General nonsense gaming edition.

19QOS19

1 hour ago, Stellaboz said:

7-10 are clearly the pinnacle of the whole franchise. Everything before was decent and after has been utter pish. 8 continues to be my favourite.

The 9 port is amazing! 7 can get fucked now because i didnt realise they actually made a effort with this one(ffs the 8 port on steam still uses the godawful midi soundtrack instead of the mp3) It has full mouse/keyboard support including menu's and combat using nothing your mouse. The graphics have been cleaned up massively for 1080p resolutions and it has the proper 9 soundtrack(which is easily the best OST in the entire franchise) I bought the game for my PS3(which is literally only there for playing blu ray's) and it was the original i think 240p ps1 resolution blown up to 1080p. Everything was a blurry pixelated mess, it was like playing a game wearing someone elses glasses. It was godawful because you have one of the best games ever made and its like they were trying to make it entirely unplayable. I made it to disc 2 before giving up because half of the FF titles are the visuals and you couldnt appreciate them if you cant see them.

Screenshot i just took, look at that!

20170821220920_1.jpg

21 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Dishonored. Sell it to me.

I bought the original on the PS3 and PS4 plus the sequel. Other than its really a lot of fun? Variety is probably one of the better selling points, you can be really stealthy and not kill anyone, or load up some of the cooler powers (rat swarm anyone?) and kill everyone in sight!

I bought the original on the PS3 and PS4 plus the sequel. Other than its really a lot of fun? Variety is probably one of the better selling points, you can be really stealthy and not kill anyone, or load up some of the cooler powers (rat swarm anyone?) and kill everyone in sight!

I'm playing through the second one just now. Wasn't really enjoying it at first but the more I've played it and got used to the powers etc the more I've enjoyed it. Worth the £10 I paid for it!

It's not even the fact that I'm trophy focused and want to effectively do everything in it, I'm just terrible no matter what approach I take. I remember when I first played it I tried being stealthy, I'd get one or two guards out the way then I'd walk into a room with five of them or something equally ridiculous. Playing again now I think the thresholds of what constitutes 'hidden' and what doesn't will be my biggest gripe, along with trying to keep track of everything I'm trying to do. With any luck I'll get back to you and two weeks and tell you I'm done but I still think it's arse.

1 hour ago, spud131 said:

I'm playing through the second one just now. Wasn't really enjoying it at first but the more I've played it and got used to the powers etc the more I've enjoyed it. Worth the £10 I paid for it!

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that at £10 (even in Game!) the sequel is an absolute steal.

Dishonored is a fantastic game, one of the best in the stealth assassin genre. It's not for everyone though. I think its vastly improved if you get taken in by the narrative and the world design which are elements that just don't matter to a lot of gamers. Still, the level design is excellent and as mentioned the choice between "silent stealth assassin" or "FREDDY FUCKING KRUGER" is a big selling point. The game really allows for both play-styles and also significantly changes the last level depending on your approach throughout the game. That and the blink power as well as the generally vertical nature of the level design gives the game a different approach than the majority of stealth focused games out there. 

Saying that, for as much as I love the first, I've still not got round to the sequel which also happens to have Stephen Russell, the voice of the protagonist Garret from the Thief games (another series I adore) coming in to voice Corvo. That probably won't mean much to most but for a nerd like me thats about as perfect as it could have went. 

5 hours ago, bunglebonce said:

One for @BigFatTabbyDave:  a new game called Bomber Crew coming out in October.  It looks like FTL with a WW2 Lancaster-style bomber.

Thank you, sir. I don't really get the time to play long games these days, so these wee roguelike things you can play in bursts are invaluable. Will be checking this one out.

In between my FF9 sessions(just making it to the summoners village) ive been trying out a game i first caught wind of via a Youtuber i watch, the games called Distrust and its basically a "The Thing" game but they couldn't get the license so they had to make some changes and call it "Inspired by" You are part of a rescue mission to find out what happened to a remote antarctic base when your chopper crash lands and you have to survive the elements and the weird creatures that only show up when you need to sleep. The game has survival elements mixed with random chance moments and randomly generated environments. So far i am liking it, apparently as the game goes on your characters will begin to lose their sanity their appearance will change to show this and this can lead to you seeing things, not trusting teammates, making costly mistakes etc. It's a brilliant idea for a game and it was only £7 as well. 

distrust6.jpg