Clyde vs Arbroath

Lichtie78

That was a complete & utter embarrassment for 2nd game in a row. Players not showing enough fight & desire on the pitch. Perhaps another lot of wages needs to be sacrificed.

Scott had no interest in being there, Sukar is never a LB in a million years Kader did diddly squat, Bobby seems oblivious to other maroon shirts, trying to be a 1 man team. Perhaps DC will stick by his quote & make some changes.

As for the referee, absolute joke. Could understand decision for 1st pen but most of his other decisions were baffling. Tbf I thought Hamilton was fortunate not to pick up a second yellow. Begs a question, are there any half decent referees in Scotland?

Have to say those 2 strikes by Gormley were good finishes.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Mon Da Clyde said:

Might be my hearing, but he mentioned Arbroath starting game well and dominating game in second half.

EMBARRASSING!

Or the bizarre lack of understanding of the rules regarding the first penalty. Or moaning about a referee when his team were cuffed 5-0 and looked completely disinterested. Or his general seething shiftiness. It was an absolute Jim Chapman of an interview.

I think we're spoilt with BF in fairness, who despite his reputation always gives an accurate outlook on a game. 

Or the bizarre lack of understanding of the rules regarding the first penalty. Or moaning about a referee when his team were cuffed 5-0 and looked completely disinterested. Or his general seething shiftiness. It was an absolute Jim Chapman of an interview.

I think we're spoilt with BF in fairness, who despite his reputation always gives an accurate outlook on a game. 

Embarassing mess indeed... :lol:

He was actually surprisingly calm and very good with the guys interviewing him, praised Clyde and said he wasn't even going to try and defend the performance. You may disagree on what he said about the 1st penalty but that does not make it an embarassing mess of an interview ffs.

Second bit. You have to be joking.

Might be my hearing, but he mentioned Arbroath starting game well and dominating game in second half.

EMBARRASSING!

He said we did for 5 minutes before you scored your third, not the entire second half.

Eta: I hope DC was much more of a seething mess than that in the Arbroath dressing room..

That was a complete & utter embarrassment for 2nd game in a row. Players not showing enough fight & desire on the pitch. Perhaps another lot of wages needs to be sacrificed.

Scott had no interest in being there, Sukar is never a LB in a million years Kader did diddly squat, Bobby seems oblivious to other maroon shirts, trying to be a 1 man team. Perhaps DC will stick by his quote & make some changes.

As for the referee, absolute joke. Could understand decision for 1st pen but most of his other decisions were baffling. Tbf I thought Hamilton was fortunate not to pick up a second yellow. Begs a question, are there any half decent referees in Scotland?

Have to say those 2 strikes by Gormley were good finishes.

You're a jinx!!!! ;)

That is genuinely one of the most unacceptable performances I've seen us give in the whole time I've supported the club. I consider this a far worse cup defeat than the game at Irvine Meadow. Considering the players we have at our disposal, considering the fact we beat Clyde 4-0 less than a month ago and considering this is the Scottish Cup, with a good draw and a great chance of reaching the last 16 our performance wasn't even hitting the levels of abject, it was so much worse.

The lack of fight in that performance was horrifying, and if that is the reaction and the 'big changes' after our loss at home to the team who were bottom of the SPFL then I have to say I'm rather worried.....

1 minute ago, SimonLichtie said:

That is genuinely one of the most unacceptable performances I've seen us give in the whole time I've supported the club. I consider this a far worse cup defeat than the game at Irvine Meadow. Considering the players we have at our disposal, considering the fact we beat Clyde 4-0 less than a month ago and considering this is the Scottish Cup, with a good draw and a great chance of reaching the last 16 our performance wasn't even hitting the levels of abject, it was so much worse.

The lack of fight in that performance was horrifying, and if that is the reaction and the 'big changes' after our loss at home to the team who were bottom of the SPFL then I have to say I'm rather worried.....

Bear in mind it was the referees fault and Clyde got all the breaks.

2 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

Don't ask. 

You could look here if you're some sort of masochist

That's a fantastic site; fantastic for anoraks like myself..... it has all of the all time records for Arbroath managers as well, and their win ratios...... ;)

A glorious evening. The term "bodying" simply doesn't do it justice.

For all the assorted tears about the referee, I don't think he was bad at all, certainly not compared to some of the displays we're routinely offered up at this level. The only calls I thought he'd got wrong were the second penalty and the Miller yellow card, however I didn't get a great view of the former.  

