Dumbarton -vs- Bonnyrigg Rose - Part Two

Jan Vojáček

By all accounts the pre match threads for this match have been civil and cordial compared to the Beith vs Morton thread. It just shows you great things can happen if you're polite, respectful and know your place.

Seriously though, genuinely extremely happy for Bonnyrigg fans. This is the sort of night you follow football for.

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, the snudge said:

Worst result in the clubs history? I'm pretty glad I've not been this season. Nothing attractive about it at all. 

Lucky guy

1 minute ago, omar said:

I am on my way back from this game - I attended as a neutral. At half time I felt sure that Dumbarton would win: Bonnyrigg had had two good chances, and Dumbarton enjoyed a good spell of possession in the second part of the half. Bonnyrigg had started to look tired even then.

However credit to the Rose as they fought their way back into the half, and excellent lead up play by their big centre forward (who was excellent all night) saw them score a lovely goal with about 5 to go.

The Dumbarton fans round about me seemed more resigned to going out and were very fair to Rose, much more fair than I'd expected in a Senior vs Junior game. Maybe because their main target is their manager? Anyway good luck to Bonnyrigg, and credit to both sides for an entertaining game.

We've been brutal all year. I didn't even expect us to win tonight, the manager and his book of excuses have ruined me. The manager absolutely needs to get tae ASAP. Unfortunately he won't, and we won't pay him off, so we're stuck in this boak inducing position.

26 minutes ago, cameron2000 said:

I do feel sorry for Aitken tonight. He didn't send the players out to act like they couldn't be arsed and he also had a very limited squad to work with. Bonnyrigg defo deserved it though and there fans were outstanding.

^^^Ooft, lost it.

24 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

It's a squad he built though: it being limited in the first place is his responsibility. He can't even survive until the weekend now, surely?

^^^kens the score

4 minutes ago, port-ton said:

Seriously though, genuinely extremely happy for Bonnyrigg fans. This is the sort of night you follow football for.

I was glad when the juniors and non leaguers were allowed into the cup, and always expected a result like this would happen; in fact IMO its overdue.

First of all well done to Bonnyrigg and all the best in the next round. Thoroughly deserved - no complaints about the result.

For us, that was a complete and utter embarrassment and the manager has to take most of the blame. We weren't playing great by any stretch of the imagination but we were very much in the game. His tactical changes after subbing off Thomson & Stevenson cost us this game. We were playing a 4-5-1 and it was to an extent working. We then take off our only striker who can actually win a header and revert to 4-4-2 (a formation by the way that we played against Rose in the first game to absolutely no attacking effect). At this point we fell out the game and there was only going to be one winner.

Pettigrew being shoe-horned into left back completely unbalanced our defence, Fleming (who was rotten today btw ) & McCallum (who may as well have not came on for all the difference he made) together up front didn't work in the first leg, so why Aitken thought it would work here is frankly beyond me. After the changes we simply couldn't get out of our own half as we had no-one to hold the ball up/win flick ons etc and a Rose goal was only a matter of time.

Shortly before Bonnyrigg scored I said to one of the guys next to me that our only chance was to take the game to penalties -  that's a total embarrassment for a Championship club at home to any Junior side. 

By all accounts the pre match threads for this match have been civil and cordial compared to the Beith vs Morton thread. It just shows you great things can happen if you're polite, respectful and know your place.

Politeness & respect works both ways & you were never getting that with some on there with the title of the thread . Mon the Thickos [emoji23][emoji23]

Aitken should do the honourable thing. A set-up so devoid of direction and any form of game plan it was criminal. The players must also take a fairly hefty wedge of criticism. The lack of desire, the lack of responsibility and the complete inability to match Bonnyrigg's hunger was completely  unacceptable. A few players were found out tonight; McCallum, Smith, Stevenson, Robert Thomson and Stirling being the most notable. None of them good enough, but ultimately the buck stops with the manager.

I could handle being put out the cup in a one off match, but really, at the second time of asking we should enough professionalism to do what's needed. 180 minutes of dross.

Bonnyrigg deserved that tonight and I'm genuinely pleased for their supporters. Particularly those with long standing family ties to the club; two of whom I spoke to at the fiist tie. Genuine football men. Enjoy the night lads and the next round tie which will really boost the club coffers.

Well done Bonnyrigg

With no disrespect we really should be winning against a junior team and the blame solely lies with the manager.
We want a new stadium??? 4000 seats and 20 fans rattling around inside it!
Mr Wilson....spend some stadium money and sack the manager please!

Two points here....firstly, if you are a Dumbarton fan you may be saddened but not surprised, never mind shocked at tonight's result, this has been coming for a long time.

Secondly if you are a Dumbarton fan and a football fan then you will congratulate Bonnyrigg Rose on their win - thoroughly deserved over the two legs - and wish them good luck and a great day out against Hibs. 

10 minutes ago, fan of the juniors said:

Politeness & respect works both ways & you were never getting that with some on there with the title of the thread . Mon the Thickos emoji23.pngemoji23.png

Respect has to be earned, and Bonnyrigg have earned their respect tonight. Beith are still bumbling bumpkins and tbh i've never even heard of Kilbirnie Ladeside, which sounds more like a leisure centre than a football team.

23 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Lucky guy

We've been brutal all year. I didn't even expect us to win tonight, the manager and his book of excuses have ruined me. The manager absolutely needs to get tae ASAP. Unfortunately he won't, and we won't pay him off, so we're stuck in this boak inducing position.

Seriously, I doubt we could pay him off, there isn't the money.  But look on the bright side, a spectacular crash and burn out of the Championship could kill this mental stadium scheme stone dead.

Respect has to be earned, and Bonnyrigg have earned their respect tonight. Beith are still bumbling bumpkins and tbh i've never even heard of Kilbirnie Ladeside, which sounds more like a leisure centre than a football team.

Maybe you can start a thread for the next round ? Championship clowns v Bonnyrigg Ballers? [emoji106][emoji106]
Just an idea .

Well done to Bonnyrigg who well deserved that victory overall. For us a complete disaster .

shape of team in second half completely awful . 

I see a few post above some individuals singled out but how certain others escape criticism typifies opinions at the rock . 

If we had a fully fit squad would team have been that much different . Yes more availability from bench. 

At goal defence 2 v 2 and spare man peels round and is allowed space to shoot. Awful defending . 

Stevie shouldn't survive this but that squad of players should have been able to beat a junior team so they must also take lions share of blame . 

What next 

1 minute ago, cedrick1 said:

Well done to Bonnyrigg who well deserved that victory overall. For us a complete disaster .

shape of team in second half completely awful . 

I see a few post above some individuals singled out but how certain others escape criticism typifies opinions at the rock . 

If we had a fully fit squad would team have been that much different . Yes more availability from bench. 

At goal defence 2 v 2 and spare nan peels round and is allowed space to shoot. Awful defending . 

Stevie shouldn't survive this but that squad of players should have been able to beat a junior team do that must also take lions share of blame . 

What next 

This is how bad we are - somebody's fucking nan is scoring against us!  Jeezo.

Archived