Rangers Songs

Just now, Killie Zenit said:

:lol: I guess you've just been responding to severe provocation all that time, in that case.

No but rangers links to unionism , loyalism and Protestantism were certainly as a direct effect to that situation . Rangers to begin with where no more Protestant than say Queen's Park or Clyde 

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Der Kaiser said:

Right - that's what I've heard a lot of people say.

What I'm getting at is that the establishment were tapping into something which was already nascent: "getting it up the kaffliks" as you say. Through their misadventures in NI they whipped up a grievance amongst Rangers fans against Irish nationalism - a grievance which would also be fuelled against Scottish nationalism as and when required - and any other challenge to the British establishment for that matter.

They've gone from flat caps and an antagonism towards Catholics to this ridiculous scene now where you have alcoholic wife beaters obsessed with 17th century Irish politics, North Korean style military parades in the pitch before games, manic hatred of Irish and Scottish nationalist politicians and men performing Nazi salutes whilst wearing poppies.

It's been a 40 year journey and, IMO, it's been controlled and stoked by the British establishment in the same way that any other mass-group hysteria is. I don't accept it can simply be dismissed as a self-perpetuating snowball effect.

So you have yet to explain how the establishment have tapped into and what it has gained from doing so, or how they have actually perpetuated it. Unless you are saying that the government deployed troops to Northern Ireland in order to get GSTQ sung at Ibrox. 

There are numerous possible reasons such as Scotland, and the UK in general, having a long history of anti-Catholicism, mass Irish immigration to the West coast, the economic decline of Glasgow in the late 20th Century, the rise of Scottish nationalism, a re invigoration of the political right wing across europe, the list goes on.

So you have yet to explain how the establishment have tapped into and what it has gained from doing so, or how they have actually perpetuated it. Unless you are saying that the government deployed troops to Northern Ireland in order to get GSTQ sung at Ibrox. 

In the seventies it was an amplification of hostilities in NI as a time honoured divide and rule tactic to, as I said before, exacerbate latent anti-Catholic sentiments. As I wasn't about at the time it's difficult for me to comment on any other cultural tactics.

In recent years what I have seen has been a seemingly conscious effort to glorify the sense of Britishness and the Union Jack in particular through constant placement in TV programmes (e.g cushions on soaps of popular families, bunting on GBBO, Top Gear set pieces with UJs waving and Jerusalem playing etc... etc...), the naming of shows themselves (Bake off, Sewing Bee, Allotment Challenge), the rebranding of Remembrance Sunday into a three week event policed by the media, outrageous spending on a successful Olympics team, the total blackout of bad news stories relation to the royal family (a complete U-turn from the nineties), the hammering home of new bogeymen (Russia, Muslims, the unemployed) to reinforce respect and compliance with the state and the government.

Rangers/Conservative/Vote No/Union Jack/Pro-Royal culture has been at the vanguard of opposing progressive change in Scotland.

From it, the establishment have gained
continued Lab/Con rule over Scotland, two No votes, sufficient apathy to conduct multiple illegal wars without sustained protest, continued placement of nuclear submarines within 20 miles of Glasgow, continued ownership of Scotland's land and, most importantly to them, the fruits of the North Sea oil bonanza for over 40 years (they have successfully brainwashed people into thinking oil is effectively worthless - that's some feat!)

7 hours ago, Der Kaiser said:

In the seventies it was an amplification of hostilities in NI as a time honoured divide and rule tactic to, as I said before, exacerbate latent anti-Catholic sentiments. As I wasn't about at the time it's difficult for me to comment on any other cultural tactics.

In recent years what I have seen has been a seemingly conscious effort to glorify the sense of Britishness and the Union Jack in particular through constant placement in TV programmes (e.g cushions on soaps of popular families, bunting on GBBO, Top Gear set pieces with UJs waving and Jerusalem playing etc... etc...), the naming of shows themselves (Bake off, Sewing Bee, Allotment Challenge), the rebranding of Remembrance Sunday into a three week event policed by the media, outrageous spending on a successful Olympics team, the total blackout of bad news stories relation to the royal family (a complete U-turn from the nineties), the hammering home of new bogeymen (Russia, Muslims, the unemployed) to reinforce respect and compliance with the state and the government.

