Stirling Albion v Wick Academy Scottish Cup 3rd Round

rhliston

Starting to look forward to this game now.......cannae beat going to a game on a Saturday.

The squad have now had a few weeks with the new manager so they should be under no illusion with what he is looking for out of them and the flip side of that, Mackay will be starting to build a picture of who he wants to get rid of (Moses springs to mind....where's he been? Morrison back to Hearts?) and where he needs to bring players in.

Shifting to a simple 4-4-2 against Arbroath worked and really brought us back into the game so I'm hoping he sticks with that for this game. That might mean sacrificing Hodge, who's been ok this season, but if it's for the greater good of the team and Angus Beith can continue with that level of performance then it has to be done.

If Mackay is going to go with 2 up front then I hope it's Henderson & Kavanagh that get the nod and hopefully the new French lad (name has slipped my head) will also get a run out from the bench. Kavanagh deserves a chance and has looked effective coming off the bench and yes we have a lot of Attacking Midfielders, with various success, but none of them are Strikers. Sure, you'll get a shift out of them in this role, but none of them should be looked on as first choice strikers..

I'm expecting a comfortable win, I'm not going to lie. Cumbernauld Colts were easy brushed aside this time last year, and I am expecting Wick to be of a similar stature so there is a little bit of pressure on the players there. I have been watching football long enough to know that upsets happen, I just pray it's not us......as I'm sure the players are praying that a Tuesday night replay is not required at Harmsworth Park.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

Starting to look forward to this game now.......cannae beat going to a game on a Saturday.

The squad have now had a few weeks with the new manager so they should be under no illusion with what he is looking for out of them and the flip side of that, Mackay will be starting to build a picture of who he wants to get rid of (Moses springs to mind....where's he been? Morrison back to Hearts?) and where he needs to bring players in.

Shifting to a simple 4-4-2 against Arbroath worked and really brought us back into the game so I'm hoping he sticks with that for this game. That might mean sacrificing Hodge, who's been ok this season, but if it's for the greater good of the team and Angus Beith can continue with that level of performance then it has to be done.

If Mackay is going to go with 2 up front then I hope it's Henderson & Kavanagh that get the nod and hopefully the new French lad (name has slipped my head) will also get a run out from the bench. Kavanagh deserves a chance and has looked effective coming off the bench and yes we have a lot of Attacking Midfielders, with various success, but none of them are Strikers. Sure, you'll get a shift out of them in this role, but none of them should be looked on as first choice strikers..

I'm expecting a comfortable win, I'm not going to lie. Cumbernauld Colts were easy brushed aside this time last year, and I am expecting Wick to be of a similar stature so there is a little bit of pressure on the players there. I have been watching football long enough to know that upsets happen, I just pray it's not us......as I'm sure the players are praying that a Tuesday night replay is not required at Harmsworth Park.

Hopefully as you say we should have more than enough to beat Wick on Saturday and get into the next round. Don't think Beith can play in the Cup tie for us, so he will drop out of the team which is a pity. Agree with playing Henderson and Kavanagh up front in a 4-4-2 formation with Ferns and McKenzie wide with Hodge, Dickson in midfield. Hopefully we see Ross Forsyth back at left back after his injury with Ross McGeachie at right back with McMillan and Davidson in the centre of defence and Chris Smith in goals.

Regarding players MacKay would think about getting rid of I still think Moses can do a job for us but he has been troubled with injuries and has played the last couple of U20 games so he could be on the bench for Saturday. Morrison has not been involved much since his loan move and I don't think it would be any great lose if he went back to Hearts. Still think we are short upfront and need to bring in at least 1 more striker for cover should Henderson get injured. Maybe Darren Lee Smith could be one of the ones out the door in Jan, doesn't score many goals for us. Just have to wait and see who MacKay lets go and who comes in.

1 minute ago, rhliston said:

Don't think Beith can play in the Cup tie for us, so he will drop out of the team which is a pity.

Of course he can't, thanks Rhliston, totally slipped my mind

2 minutes ago, rhliston said:

Regarding players MacKay would think about getting rid of I still think Moses can do a job for us but he has been troubled with injuries and has played the last couple of U20 games so he could be on the bench for Saturday.

