Developmet younger future Scotland

Scottish youth football system. 

Suggestions by the working group include:

• Reducing the current number of 29 academies and 2,300 players. 
  • Re-introducing a reserve league, with a minimum and maximum number of overage players in each team, to replace the current Under-20 Development League. 
  • Switching academy football up to under-16 level to the summer, with the shorter Futsal game adopted in the winter. 
  • Increasing the use of development loans to lower league clubs for players up to 21 years.

Good moves for Scottish football? Will it deliver the aim of increasing the quality of Scotland's international players? Give us your thoughts

Future younger player with quality might in senior squad by Strachan

18 minutes ago, Craig McCulloch Burley said:

Scottish youth football system. 

Suggestions by the working group include:

• Reducing the current number of 29 academies and 2,300 players. 
  • Re-introducing a reserve league, with a minimum and maximum number of overage players in each team, to replace the current Under-20 Development League. 
  • Switching academy football up to under-16 level to the summer, with the shorter Futsal game adopted in the winter. 
  • Increasing the use of development loans to lower league clubs for players up to 21 years.

Good moves for Scottish football? Will it deliver the aim of increasing the quality of Scotland's international players? Give us your thoughts

Future younger player with quality might in senior squad by Strachan

Some decent points made but just rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic tbh.

We need to produce better coaches and our youngsters to receiving this better coaching.

19 minutes ago, sjc said:

Some decent points made but just rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic tbh.

We need to produce better coaches and our youngsters to receiving this better coaching.

I think these things all lend themselves to a better system in general that could foster better coaches and players.

I wish they/Strachan hadn't used the phrase 'rip it up and start again' when first hinting at this blueprint - in reality it looks more like alterations to the existing Performance School system and revamping stuff outwith those schools (i.e. the reserve league & development loan items), which is absolutely fine provided those alterations come with a sound rationale.

Pro youth academies are killing grassroots football.

Anyone in an pro youth system cannot play for boys clubs or schools.

This creates a problem early doors and inhibits progress.

It also creates a two tier football system with the haves and the have nots. Which creates disillusionment for the latter.

Then inevitably when the ones that don't make it in pro youth get discarded between 16-18, of which there is a large number. The majority of them are lost to game.

What about late developers? There is no allowance in the system for this.

I could go on but you get the idea.

The whole pro youth system needs restructured as it is the problem

Oh and coaches that don't coach out individuality but encourage it.

1 hour ago, Father Ted said:

Pro youth academies are killing grassroots football.

Anyone in an pro youth system cannot play for boys clubs or schools.

This creates a problem early doors and inhibits progress.

It also creates a two tier football system with the haves and the have nots. Which creates disillusionment for the latter.

Then inevitably when the ones that don't make it in pro youth get discarded between 16-18, of which there is a large number. The majority of them are lost to game.

What about late developers? There is no allowance in the system for this.

I could go on but you get the idea.

The whole pro youth system needs restructured as it is the problem

Oh and coaches that don't coach out individuality but encourage it.

And if I'm understanding 'Project Brave' correctly, then it is being restructured so it is a smaller number - most likely to turn out as 'elite' - of players who as ring-fenced like this.

As I said in another thread - aside from the name being rubbish many of the apparent headline elements of 'Project Brave' do sound fair enough.

Whether it's a good or bad idea to go for "fewer but that will mean better" in terms of numbers is an obvious concern but it seems to be the way the wind is blowing.

I think the 2 areas of difficulty are limiting the top level of development to just 8 clubs... of which according to some media reports 5 are automatic picks and 2 have got in by their connections... and trying this new blend of U20 and reserves. It's clear why clubs outside those 7 are worried about the former; and we've chopped-n-changed through U21s, Reserves, U19s, U20s with different over-ager combinations, etc. so many times in just 15yrs that you have to be sceptical of this new blend being the answer.

3 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

As I said in another thread - aside from the name being rubbish many of the apparent headline elements of 'Project Brave' do sound fair enough.

Whether it's a good or bad idea to go for "fewer but that will mean better" in terms of numbers is an obvious concern but it seems to be the way the wind is blowing.

I think the 2 areas of difficulty are limiting the top level of development to just 8 clubs... of which according to some media reports 5 are automatic picks and 2 have got in by their connections... and trying this new blend of U20 and reserves. It's clear why clubs outside those 7 are worried about the former; and we've chopped-n-changed through U21s, Reserves, U19s, U20s with different over-ager combinations, etc. so many times in just 15yrs that you have to be sceptical of this new blend being the answer.

I'm still not clear on how the elite 8 thing is tied to clubs - will the 8 clubs have some sort of extra funding/youth conveyor belt dedicated to them? And do these elite 8 entities replace the performance schools (which weren't tied to particular clubs if I understand them correctly) entirely or just partially?

I'm presuming their teams will play each other - i.e. the 'best v best' idea - plus extra funding and presumably first-call or a prioritisation on players?

Not seen anything suggesting they each take on a performance school so maybe it's just a coincidence if there are 8 performance schools? Articles imply proposal is 16 elite academies but suspicion is will be 2 tiers of 8.

Archived