Shift Work

Scary Bear

What's that all about? I've never worked different shifts in my life. It's always been your standard 7.5 hour, Monday to Friday jobs.

People often talk about working shifts on here, but they rarely mention which sector they work in or what their actual job is.

So, if you do work shifts, what sector do you work in (or company, if you're comfortable naming names) and what's your job title?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Healthcare. 42 hour contract. 13 hour days, 4 shifts one week, 3 the next. The three day weeks always come with a weekend off. I'm now a charge nurse and on permanent day shift. My work is less than 10 minutes from my home. 

Last job was night nurse, 10.5 hour shifts, 5 on 5 off. Only really good when you got two weekends off in a row or when your set finishes on a Monday morning and driving home the opposite way from the traffic but it could take me half an hour to get home.

9 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

What's that all about? I've never worked different shifts in my life. It's always been your standard 7.5 hour, Monday to Friday jobs.

People often talk about working shifts on here, but they rarely mention which sector they work in or what their actual job is.

So, if you do work shifts, what sector do you work in (or company, if you're comfortable naming names) and what's your job title?

Couldn't do it.

Healthcare. 42 hour contract. 13 hour days, 4 shifts one week, 3 the next. The three day weeks always come with a weekend off. I'm now a charge nurse and on permanent day shift. My work is less than 10 minutes from my home. 

Last job was night nurse, 10.5 hour shifts, 5 on 5 off. Only really good when you got two weekends off in a row or when your set finishes on a Monday morning and driving home the opposite way from the traffic but it could take me half an hour to get home.

Are those all day shifts together or are they a mix of day and night shifts?

15 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Why? What is your norm?

It's tedium personified to me.

I've not really been in grafting mode in recent years, the most I do is 5 hours in a day, can't see myself upping it in the future IIBH.

I've worked at night for most of my adult life, I used to skip out the door and sit in a taxi 80 or 90 hours a week, used to class myself as a lazy b*****d when I was in a 40-60 hour pw phase, used to squeeze in a 14 and a 24 hour shift at the weekends when I was at uni, that was a fucked up sleep routine.

24 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Are those all day shifts together or are they a mix of day and night shifts?

I'm permanent day shift now and I do the three one after the other but the four are spread through the week.

My night shifts were a run of five in my last job. 

I'm 12 hour shifts 7-7 night and day. Shifts change on a 3 week rota. I work in the packaging industry.

At the moment, because we're busy, I'm 2 nights and 2 days this week, 3 days next week and 3 nights the week after. During the quiet periods the shifts change and I get a week off every three.

I'm also on rostered hours - I need to do 142 shifts in a year. If I take a 'holiday' I need to work that back. Anything over and above that, I am paid single time at the end of the year.

I don't like it but the money is good and I get at least one day off a week. When I'm nights I take my son to school and then pick him up, so I get to see him more than I do when I'm dayshift.

Auto spark with the council, work 38 hr week constant nightshift (10 hr shift from 10pm to 8am including a 1/2 hour dinner break at 3 in the morning). Start on a Monday night and finish on a Friday morning every week, so plenty of time to do stuff during the days on a Monday especially. I've worked every combination of rotating shifts going over the years and much prefer doing the same shift constant. Would hate to be constant days, traffic is much easier at night and there are too many idiots and managers on days in my place.

Now it's Mon-Thurs 8-4.30 Fri 8-3 wouldn't have it any other way. Have probably worked just 20 hrs overtime in the last 10 years, as opposed to 60-80 hrs a week the previous 20 years. Made shit loads of money in that time, but couldn't be arsed to do it now. Happy days

I work for a transcription services company 

My shifts can basically be anything, this month for example:

11-7 Mon-Fri

1-9 Mon-Fri

3-11 Mon Fri

7-3 Mon-Fri

Big fan of that 11-7 shift. 

been doing shift work for the last 21 years, much prefer it to mon-fri dayshifts. being off during the week can mean you avoid the crowds in a variety of things, shifts also mean you can avoid social commitments like weddings you cant be arsed going to.weekends on are pisser during the footy season though

Did various shifts working in electronics.

BEN was the worst.

Backshift, early shift, nightshift on rotation.

Backshift was 2-10pm, finishing Friday, which was shite. Earlies was 6am-2pm, hard to get up for the first few days then onto nights 10pm-6am it meant starting on 10pm on Sunday. The weekend was ruined, if you weren't working overtime.

Also the pay was crazy, on a normal dayshift you got around a third of working a nightshift week with overtime.

After a few years I found coming off nights the best thing was finishing on Friday morning and staying up to 10pm which meant being up for 24 hours. On Sundays I used to sleep from sat night to 4pm. 

Utterly pish all round, f**k ever doing that again. Not worth the money. End result is you become a zombie who does nothing, I lost contact with friends and put on two stone.

Edit to add, I did enjoy a short spell of working constant nights. Four twelve hour shifts that involved getting all the work done in two hours and hiding somewhere sleeping or surfing. Was getting over £30k to work eight hours a week and able to play golf or do whatever during the day.

9 hours ago, Lisa Cuddy said:

Are you not easier walking to work if it's less than 10 minutes away or is the route there not practical?

8 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Auto spark with the council, work 38 hr week constant nightshift (10 hr shift from 10pm to 8am including a 1/2 hour dinner break at 3 in the morning). Start on a Monday night and finish on a Friday morning every week, so plenty of time to do stuff during the days on a Monday especially. I've worked every combination of rotating shifts going over the years and much prefer doing the same shift constant. Would hate to be constant days, traffic is much easier at night and there are too many idiots and managers on days in my place.

I used to wonder on nights why nobody higher up didn't suss that the places ran as smoothly without all the clipboard wankers or so called support staff during days who bascially just played politics all day or went in meetings discussing utter shite rather than fixing things.

2 hours ago, supermik said:

Are you not easier walking to work if it's less than 10 minutes away or is the route there not practical?

I'm far too lazy, it's far too cold just now and I have to drop the kids with their dad some mornings. No chance I'm walking! 

Also, I work in Bridgeton and stay in Tollcross. The route isn't one I'd want to walk on my own at those times of the night or morning. 

I've done a couple of variations of nightshifts and backshifts over the last 6 months. The silence can be great. Nobody bothers me and I go at my own pace without anyone stepping on my toes. The extra money definitely helps in saving for a house deposit. Especially when you're working weekends, it keeps you honest.

Nightshifts 9-7 Monday to Thursday.

Nightshifts 4 on, 4 off 8.30-7

Archived