I've not seen much in Moses to suggest he's going to be the player that many think he will be, he just seems pretty erratic to me. He can do the brilliant (the goal against East Stirlingshire in the 3-0 win last season) but all too often he over runs the ball, does to much with it because everything must be 'The Moses Show' or has the first touch of an elephant.....however, my prediction of him not being part of Mackay's plans is based more on the fact that he didn't make the bench for his 2 games in charge so far but was fit to play in Corrigan's games and the Development Squad. Maybe Mackay thinks he is still a little to raw and will just wait and see what happens with him, ultimately he is one of those players I'm not that fussed about either way.

I've not seen much in Moses to suggest he's going to be the player that many think he will be, he just seems pretty erratic to me. He can do the brilliant (the goal against East Stirlingshire in the 3-0 win last season) but all too often he over runs the ball, does to much with it because everything must be 'The Moses Show' or has the first touch of an elephant.....however, my prediction of him not being part of Mackay's plans is based more on the fact that he didn't make the bench for his 2 games in charge so far but was fit to play in Corrigan's games and the Development Squad. Maybe Mackay thinks he is still a little to raw and will just wait and see what happens with him, ultimately he is one of those players I'm not that fussed about either way.

Personally think Moses is one of those players to bring off the bench to trouble defences when they're tiring.

4 hours ago, JakeSAFC said:

Personally think Moses is one of those players to bring off the bench to trouble defences when they're tiring.

Yep ideal to bring on once McKenzie has worn them down a bit.

Hopefully a decent performance today and an Albion victory as we march into the 4th round . Prediction Albion 3 Wick 1. Wonder how many will join the march from the Castle today at 12.00pm under the Caithness Flag ?

We never really got out of 2nd gear and we still managed to get through. Wick were very unlucky not to get an equaliser.

The penalty miss was karma for the fact it was never a fucking penalty.

Anyway bring on the glamour tie of Clyde/ Arbroath at home.

Felt Wick were unlucky today not to come away with a replay or even a win, we got the job done in the end, Dylan Ngune Bikey has some pace, good finsh for the goal. Ross Kavangh done well today along with the new lad Couqhoun (my man of the match) no one really had a stinker neither did they have a stand out, end of the day ww are through

11 minutes ago, BinosCammy said:

Felt Wick were unlucky today not to come away with a replay or even a win, we got the job done in the end, Dylan Ngune Bikey has some pace, good finsh for the goal. Ross Kavangh done well today along with the new lad Couqhoun (my man of the match) no one really had a stinker neither did they have a stand out, end of the day ww are through

Yep Wick as you say were very unlucky, missed a great chance to draw level when the ball hit the post when we were 1-0 up but as you say in the end we did the business and that what matters. Dylan Ngune Bikey looked like a good player pacey and has good control, maybe worth a punt for a contract come Jan in a position we need help with.

Sometimes wonder if the people who decide motm actually watch the game. I love Rossco and he's my favourite ever Albion player but he was certainly not motm. Thought Dickson or that new boy Colquhon deserved it.

I really don't know what to say about the game. I thought we stroked the ball around comfortably in the First Half without really creating anything. Blair Henderson missed a glaring chance before scoring and I thought "well that's it.

The 2nd half, we just never got going and Wick really did start to come into the game. When they hit the post when it looked a certainty to score, I feared the worst, so it was a relief that Bikey scored.

The starting line up was positive and looked to be 3-4-3. I thought Petrie looked better in the middle of the park than he has done at Left Back, Colquhoun done well along side him and seemed to be the organiser in Hodge's absence (was he dropped or injured?). I thought Kavanagh was really positive and McKenzie was his usual lively self but Henderson really is just simply frustrating to watch.

So, we are through and managed to get the job done without a dreaded midweek preview, that's all you can ask.

Hope the Wick fans have a safe journey home, they travelled in big numbers to make up the crowd and they were a credit to their team.

Sometimes wonder if the people who decide motm actually watch the game. I love Rossco and he's my favourite ever Albion player but he was certainly not motm. Thought Dickson or that new boy Colquhon deserved it.

Had to laugh at that myself....gobsmacked.

Thanks to Stirling for hosting us today thought was a good game with little in it overall a scrappy first half goal during a ten minute spell of Albion dominance. Second half was different and for most if the second half academy had the upper hand creating numerous chances two superb saves by your keeper was the difference and caught by a very late sucker punch from your new lad who had incredible pace and took hi goal we'll all the best in the next round.

Archived