General nonsense gaming edition.

19QOS19

Not about anything recent, but i was reading the wikipedia page on Rise of the Tomb Raider(to see if there was any info on a 3rd game) and i read something that kinda annoyed me.

"In the UK, Rise of the Tomb Raider suffered lower than expected sales, selling 63,000 units, less than two thirds than that of its predecessor. Some gaming journalists have attributed the poor sales to the fact that the game released on the same day as Fallout 4."

Bullshit. Here's a very simple explanation of why it didn't sell as well. 

Tomb Raider - released on all 3 major platforms (Microsoft Consoles, Sony Consoles and PC) at the exact same time

Rise of the Tomb Raider - Exclusive to Microsoft consoles for 3 months, then released on PC, then pretty much a year later Sony Consoles

Why would this be so difficult to understand, if you limit the availability of your release to 1 for a short while then 2 of the 3 main markets for almost a year, you will notice that you don't sell as many copies of said game as you did when it was available for all 3. 

I hope they don't pull this stupid shit with the next release. For some reason, the console companies think people are petty enough that if you forcefully limit a game to a particular platform, people will just go out and buy said console. While im sure thats true for some people, generally the kinda idiots who need to have every single new Iphone at release, even if they had the previous for a matter of months. For the rest of us with more sense than money will just say "f**k off" and ignore your game until its dirt cheap

Edited by EdgarusQPFC

Presumably it does work to a degree. Considering how long console manufacturers have been paying for exclusives, they must have noticed an upsurge in hardware sales around the release of an exclusive title, or they'd have abandoned the idea by now. The money must be good enough that publishers don't mind fewer sales.

I'm still waiting for the PC release of Red Dead Redemption, personally  :P

36 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Presumably it does work to a degree. Considering how long console manufacturers have been paying for exclusives, they must have noticed an upsurge in hardware sales around the release of an exclusive title, or they'd have abandoned the idea by now. The money must be good enough that publishers don't mind fewer sales.

I'm still waiting for the PC release of Red Dead Redemption, personally  :P

You can get it on PS Now. I played it for a bit ... meh

Not about anything recent, but i was reading the wikipedia page on Rise of the Tomb Raider(to see if there was any info on a 3rd game) and i read something that kinda annoyed me.

"In the UK, Rise of the Tomb Raider suffered lower than expected sales, selling 63,000 units, less than two thirds than that of its predecessor. Some gaming journalists have attributed the poor sales to the fact that the game released on the same day as Fallout 4."

Bullshit. Here's a very simple explanation of why it didn't sell as well. 

Tomb Raider - released on all 3 major platforms (Microsoft Consoles, Sony Consoles and PC) at the exact same time

Rise of the Tomb Raider - Exclusive to Microsoft consoles for 3 months, then released on PC, then pretty much a year later Sony Consoles

Why would this be so difficult to understand, if you limit the availability of your release to 1 for a short while then 2 of the 3 main markets for almost a year, you will notice that you don't sell as many copies of said game as you did when it was available for all 3. 

I hope they don't pull this stupid shit with the next release. For some reason, the console companies think people are petty enough that if you forcefully limit a game to a particular platform, people will just go out and buy said console. While im sure thats true for some people, generally the kinda idiots who need to have every single new Iphone at release, even if they had the previous for a matter of months. For the rest of us with more sense than money will just say "f**k off" and ignore your game until its dirt cheap

It had the complete opposite effect on me. Very petty but I thought it was a shite move by the company to go exclusive to Microsoft given Tomb Raider was a staple Playstation title. I felt disappointed with the move and haven't paid full price for the game. I'll eventually get round to it when it's down to pennies.

You can get it on PS Now. I played it for a bit ... meh

It's maybe not aged well but by f**k it was superb when it originally came out. Cannot wait for the 2nd installment.

1 hour ago, Ramagamma said:

I get what you are saying EdgarusQPFC but you can only stop and laugh at the Microsoft executives who thought paying for thing raider exclusivity would revive the Xbox.

It just shows how actually lucky they were with the 360, cause they clearly didn't understand gamers

On 10/26/2017 at 09:08, forameus said:

Do the console companies pay for these timed exclusives or is it some other compensation?  If they do, is it enough monetary compensation for the devs to not really care about the obvious drop in sales?

The Rumor mill has always said that Microsoft gave them enough money for the exclusive to offset any potential losses but i suppose the real question is did this ultimately lead to more console/software sales to justify the financial risk or did microsoft lose money. 

Oh, The Kinect is officially dead, its been flatlining for years but seemingly Microsoft have pulled the plug entirely, they have stopped production and will no longer seek for companies to make games exclusively for or with features intended for the Kinect.

A real shame in my opinion. Definitely had potential, and a far lower (and chealer) barrier for entry than their new head-on for VR. Given that no games think anyone sits in a room together now, the most fun me and mates often had with the old 360 was playing the shitty wee Kinect games (when I moved into a house that could actually accommodate it). Technology wise it had huge potential, so not sure what went wrong. Developers not interested in it? Too difficult to develop for? Not enough support? Can't have helped with the absolute fuckup that was the Xbox one and it's new Kinect I suppose.

On 27/10/2017 at 19:54, forameus said:

A real shame in my opinion. Definitely had potential, and a far lower (and chealer) barrier for entry than their new head-on for VR. Given that no games think anyone sits in a room together now, the most fun me and mates often had with the old 360 was playing the shitty wee Kinect games (when I moved into a house that could actually accommodate it). Technology wise it had huge potential, so not sure what went wrong. Developers not interested in it? Too difficult to develop for? Not enough support? Can't have helped with the absolute fuckup that was the Xbox one and it's new Kinect I suppose.

The tech was great on paper, in practice it was a very unreliable mess. Some games developed specifically for it were and still are entirely unplayable. 

I love how the lad on the Red Card video talks so much about all the dirty tricks you can get away with, but hardly shows any of them  :lol:
Also nice to see the Americans have been exposed to Chris Kamara. We shouldn't suffer alone.

The commentary in that game is better than this years PES.

It’s fucking shite how there are hardly any decent splitscreen/local multiplayer games. Even Zombies have cut down the amount of players that can play on one console.  I miss the days of CTR, Timesplitters etc.

Anybody got any recommendations?

Can't stand esports, why watch someone else play a game when you can yourself?

I haven't a clue what E-sports is tbh but I do watch Twitch on occasion. I will watch it for a few reasons:-

- To see if the game is something I'd enjoy. It saves me forking out for a game I won't enjoy.

- I enjoy watching horror games, even if I've played them. Resi 4 and Outlast are two games I'll watch often. I liked the stories and it's good watching a horror game and not making the decisions!

- I used it last night to ask someone playing Assassins Creed a few questions.

- It actually chills me out. I tend to only ever watch Twitch late at night and it's quite therapeutic before going to sleep.