Losing at life - The P&B Definition

sjc

The term "losing at life" is bandied about a fair bit on this forum (particularly by vT) and it got me thinking how this could be determined on an anonymous forum? Even if it were, what would the parameters be?

• Financial status?
  • Job title and earnings? 
  • Chatel ownership? Houses, cars etc
  • Education? Phd, Degree, University of lifer
  • Intelligence? Common sense
  • Political views? 
  • Football team and how successful they are?
  • General happiness?
  • Health?
  • Looks?
  • Relationship status?
  • P&B Status? Popularity/Reputation?

Is there anything else that should be considered towards a Poster being deemed one of lifes losers on P&B or perhaps the term is just used as a put down because of a general dislike for the recipient and the need for the accuser to feel superior?

Personally, I have no great interest in peoples life "status" much like Posters popularity or reputations but it clearly does to some and I'd be interested to hear what the P&B masses think....

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Bobby Skidmarks said:

It's usually aimed at the middle aged 'university of lifers' who spent their time on here drunk, so they can avoid their wives and be overly familiar to the female posters on here.

I'd start there.

That's one thing I don't get, why does their lack of a university education come into it, Bobby? I dare say there's a few of the above types on here that do have degree certificates.

That's one thing I don't get, why does their lack of a university education come into it, Bobby? I dare say there's a few of the above types on here that do have degree certificates.

I don't have a problem with people high school educated, I was using a VT term.

Fwiw those "losing at life" are those who have never fulfilled their potential IMO.

It varies per person, obviously.

ETA: IMO

Just now, Bobby Skidmarks said:

I don't have a problem with people high school educated, I was using a VT term.

Fwiw those "losing at life" are those who have never fulfilled their potential. It varies per person.

I agree that it varies from person to person but who realistically fulfills their potential in every aspect of their life? By that definition we'd all be losing at life imo.

2 minutes ago, banana said:

Internet forum posters in general hounding specific other posters about them 'losing at life', is losing at life.

This is almost word for word what I was going to write.

So I won't bother.

I agree that it varies from person to person but who realistically fulfills their potential in every aspect of their life? By that definition we'd all be losing at life imo.

It's quite a deep conversation considering I'm only up this early because my body clock is fucked after a shift change.

It's nothing to do with education obtained, it's people with the "what do they really know?", and "I learnt at the university of hard knocks" attitude that's the issue. Believing that they have some form of superiority and knowledge over those who gained higher education because labouring in some bin in the snow in Drumchapel gave them 'experience' and 'real smarts' and 'hardened them up', "not like those damn soft students who just have 'book smarts', and don't even pay taxes. What're they going to do with 'book smarts' anyway?", etc.

A bit like the PFM descriptions on football365, a proper "university of lifer" will have a giant chip on their shoulder about intelligence and 'opportunity' (as if they weren't provided the exact same), will be incredibly ignorant, and will almost certainly be mildly xenophobic, if not a complete bigot. Not having a degree doesn't automatically make you a University of Lifer. Not having a degree and being a complete fucking arsehole does.

37 minutes ago, J_Stewart said:

It's nothing to do with education obtained, it's people with the "what do they really know?", and "I learnt at the university of hard knocks" attitude that's the issue. Believing that they have some form of superiority and knowledge over those who gained higher education because labouring in some bin in the snow in Drumchapel gave them 'experience' and 'real smarts' and 'hardened them up', "not like those damn soft students who just have 'book smarts', and don't even pay taxes. What're they going to do with 'book smarts' anyway?", etc.

A bit like the PFM descriptions on football365, a proper "university of lifer" will have a giant chip on their shoulder about intelligence and 'opportunity' (as if they weren't provided the exact same), will be incredibly ignorant, and will almost certainly be mildly xenophobic, if not a complete bigot. Not having a degree doesn't automatically make you a University of Lifer. Not having a degree and being a complete fucking arsehole does.

I know the type you talk of but that said, I know just as many smart ass graduates that come out of uni with the attitude of "I know it all now" when generally their "industry" skills are non existent. This sneering attitude in many cases follows them throughout their career.

Both as bad as each other imo.

3 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Grown men are actually having an in depth discussion over what the definition of "losing at life" is on a football forum.

f**k me.

Defining parameters of such phrases is paramount otherwise it's rendered as just empty rhetoric.

This is serious business.

I think if you try to judge yourself against others that you are on to a loser, it's like top trumps, you can always win at something but equally you can lose. 

I assume most of us set life goals about where we want to be at certain ages, you know like at what age to have a family, be mortgage free, what kind of car or job/salary, holiday destinations etc, I suppose living up to life's expectations. 

Then there's the soul goals, which to me is about the things that are more individual like your own self, is it worth or being, wish I'd gone to university then maybe I could answer that. Just kidding, my philosophy is what you never had you never miss. I wake up each morning & ask myself am I happy & what am I going to do to achieve it? 

Today for instance, going to the football will make me feel happy, if we were to win even happier, if we lose then I can go to the pub & moan about it with me mates, still end up laughing. Now having said that I already know I won't be going to St Mirren cos it's already been called off, so I've put a contingency plan in place, Bonnyrigg Rose, if that's off then I'll armchair the Man City game & arrange to meet the lads down the pub afterwards. Coping strategies.

I suppose it's all about where you've come from & where you've got to & having a laugh along the way. 

Grimbo 

I know the type you talk of but that said, I know just as many smart ass graduates that come out of uni with the attitude of "I know it all now" when generally their "industry" skills are non existent. This sneering attitude in many cases follows them throughout their career.

Both as bad as each other imo.

Completely agree. Arseholes gonna arsehole regardless of their education or job.

Grown men are actually having an in depth discussion over what the definition of "losing at life" is on a football forum.

f**k me.

Having to share pints with your friends is a pretty good indicator of "losing at life", IMO.

I don't even think you Need to fulfil your potential in life so long as you are happy with yourself and who you are and can live the life you want. You are a loser if you try and bring others down and go out your way to harm others, be it at the work place or what ever.

2 hours ago, J_Stewart said:

Yip, I know quite a few arseholes who think that living in Montrose all their life, working in the same factory for 20 years, marrying the first bird that would suck their cock and having a week in Benidorm every couple of years gives them more life experience than someone studying Law or Medicine.

They're always keen to point out that "mummy and daddy" didn't pay for their education, as if parents providing for their kids is something to be ashamed of.

Archived