We were brilliant tonight; made things so difficult for Arbroath all over the pitch, and out-worked them even when reduced to ten men. I haven't seen a Clyde striker bully a defence quite like Gormley did this evening in a good while. As he's normally one of the first to receive everyone's criticism, it's only fair that he gets praised when he puts in such a fine display. Absolutely no failures for us this evening which is also very pleasing following Saturday's debacle. That was my first time seeing Miller and I was pretty impressed. If he can keep his attitude and temper in check then he'll be a cracking player for us - we've missed someone with exemplary set piece delivery since Easton was injured.

A final word for Gibson's save from that header at the end: absolutely outstanding, particularly given the fact he was largely a spectator for much of the game. 

Photographs from tonight’s game - https://www.flickr.com/photos/scotsman_in_hawaii/albums/72157673616562513

Clyde deserved that win.  Aside from the 2 penalties, the free kick and especially Gormley’s first goal were outstanding strikes.   His second goal was a good ping but disappointed he was allowed so much space to run at goal.  Good luck to them in the next round.

Regardless of the performance of the referee it’s worrying that for the second game in 4 days we look a shadow of the side that was scoring goals for fun just 3 weeks ago.  After a poor performance against a well organised Edinburgh City, I was hoping for some fresh ideas but more importantly some fight and determination and sadly both were missing.   Only Gomes, Gold and Whatley had reasonable pass marks.   

Any clued up manager will put two players on Bobby, and in a repeat from Saturday every time Bobby got the ball he was double teamed.   Surely this must mean that his team mates must utilise and take advantage of the space that happens when the 2 players chase after him.   Unlike other fans I don’t think I can blame Bobby for trying things on his own, especially when he isn’t getting the service he needs to create.  It was evident in the 2nd half when he was coming deep to the half way line to pick up the ball so he could at least try something.   After all he has another 3 players in midfield alongside him and another 2 in front of them and none of them really helped him.

I think these two before and after images show how lucky Darren Miller was for his headbutt on Sukar.  Even though the linesman was inches away, he bottled the decision.  

Referee pulls the players aside

Martin McNiff's expression - I think he is off

Yellow Cards branded

Sean Higgins's expression - oh ya f****r, what a lucky boy

before and after.jpg

A cracking all round performance last night, in complete contrast to Saturday.

The first penalty looked correct for a push on Gormley. It was probably stupidity from the Arbroath defender when the ball was in mid-air and nowhere near the box yet but I suppose you often get away with an early push. Gormley’s ability to throw himself to the ground probably helped the referee notice it.

There was no doubt about the foul for the freekick and what a strike from McLaughlin. Something he should probably be do more often.

For the second penalty the Arbroath defender ended up on the ground and pulled Gormley over. Whether Gormley had fouled him first I couldn’t tell.

I was surprised by Arbroath who I normally consider one of the more streetwise teams in the league. However they were very petulant last night. Even aside from the penatlies/freekick, they were constantly pulling and pushing, or just clattering into players when they had no chance of winning the ball. Even if some of the fouls were quite soft, you could see from the start the referee was going to give them so they had to change how they were playing.

The worst decisions were the red card incidents. Miller went head to head with the Arbroath left back but made the motion to push through with his head that would get you a red card nine times out of ten. Flynn on the other hand, planted two feet on the ground in order to avoid the Arbroath player and played the ball. Wasn’t even a foul let alone a straight red.

One of the Arbroath defenders, who I’m sure was booked earlier, was lucky to escape a second yellow late on for going through the back of Higgins. I’m sure if it wasn’t for the scoreline and late stage of the game the referee would have gone back to book him having waved play on at the time.

Fair play to Arbroath for bringing a decent number of fans through on a Tuesday night.

That’s now a 3-2 and 5-0 win for Clyde and 4-0 for Arbroath this season. So it should be about 4-3 to Arbroath next time

8 hours ago, SimonLichtie said:

I have to agree with this, now I've calmed down. Our defence has been the best in the league, but repeatedly lost their discipline in the face of an average attack force. 

It didn't help that neither Doris nor Scott offered any relief by holding the ball or spreading the play. We played in front of the Clyde defence all night and made it easy for them. Kader again was a bit part player. We can't afford midfielders who drift in and out and don't tackle back. McCord can make some good passes, but his lack of fitness allows players to stroll past him too often.

We desperately need some fresh ideas and improved performances if the visit to Emmerdale isn't an embarrassment.

I thought the second penalty was blatant, he clearly pulls Gormley to the ground. Didn't see anything in the first, if there was pushing and pulling then you have to give plenty of them during the game. 

Archived