Rangers Songs

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

Different things for different people- same as a Scottish identity. Basically just seeing themselves as British and being proud of British values, people and history.

But for large swathes of rangers fans their national identity will be intertwined with the Christian values, monarchy, social conservatism, patriotism, respect for the armed forces etc

But not necessarily with paying for them.

This suggests that, for a large number of Rangers fans, supporting Rangers is just another aspect of this Britishness.  What came first, the Unionist identity or the Rangers support?

I have a theory - and it may well be wrong because I wasn't born at the time - that it might have something to do with North Sea oil.

Undeniably the photographic evidence shows that union jacks became more prominent throughout the seventies. From the anecdotes of older Rangers fans I've asked about this the support for the monarchy and ramping up of the anti-Catholic and anti-Irish republican rhetoric also took place at this time too.

According to a few folk I've asked going to the football was only really about the football in the sixties. There was an anti-Catholic tendency but it was far less overt than what it became.

We know successive British governments (Tory and Labour and Tory again) deliberately lied about the value of North Sea oil at the time and I wonder if this process of "turning up" the Britishness at Ibrox might have been a product of social engineering concurrent with stemming an anticipated tide of Scottish nationalism in the wake of the oil discovery.

I wonder if the conditioning of a sizeable proportion of the population into singing GSTQ through the creation of a local bogeyman in the form of Irish republican sympathy (the escalation of hostilities in NI in the early
seventies) was in effect to make 'useful idiots' out of the Rangers support.

No doubt c***s will dismiss this as a nationalist fantasy or conspiracy theory but it's my tuppence worth.

15 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

I have a theory - and it may well be wrong because I wasn't born at the time - that it might have something to do with North Sea oil.

No doubt c***s will dismiss this as a nationalist fantasy or conspiracy theory but it's my tuppence worth.

As one who was going to the football in the 60's this is complete and utter tosh.

Not because you are a nationalist , just because it's nonsense.

10 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

Why?

I'm old enough, and I'm a nationalist too, and I get the whole Bbc/media bias thing 100% but it's hard to explain to you if you weren't there in those more innocent, pre-internet days. I don't think the bluenoses were politicised at all back then apart from singing gstq to wind up the kaffliks. There was no 'rule britannia ' or England shirts or booing 'Flower of Scotland' back then. The Express was the most popular newspaper (I delivered them then so I know) and the Bbc presenters spoke in RP. Labour and Tories were the two most popular parties in Scotland. People were just more compliant back then.

I'm old enough, and I'm a nationalist too, and I get the whole Bbc/media bias thing 100% but it's hard to explain to you if you weren't there in those more innocent, pre-internet days. I don't think the bluenoses were politicised at all back then apart from singing gstq to wind up the kaffliks. There was no 'rule britannia ' or England shirts or booing 'Flower of Scotland' back then. The Express was the most popular newspaper (I delivered them then so I know) and the Bbc presenters spoke in RP. Labour and Tories were the two most popular parties in Scotland. People were just more compliant back then.

Right - that's what I've heard a lot of people say.

What I'm getting at is that the establishment were tapping into something which was already nascent: "getting it up the kaffliks" as you say. Through their misadventures in NI they whipped up a grievance amongst Rangers fans against Irish nationalism - a grievance which would also be fuelled against Scottish nationalism as and when required - and any other challenge to the British establishment for that matter.

They've gone from flat caps and an antagonism towards Catholics to this ridiculous scene now where you have alcoholic wife beaters obsessed with 17th century Irish politics, North Korean style military parades in the pitch before games, manic hatred of Irish and Scottish nationalist politicians and men performing Nazi salutes whilst wearing poppies.

It's been a 40 year journey and, IMO, it's been controlled and stoked by the British establishment in the same way that any other mass-group hysteria is. I don't accept it can simply be dismissed as a self-perpetuating snowball effect.

18 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

The diddies, eh?  Spouts screeds of pish based on a false premise. You'll fit in well.

Sod off you ! I'm a diddy and I think he's talking complete bollocks.

19 hours ago, Wren Road said:

Christian values lol, how many out of 50 thousand at ibrox do you think attend church? I'd guess at less than 1%

It was probably higher though back in the 60s when the op is referring to . How many actual old fashioned football chants are based on tunes from hymns ? 

11 hours ago, Der Kaiser said:

Right - that's what I've heard a lot of people say.

What I'm getting at is that the establishment were tapping into something which was already nascent: "getting it up the kaffliks" as you say. Through their misadventures in NI they whipped up a grievance amongst Rangers fans against Irish nationalism - a grievance which would also be fuelled against Scottish nationalism as and when required - and any other challenge to the British establishment for that matter.

They've gone from flat caps and an antagonism towards Catholics to this ridiculous scene now where you have alcoholic wife beaters obsessed with 17th century Irish politics, North Korean style military parades in the pitch before games, manic hatred of Irish and Scottish nationalist politicians and men performing Nazi salutes whilst wearing poppies.

It's been a 40 year journey and, IMO, it's been controlled and stoked by the British establishment in the same way that any other mass-group hysteria is. I don't accept it can simply be dismissed as a self-perpetuating snowball effect.

What a load of absoloute nonsense "North Korean style military parades" . Away and howl at the moon 

5 minutes ago, Forever_blueco said:

Suppose the point I will finish on here is that only one club is responsible for politicising football in Glasgow from its very beginning 

:lol: I guess you've just been responding to severe provocation all that time, in that case.

Archived