50 Greatest Games of all time - P&B decides

Dindeleux

54 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

All votes are in and counted, I'm still not having the best time regarding internet at home so will start posting results a bit later today when I am at (section removed in case Grimbo or 8Magee are reading).

There are going to be a few surprises.

Shenanigan-based recount demand incoming if Dota 2 hasn't cracked the top 10.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It will be interesting to see how many modern games get into the top 50. Maybe it's just because I don't play anywhere near the number of games I did when I was at school but I feel like modern games aren't as good as old ones. Skyrim was amazing but that's probably the only fairly recent game to really hold my attention. But then if I wasn't working full time and dealing with the bairn maybe I would have had more time to get into games and would prefer recent ones.

16 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Super Monaco GP was great as well, but once you got successful (for some reason the second top team was always better to go than the top team) a new guy would challenge you and always win and was almost impossible to beat (in a challenge the winner swaps teams with the loser). Fair had me fuming a few times

Ceara.  Who if i remember right bore a striking resemblance to a certain Brazilian F1 driver.  It was impossible to catch him and you ended up losing your car.  I remember being literally on the verge of tears trying to beat him.  Once you lost your motor and changed teams you could challenge him again though.

It will be interesting to see how many modern games get into the top 50. Maybe it's just because I don't play anywhere near the number of games I did when I was at school but I feel like modern games aren't as good as old ones. Skyrim was amazing but that's probably the only fairly recent game to really hold my attention. But then if I wasn't working full time and dealing with the bairn maybe I would have had more time to get into games and would prefer recent ones.

I thought the same thing before writing my own list but as I wrote it I realised that some of those earlier games, whilst good at the time, probably didn't quite entertain me as much as I remembered. I thought long and hard about putting Duck Hunt on my list, for example, as nostalgic wise I thought it was great.

I think I had two pre-2000 games on my list and only 1 of these has made the top 50.

What is this DOTA? I've never played it. What does DOTA even stand for?

ETA - Id be keen to know what DOTA is too.

7 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Ceara.  Who if i remember right bore a striking resemblance to a certain Brazilian F1 driver.  It was impossible to catch him and you ended up losing your car.  I remember being literally on the verge of tears trying to beat him.  Once you lost your motor and changed teams you could challenge him again though.

Aye that's it. I mind challenging him once I lost but never being able to beat him. Seething.

DOTA means 'Defense of the Ancients', which was a Warcraft III mod.

Valve made their own standalone game based on it and called it DOTA 2, because calling it 'Defense of the Ancients 2' probably wouldn't have been allowed, as they don't own (and, I'd imagine, wouldn't be allowed to copyright) the original title. So, DOTA 2 technically means hee-haw.

Can't say I've ever played either of them. I'd imagine it's some kind of hat wearing simulator, like Valve's other big IP, Team Fortress 2.

33 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

DOTA means 'Defense of the Ancients', which was a Warcraft III mod.

Valve made their own standalone game based on it and called it DOTA 2, because calling it 'Defense of the Ancients 2' probably wouldn't have been allowed, as they don't own (and, I'd imagine, wouldn't be allowed to copyright) the original title. So, DOTA 2 technically means hee-haw.

Can't say I've ever played either of them. I'd imagine it's some kind of hat wearing simulator, like Valve's other big IP, Team Fortress 2.

If a free to play RTS makes the top 10, I will literally kill myself*

* not literally

16 minutes ago, Mr X said:

If a free to play RTS makes the top 10, I will literally kill myself*

* not literally

'Sakes X - so far you're closing the forum when the Witcher makes the top then killing yourself afterwards?  You've got a busy time planned.

#prayformrx

8 hours ago, forameus said:

It's not FIFA, but reminds me of a football game that had a ridiculous gameplay mechanic.  Might get the name wrong, but "Manchester United Double Double" or something.  You could dribble up to the keeper one on one, and then every single time push back and watch the keeper dive helplessly where the ball used to be.  Then just run around him and score.  Looking back, pretty much every goal was me doing that.  I clearly didn't value fun then.

The best FIFA title was always FIFA International Soccer though.  Van Smeiter was the boy.  

Manchester United In Europe, which was essentially a re-skinned European Club Soccer.

The fact that Dota 2, the world's greatest and most cash rich E-sport, remains free to play is yet another notch towards GOAT status on this list.

There's yer bite. 8)

PIE AND BOVRIL - 50 GREATEST GAMES OF ALL TIME

=50 Place

SHENMUE

Image result for shenmue

So my worst fears about running this list have been realised...........what if some of the games that pop up I have never heard of and have no clue about?  Well that has happened straight away.

I know nothing about Shenmue so I will ask the esteemed members of this forum to post some personal thoughts, here is what I've copied and pasted from Wiki:

Shenmue was an open world game that was created by Sega for their Dreamcast console (I'd love for some Dreamcast owners to come and talk about how good/bad it was - my memories are that it was quite a groundbreaking console for the time). My assumption based on the artwork is that it is a Japanese title or off the back of a previous Far East title.

From the Wiki page Shenmue sold over 1.2 million copies worldwide but is still classed as a commercial failure as it lost money overall.

Shenmue picked up 16 points in our poll and was voted as:

• 1 x 1st place
  • 1 x 5th place

27 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Manchester United In Europe, which was essentially a re-skinned European Club Soccer.

Well what do you know! I was just doing a bit of reading about this to find that Manchester United Europe (there was no 'in') was released first. You learn something new every day!

Archived