Ads on pc

dee_62

Question

Using the pc to access the site over the last couple of days and have had Wm Hill and PS4 ads sweeping in like pairs of curtains.  Full length with no apparent "X" to close them down.  I can scroll up and down the page still but can't click on anything below or to the side of them - have had to keep closing the window down.  Not even sure I'm hovvering over the ads all the time before they re-appear!

ETA using Chrome on a windows pc

• Answers 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On 11/26/2016 at 17:32, HibeeJibee said:

Getting it all the time currently.

It’s an advert that is obviously intended to run down both side of the screen but something is going wrong and they’re sweeping in like a curtain and covering the whole page. No X to click and Refresh doesn’t help.

Site is virtually unusable just now.

If you click refresh 20 times you'll maybe get 1 time where the 'curtain' effect doesn't work.

But yeah, it's horrendous. I don't mind adverts if they're down the side of the page like they're meant to be, but these ones clearly don't work properly and are making the site impossible to use.

Sounds like the problem is back, for posters like Nightmare at least.

Within the last 30mins the side adverts have disappeared for myself, and the forum content now fills the whole width of the screen.

Not sure if that's Mods switching the ads off again as a reaction to a problem, or if that's just the way it's going 'wrong' again for me.

Sorry guys, the ad agency are running new creatives that are supposed to go down both sides of the forum, like the screenshot below. These are causing some problems clearly.

I've isolated us down to a single ad unit on the site to see if that fixes the problem, please let me know if you have any problems after reading this post.

advert_unit.JPG

I completely understand the site having ads in order to remain free to use. The reason I raised this thread was because the ads had totally taken over the page. You couldn't navigate away from it back to the site without closing the tab down. To me, that appeared to be an error.

It absolutely was mate, no problem at all with raising that.

I have got an "ongoing situation" with Marks and Spencers after last week. They can now fcuk right off as far as I'm concerned. Farmfoods will now be my organic ready meal supplier of choice until further notice... 

As I said previously, the adverts keep the site free. It consumes a lot of hosting power and that comes at a fairly significant cost.

Similarly we have to fund the App which we give away for free and we have prediction league prizes to pay for as well.

You can opt out of adverts by taking out a subscription to the Platinum Members club using the subs link at the top of the site.

That way you are making a contribution towards our costs.

I completely understand the site having ads in order to remain free to use. The reason I raised this thread was because the ads had totally taken over the page. You couldn't navigate away from it back to the site without closing the tab down. To me, that appeared to be an error.

11 minutes ago, Div said:

As I said previously, the adverts keep the site free. It consumes a lot of hosting power and that comes at a fairly significant cost.

Similarly we have to fund the App which we give away for free and we have prediction league prizes to pay for as well.

You can opt out of adverts by taking out a subscription to the Platinum Members club using the subs link at the top of the site.

Dunnit :thumsup2

21 minutes ago, Wee Willie said:

Me tae :thumsup2

Just now, Div said:

I only switched them off 5 mins ago.

You can of course use Adblock but if everyone does that there will be no need as there will be no site!

I'll get the problems fixed.

I thought that, just my wacky sense of humour at play.

Maybe that's why it's disappeared - nothing to do with AdBlock!

I only switched them off 5 mins ago.

You can of course use Adblock but if everyone does that there will be no need as there will be no site!

I'll get the problems fixed.

Archived