General nonsense gaming edition.

19QOS19

Quick update. 

Due to the backlash received over this banning of mods BS Take Two have done, Rockstar have released a statement basically saying they had nothing to do with it, said the mod allowed hackers to affect online and said they are looking into a solution. 

The creators of the mod have said Rockstar's claim it affects online is bollocks as it was specifically designed for single player and has safeguards in place to prevent it being used in such a way. 

If it is the case that somehow hackers have been able to bypass the mods safeguards then I don't see how Rockstar can't work with the mod developer to patch up the code and resolve this. They claim they have always supported and encouraged the moding community and yet these actions suggest otherwise. 

Rockstar are in a really bad position here.  They've praised mods in the past, even spotlighted a few on their website.  they've been stitched up by TakeTwo.  At least people seem to be sending the blame the right way rather than at Rockstar though.  Suspect they'd love to have the modding community onside, but are being pressurised by the publisher.

17 hours ago, EdgarusQPFC said:

http://www.pcgamer.com/gta-modding-tool-openiv-shuts-down-claiming-cease-and-desist-from-take-two/

Take Two Interactive, owners of Rockstar have filed a cease and desist order with the creator of a mod that is vital to the single player modding of GTA 4 and GTA 5, in effect making non multiplayer related modding(new cars, clothes, guns etc) now illegal for the GTA games. 

Unsurprisingly this is causing quite a lot of backlash against them from gamers as people aren't happy as many only purchased the game to mod and have fun with it. The mod in question is only in relation to single player related content, this has nothing to do with the many hackers in GTA Online.

During a recent conference with various take two heads one was quoted saying in effect that GTA Online isn't getting enough microtransaction money out of players and steps had to be taken to counter this. Take Two tried to do this quietly during E3 with the hopes it would be forgotten during all of the various releases and news. 

At least one Youtuber (NerdCubed) has already decided to Boycott all Take Two related products while this is going on and is encouraging gamers to kick up a fuss and spread the news, because with this banning of modding and Bethesda's E3 reveal that they wanna heavily push a paid for modding scene it could lead to setting a precedent in the gaming community against modding.

Personally i do enjoy single player mods, there are some questlines and story mods for Skyrim for example that have better writing and characters than the main game and mods have vastly increased the shelf life of many games i own so i completely agree that gamers shouldn't let this go quietly. 

I dont know much about the GTA modding, but the article you've linked does seem to say that this mod also impacts online games. In that case, Im not sure Take Two have done too much wrong.

Bethesda arent pushing paid mods. They've made it clear that free mods will continue alongside their Creation Club - this is from the websites FAQs

Is Creation Club paid mods?

No. Mods will remain a free and open system where anyone can create and share what they’d like. Also, we won’t allow any existing mods to be retrofitted into Creation Club, it must all be original content. Most of the Creation Club content is created internally, some with external partners who have worked on our games, and some by external Creators. All the content is approved, curated, and taken through the full internal dev cycle; including localization, polishing, and testing. This also guarantees that all content works together. We’ve looked at many ways to do “paid mods”, and the problems outweigh the benefits. We’ve encountered many of those issues before. But, there’s a constant demand from our fans to add more official high quality content to our games, and while we are able to create a lot of it, we think many in our community have the talent to work directly with us and create some amazing new things.

Edited by Mr X

2 hours ago, forameus said:

Rockstar are in a really bad position here.  They've praised mods in the past, even spotlighted a few on their website.  they've been stitched up by TakeTwo.  At least people seem to be sending the blame the right way rather than at Rockstar though.  Suspect they'd love to have the modding community onside, but are being pressurised by the publisher.

2 hours ago, Mr X said:

I dont know much about the GTA modding, but the article you've linked does seem to say that this mod also impacts online games. In that case, Im not sure Take Two have done too much wrong.

Bethesda arent pushing paid mods. They've made it clear that free mods will continue alongside their Creation Club - this is from the websites FAQs

I know the article and Rockstar have said this is the reason,

Here is what OpenIV's lead developer said:

"OpenIV, Liberty City in GTA V and all other mods/projects from my team and me are only specific for Single player. Rockstar must be well aware about the fact that you cannot access GTA Online while you have installed any OpenIV mod The statement "Unfortunately OpenIV enables recent malicious mods that allow harassment of players and interfere with the GTA Online experience for everybody", is just wrong and they know it. OpenIV does not allows or supports any kind of GTA Online mods. We always supported Rockstar in their right to protect GTA Online from hacks and cheats. But, Take-Two's C&D was specific for out Singleplayer mods and have no mentions about GTA Online."

2 minutes ago, EdgarusQPFC said:

I know the article and Rockstar have said this is the reason,

Here is what OpenIV's lead developer said:

"OpenIV, Liberty City in GTA V and all other mods/projects from my team and me are only specific for Single player. Rockstar must be well aware about the fact that you cannot access GTA Online while you have installed any OpenIV mod The statement "Unfortunately OpenIV enables recent malicious mods that allow harassment of players and interfere with the GTA Online experience for everybody", is just wrong and they know it. OpenIV does not allows or supports any kind of GTA Online mods. We always supported Rockstar in their right to protect GTA Online from hacks and cheats. But, Take-Two's C&D was specific for out Singleplayer mods and have no mentions about GTA Online."

Fair enough, as I said I dont know much about GTA modding

59 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Fair enough, as I said I dont know much about GTA modding

Thats fair enough, i know loads of people arent happy about this, since its happened roughly 20,000 negative reviews on steam have been posted, most of which comment on Take Two's decision, pretty considerable when you note that's about 10% of their total reviews in a matter of days.

Untitled.png

GOG's great, but I haven't bought anything from them in ages. Not sure if they've just been concentrating on games I've no interest in, or if their releases have just been drying up. I've still bought 113 games through them though, which surprised me a tad. Whenever I log in, there's always something that I'd completely forgotten (today's surprise is Defender of the Crown - ooh). 

As it hasn't been mentioned yet, the main benefit to buying from them (other than getting ancient games tweaked to run on modern systems) is that the games are DRM-free, so you don't need to be logged into a client (Steam, Origin, etc) to play them, and can install them on whatever PCs you fancy. They also keep working on the games to make sure they still work when a new version of Windows is released.

On 17/06/2017 at 09:09, Nutz_the_Squirrel said:

Currently downloading Sensible World of Soccer from GOG for the sum of £1.19.  

Motherfucker, I just did that cos yer post. Clickin my way through seasons with motherwell. Had signed Buffon, Nesta, Davids, Maradonna and Arnold Bruggink (f**k knows).

That was my youth on the Amiga man.