Dumbarton -vs- Bonnyrigg Rose - Part Two

Jan Vojáček

This is the most excited I've been for a game for a long time. Always love watching us play someone new, and always like visiting a new ground. I doubt Stevie Aitken is looking forward to it though, with our wasteful finishing and wretched away record this looks like it could be set up for an upset.

Given most of our players are injured we can't change to much for the game, and I'll wait until later in the week until I think about the team we should start with. I would hand Jamie Ewings a start though - Alan Martin has been superb this season, but lets rest him and give Jaz a bit of game time in case he's needed later in the season. He's not played since the start of July, and I'd hate for him to get rusty if he's needed should Aldo get injured/suspended.

Expecting a win, fearing an unsurprising defeat but, for some odd reason, reckon this will end in a draw. 2-2.

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking forward to this trip, as you say somewhere different and a change from the usual weekly Championship dross. Really hope it's a blood & snotters Cup tie, expect a tough match & reckon Stevie Aitken'll give the East of Scotland champions the respect they deserve. i.e back to 1 up front :( Hope we'll bring a few fans too.

Any Bonnyrigg fans tell us the best way to get to the ground and any decent boozers nearby? Looking forward to this one

Not a Bonnyrigg fan but live locally. Ground is bang in middle of town just behind the crossroads, so any road into town will take you to it. Best come off the bypass at Lasswade junction, first junction after the Straiton turn-off for Ikea etc.

Parking is a bugger, the roads around the ground are narrow, on-street options not great. They usually send buses down towards Sherwood Industrial Estate (down Dundee St, turn left opposite primary school). For cars, Park Road or the Park itself, right just after the Co-op, will be a good bet. This is just before town centre and only 5 minutes walk to ground.

If coming by train, Eskbank station is about 20 mins walk along a well signed cycle path. Path takes you pretty close to ground and town centre. Plenty buses go up from station too, a 49 Rosewell or 40 Penicuik will do you. Also loads of 31s to Bonnyrigg from Edinburgh centre.

For pubs, Calderwoood is on the crossroads and at the turnstiles more or less. Plus Roses social club as well, two big halls but will be ranmed. Couple of other pubs in town centre but none I'd really recommend. Lasswade rugby club might take a coach booking, worth a call to ask.

Another option might be to go to Lasswade village close to Bonnyrigg, for Paper Mill (craft beers etc) or Laird & Dog. Two decent pubs but a stiff walk uphill to ground, maybe 20 minutes walk. Plenty buses pass through though.

For food, Gigi's on Lothian St (towards Dalkeith) is superb and does a really good lunch menu. Italian grub.

Also the chippy at the crossroads is decent.

The ground is an old world delight. The shed has good sight lines and quite a din under the roof. Wee terrace behind one goal and a smaller shed behind the other. Grass banking on other side. Massive slope on pitch down from shed to other side. Toilets and pies both from social club unless it's changed since new changing rooms were built.

Get there early. It's a small ground and queues will be enormous (judging by the last really big crowd for cup semi with Talbot a couple of years back).

Will be a great atmosphere. Bonnyrigg can get 200-300 no bother for bigger junior games, this one will pull more still.

Enjoy your trip through!!

How many of our loans will be allowed to play? As much as young Harvie's been a bit off form I'd rather keep sparky in the middle than move him to lb. Joe and Stanton would both be worth having in the squad if they were allowed to play.

Looking forward to the day out, hoping our attitude is right and that Stevie sets us out to take control of the game.

11 minutes ago, sonsanorak said:

How many of our loans will be allowed to play? As much as young Harvie's been a bit off form I'd rather keep sparky in the middle than move him to lb. Joe and Stanton would both be worth having in the squad if they were allowed to play.

Looking forward to the day out, hoping our attitude is right and that Stevie sets us out to take control of the game.

Stanton is a season long deal I think, so I'd imagine he'll be ok. Not sure about the others though I'd hope, given their chances of first team football with their parent clubs, that we should be ok to play them.

I seem to remember Aberdeen didn't let us play Rogers a few season's back though, so who knows.

Ties like this make the cup Moonster. Like you, I'm looking forward to this one despite it being a no-win situation for the Sons. If we win then it's nothing more than was expected. If we struggle then it's a major issue.

I'd much rather a game like this than another Championship club. Or Livingston/Alloa. Can't beat an away day at somewhere new.

23 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Get there early. It's a small ground and queues will be enormous (judging by the last really big crowd for cup semi with Talbot a couple of years back).

Will be a great atmosphere. Bonnyrigg can get 200-300 no bother for bigger junior games, this one will pull more still.

You were doing brilliantly until this point :lol: 

One off game but think the Rose will have to put a five star performance to take anything from the game,thinking back the Brechin game a sew seasons ago when we had a great chance to beat them at their own park and ended up getting gubbed in the replay at home,should be a decent crowd and hopefully the weather isny bad.

50 minutes ago, lionel wickson said:

The BBC seem to be forecasting sub zero overnight temperatures from Wednesday night onwards, with daytime "highs" of +2. Would the re-arranged game be the following Saturday?

It would be, aye. That would then move the QOTS game into midweek, which would be a real pain.

Also if this was called off then it would right ruin my weekend, I've been looking forward to it for weeks. The one positive is that it looks like it'll be dry this week, the frost could be an issue but it's not looking horrendously cold.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/gcvvc7enf#?tab=fiveDay&fcTime=1389398400

Would there be any chance of our club offering Bonnyrigg the use of our pitch covers to help get the game on?

I'm sure we could fit our pitch covers in a van. Maybe 2. Would rather this one went ahead on Saturday instead of the inevitable fixture disruption.

1 hour ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Would there be any chance of our club offering Bonnyrigg the use of our pitch covers to help get the game on?

I'm sure we could fit our pitch covers in a van. Maybe 2. Would rather this one went ahead on Saturday instead of the inevitable fixture disruption.

Thought that myself, it's in both teams interest for the game to be played.

Been looking forward to it.

Archived