Rangers/Conservative/Vote No/Union Jack/Pro-Royal culture has been at the vanguard of opposing progressive change in Scotland.

continued Lab/Con rule over Scotland, two No votes, sufficient apathy to conduct multiple illegal wars without sustained protest, continued placement of nuclear submarines within 20 miles of Glasgow, continued ownership of Scotland's land and, most importantly to them, the fruits of the North Sea oil bonanza for over 40 years (they have successfully brainwashed people into thinking oil is effectively worthless - that's some feat!)

Haha the Tories are putting cushions on the set of Coronation Street!

Arguably the rise of British Nationalism in the modern era can be traced back to the end of the Falklands war although I do follow your sentiment that the Union Jack has been in fashion lately. Please also remember that the deployment of troops to Northern Ireland was to counter the Irish killing each over who was the better Christian; they were already divided. Also Russia is pretty much a bad guy as they have annexed parts of Georgia and the Ukraine, we have gone to war for less in the past so we don't need to paint them as anything as they are doing a great job themselves. Muslim extremism is also possibly one of the greater modern threats to western society.

However, you still haven't shown how any of this has been coordinated by the government.

8 hours ago, Der Kaiser said:

fucking hell 

Not necessarily the government but the wider establishment.

That also encompasses TV executives who often double up as lords or sirs, TV news editors, panel members who award lottery funding, the billionaire press barons.

You don't think those who decide what does and doesn't make it onto TV screens and newspapers is decided by disparate groups of individuals who don't know each other or communicate with one another, do you?

On 11/23/2016 at 22:06, The_Kincardine said:

The diddies, eh?  Spouts screeds of pish based on a false premise. You'll fit in well.

Aside from the fact that he's talking rubbish, as highlighted by a succession of diddies; what is there to suggest that the poster in question, is actually a diddy?

15 hours ago, Der Kaiser said:

Not necessarily the government but the wider establishment.

That also encompasses TV executives who often double up as lords or sirs, TV news editors, panel members who award lottery funding, the billionaire press barons.

You don't think those who decide what does and doesn't make it onto TV screens and newspapers is decided by disparate groups of individuals who don't know each other or communicate with one another, do you?

I agree 100% with this. The UK is not run for the benefit of its people, it's run for a very wealthy few who go to the same schools and then choose a career path in government, civil service, BBC etc and preserve the status quo, I.e. Tories in power, while dividing the population by scapegoating minorities such as benefit scroungers, immigrants etc and reinforcing it by means of the Daily Mail, Sun, Express etc while covering up paedophilia, tax fraud and pig shagging.

I still find your other stuff a bit of a stretch though.

On 11/23/2016 at 09:33, The Chlamydia Kid said:

I would doubt if there would have been any need to assert a British identity in the 60s.The majority of Scots voted Conservative in the 50s and it would have been taken for granted that everyone regarded themselves as British and Scottish. In the 70s the Irish troubles escalated and British identity has come under increasing threat since then from Irish republicans in Scotland and latterly Scottish nationalism.

That's what football needed, politics.:rolleyes:

That's fair enough. As I say I could be completely wrong and I accept its quite a leap from orthodox thinking.

I was really just trying to ascertain why this phenomenon mushroomed in the seventies and link it to the money trail.

8 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

That's fair enough. As I say I could be completely wrong and I accept its quite a leap from orthodox thinking.

I was really just trying to ascertain why this phenomenon mushroomed in the seventies and link it to the money trail.

Well you didn't.  You made that horrendous gaffe about '17th C Irish politics'.

9 hours ago, The Mantis said:

I agree 100% with this. The UK is not run for the benefit of its people, it's run for a very wealthy few who go to the same schools and then choose a career path in government, civil service, BBC etc and preserve the status quo, I.e. Tories in power, while dividing the population by scapegoating minorities such as benefit scroungers, immigrants etc and reinforcing it by means of the Daily Mail, Sun, Express etc while covering up paedophilia, tax fraud and pig shagging.

Spot on.

Archived