, whilst it was online compatible and had 4 player multiplayer, it was just as fun going into a team deathmatch against the computer, make your own map and have fun. 

=39 Place

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater 

Our first entry in the Metal Gear series but I'm pretty sure it won't be the last.  I was a huge fan of the original two games but for some reason this one seems to have eluded me.

MGS 3, like the previous incarnations, based its gameplay around avoidance, skill and decision making.  It was key that you picked your spots to engage with enemies very well - step out and be spotted and you were in deep DEEP trouble.

MGS 3 was set primarly outside in a Russian rainforest and, based on what I've read online, this was a major plus point for the game and how it felt for the player as you were able to use your surroundings very well and camouflage in to avoid detection.  The screenshots I've had a look at certainly look very good for PS2 times.  The final battle with the boss, The End, was epic and quite time consuming I believe (although I fail to see how any game could take me longer than it did to complete the final part of the original Metal Gear Solid).

Whilst researching (wiki) I've read that the game was originally planned for the PS3 but eventually had to be released for PS2 due to how long the third PS was taking to create.

Scoring 19 points with P+B and averaging over a 9/10 with most reviewers the game has won a raft of awards,  The game sold over 3.5 million copies and was rated by you lot as:

• 2 x 6 place
  • 1 x 5 place
  • 1 x 9 place

Snake eater was fantastic and the main theme song is brilliant. I liked how it began with an infiltration mission before the main game actually began. The bosses were good too in terms of character and gameplay.

The End was the old guy sniper in the forest and if you saved the game, turned it off and switched the clock on your PS forward x amount of time and loaded it back up, you would find him dead of old age. Or you could kill him before then by sniper in his wheelchair outside of some building. OR do the sniper fight against him which was so much fun.

5 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Snake eater was fantastic and the main theme song is brilliant. I liked how it began with an infiltration mission before the main game actually began. The bosses were good too in terms of character and gameplay.

The End was the old guy sniper in the forest and if you saved the game, turned it off and switched the clock on your PS forward x amount of time and loaded it back up, you would find him dead of old age. Or you could kill him before then by sniper in his wheelchair outside of some building. OR do the sniper fight against him which was so much fun.

I never actually knew about the end dying through old age if you didn't play the game, I got up to him, saved the game and left it for 2 weeks because i was away on holiday. 

Came back prepared for the fight and found out he was dead. was seething with myself. 

Surprised MGS3 isn't higher tbf; pretty much every aspect of it was the refined game details of the two MGS's previously combined. Cinematics, Graphics, Gameplay, Storyline; it had everything. Provided very good foundations for the entire story arch as well. Shame that the Boss is still to date a very under used character, she's one of the most interesting in the entire series. 

MGS is a series I love despite not playing it in its entirety.  I've never played the first (I know, heresy) but joined in for the 2nd.  Wonderful game even though it takes a turn for the absolutely baffling right around the time you end up on Arsenal Gear.  Didn't get 4 as I didn't have a PS3, but joined back in for Phantom Pain, which I loved.

I probably spent the most time on Snake Eater though.  Kojima might be a crazy fucker, but he knows the MGS formula.  It was a lot more grounded too story-wise - unless I'm mis-remembering, I don't think there were any times the story took as wild a swing as 2 did.  A few great set pieces, and as others have said the boss battles are numerous and really well thought out.  As far as I know each of them had a little trick that meant you either didn't need to do it, or could win extremely quickly ( The Fear could be poisoned or set on fire with careful use of the death pill, The End can die of old age etc).  Brilliant stuff.

I should have put Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain on my list ahead of Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (I'm replaying it just now after downloading the remastered version and it's not as good as I remember it). From a pure gameplay perspective, The Phantom Pain is the very best I've ever played - it's tremendous fun and I love how there's multiple ways to complete missions. I remember spending ages trying to complete one of the side missions, rescuing a hostage from an enemy base, and trying to take out every guard one by one through stealth.

The only downside to it was the storyline. I didn't find it gripping and the failure to resolve the conflict with young Eli left me scratching my head.

1 hour ago, SweeperDee said:

Surprised MGS3 isn't higher tbf; pretty much every aspect of it was the refined game details of the two MGS's previously combined. Cinematics, Graphics, Gameplay, Storyline; it had everything. Provided very good foundations for the entire story arch as well. Shame that the Boss is still to date a very under used character, she's one of the most interesting in the entire series. 

That ladder though

Archived