50 Greatest Games of all time - P&B decides

Dindeleux

Haven't seen a "top x" thread for a while on here and certainly not on this section of the forum so I thought I'd run one.

We all love gaming and there have been numerous different opinions shared at times as to what the best game of a particular genre is. As always with Pie and Bovril you're guaranteed some good variety and discussion.

So.......can everyone drop me a PM of your top 10 favourite games in order of preference. Number 1 being your favourite game down to number 10 being the least favourite of your "favourite ever" games.

I'm going to give a fair bit of time for people to see this thread so voting will stay open until 12pm (Noon) on Monday 5th December and I will look to post one or two results per day starting a couple of days after that.

Some games I will have not personal knowledge of so I will gleam Wikipedia and various sites for information. Can I just ask that you are clear on the version of the game (GTA or GTA4) and also if it's a really obscure choice or something pre-Sega Master System that you name the console the game was out on.

I'll await your votes.

Cheers

List so far is                                                           Points

Sensible Soccer 40
Mass Effect 40
Bioshock 39
Unchartered 2 Among Thieves 32
Mario Kart 31
Resident Evil 2 30
DOTA 2 30
Zelda Link to the Past  30
Knights of the Old Republic 27
Batman Arkham City 27
Final Fantasy 8 27
Tetris  26
Fallout New Vegas 25
Halo 3 24
Pokemon Blue 23
Gears of War 23
Half Life 2 23
The Secret of Monkey Island 23
Dragon Age Origins 22
Batman Arkham Asylum 22
Resident Evil  21
Hitman Blood Money 21
COD 4 20
Mass Effect 2 20
MGS3 Snake Eater 19
Timesplitters 2 19
Rocket League  18
Street Fighter 2 18
PES 6 17
CTR 17
C&C Red Alert 17
Donkey Cong Country 17
Super Mario Brothers 3 17
Sonic The Hedgehog 2 17
Elder Scrolls Oblivion 17
Super Mario Brothers 16
Resident Evil 3 16
Half Life 16
ISS Pro (PS1) 16
Shenmue 16

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Great idea :)

Incredibly hard thing to do though. I mean how highly do you rate something like FM, which Ive spent so many hours on over the years against a classic like Shenmue.

Aarrgh!

I've found the FM games incredibly bloated for years now. Nothing will come close to CM 01/02.

1 hour ago, Dindeleux said:

Haven't seen a "top x" thread for a while on here and certainly not on this section of the forum so I thought I'd run one.

We all love gaming and there have been numerous different opinions shared at times as to what the best game of a particular genre is. As always with Pie and Bovril you're guaranteed some good variety and discussion.

So.......can everyone drop me a PM of your top 10 favourite games in order of preference. Number 1 being your favourite game down to number 10 being the least favourite of your "favourite ever" games.

I'm going to give a fair bit of time for people to see this thread so voting will stay open until 12pm (Noon) on Monday 5th December and I will look to post one or two results per day starting a couple of days after that.

Some games I will have not personal knowledge of so I will gleam Wikipedia and various sites for information. Can I just ask that you are clear on the version of the game (GTA or GTA4) and also if it's a really obscure choice or something pre-Sega Master System that you name the console the game was out on.

I'll await your votes.

Cheers

Think there was one a few years ago. My own personal top 10 has changed quite considerably since the last time I voted so this is as good a time as any to do so.

Also, as a wee idea, in these types of things, I enjoy adding reasoning my choices. Would be nice when you do your countdown if you could copy and paste some member comments on certain games that encapsulate why they love them. :)

1. Super Mario Brothers 

2. Call of Duty - United Offensive

3. Mario Kart

4. Sensible Soccer

5. Goldeneye

6. Treasure Island Dizzy

7. PES 6.

8. FIFA 98 RTTWC

9. Target Renegade

10. Tekken 3

Maybe not the most groundbreaking or fantastic games but the games I've spent the most time on. Would happily play any of them today for hours.

Also loved speedball 2, ik+, forza, Colin mccrae, Zelda, road rash, golden axe...

Great idea [emoji4]

Incredibly hard thing to do though. I mean how highly do you rate something like FM, which Ive spent so many hours on over the years against a classic like Shenmue.

Aarrgh!

Just on this topic guys there will be various votes for different types of the same game which I will be counting separate - until such times that it's clear I need to bundle them together to get correct results. I'd prefer it if you could name the exact game you refer to - so FIFA 95, Champ Man 01/02 etc.

If I was to receive say 20 votes for 10 different years of FM then I may be forced to bundle them together as "Football Manager" but my preference would be to avoid this.

By the same (or opposite I suppose) way of think I would NOT bundle together a game series........so if I get 5 votes for Fallout 3 and 5 for Fallout 4 these will be counted individually.

Hope that makes sense - and if I'm struggling to work out whether to place together or not I will come and ask you for your opinions.

Great idea [emoji4]

Aarrgh!

Missed out Shenmue. f**k.

Didn't include FM. Tried to include games that I spent a lot of time on. Few nods that won't make the final list but that I loved included Tenchu: Stealth Assassins and Nightmare Creatures. Both ps1 underrated and dated classics.

Probably a good idea for people to mention some games that will/may make their list to help jog other people's memories.

I'm struggling to decide if Syphon Filter from PS1 (or was it PS2?) will make my list.

I'm trying to whittle my list down from 20-odd just now, and wondering if I've missed any Final Fantasy games for a start. I'm also unsure about how many NES games will make the cut, as so far I have Legend of Zelda, Duck Hunt and the original Mario Bros in my shortlist.

I don't think Chucky Egg will make the final 10, somehow!

If I keep it in, then I doubt Secret of Mana will appear on many lists. I may have to play it on an emulator again though.

• 10. Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
  • 9. Spelunky
  • 8. Bioshock 
  • 7. Thief: The Dark Project
  • 6. Dishonored
  • 5. The Pinball Arcade
  • 4. Dark Souls
  • 3. Final Fantasy VII
  • 2. Rocket League
  • 1. Dota 2

Can you copy this into a PM for me so I don't miss it.

Don't think much on my shortlist is coming from before N64 era.Some games I adore like Super Method, Castlevania, Yoshis Island and the original Mario Kart but I never feel the urge to go back and do them all over. Games of quality nowadays are driven largely by narrative for me and the majority of my top 10 will reflect this.

A shortlist of my all-time favourite games, attempted in chronological order:

• Sonic 2
  • Zelda: A Link to the Past
  • Super Mario Kart
  • Wipeout 3: Special Edition
  • GTA: Vice City
  • Half Life 2
  • Shadow of the Colossus
  • FTL: Faster than Light
  • Spelunky
  • The Last of Us
  • Rainbow Six: Siege

1. Descent 2
2. Metal Gear Solid
3. Golden Eye
4. Battlefield 42
5. Fifa 97
6. Championship Manager 99
7. Silent Hill 2
8. Arma 3
9. The Last of Us
10. Cod MW2

Honourable mentions:

Operation Flashpoint, cold war crisis
METRO 2033
Gta San Andreas
Siphon filter
Dayz
Outlast
Super Mario 3
Legend of Zelda: A link to the past

Hard to decide which is more worthy of inclusion. Console single players with incredible stories like The Last of Us or Bioshock or whether to go for multiplayer online titles I spent literal years on like Halo and CoD. Or even the PC Grand Strategy or 4X titles like Civ and Crusader Kings. Glad this is up for a week and a bit to give me proper time to think.

Archived