Why doesn't Strachan pick them?

Rednyella

It amazes me that the Scottish FA, Strachan, McGhee & many pundits like Chic Young, Keith Jackson etc. all complain about the lack of depth and quality at the national teams disposal but yet we have a whole host of players who either haven't been given a shot or are playing at a high level and Strachan refuses to pick them even for Squad.

For example, both Adam and Bardsley have shown improvement and form this last October for Stoke City, play in arguably the most competitive league in world football and Strachan wants nothing to do with them. Ok Charlie is not a true athlete but his technical qualities we all agree would add creation and purpose to the squad. Strachan seems adamant in playing in a certain way but it hasn't worked.

I'm confused by Strachan's rhetoric, his squad announcements and his team selections as many are. He finally changed things up a tad v England, playing Griffith, but in the end we where easily beat. I'm amazed he's staying on so will he change it up in next 5 months?

So, who would you bring in and why? How should we play? There is a longer list of players so who deserves their shot as at this point another tournament gets away from us.

Who? Why? And your overall thoughts about these players and Strachan?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gordon Strachan needs to stop picking players purely on the basis of what club they are contracted too. The likes of Morrison who's had more game time this season for Scotland than he has for his club is a joke

If you take the likes of Northern Ireland they had (off the top of my head) 3 Scottish Premiership players in France (McGinn, MaGennis & McGovern) all of whom made a significant impact, Simon Church from Aberdeen was in the squad for the Euro semi final FFS

I can guarantee that if the likes of Danny Swanson, Andrew Shinnie and Kenny McClean were Northern Irish they would have went to France in the summer. These are the guys who should be getting a call up for a run out and training opportunity in an international environment. This again makes he decision not to take on a friendly deplorable

As far as I've seen, Adam hasn't been in the Stoke team all the time. Is it the same with Bardsley?

We haven't left out any world-beaters. Some, like McCormack and Rhodes, have been omitted because they don't suit the system Strachan plays (which could be another question).

What gets to me is why do they continue to select Grant Hanley when he isn't getting a game for his Club yet Hutton, who I am not a lover of, was finally dropped for the same thing? The word is consistency of selection and decisions. Strachans decision making is baffling in every sense and will continue to be the same until he goes.

The sad fact is we are going to have to, in the short term, get used to his continual short sighted approach to selection and in game decision making so we wont be seeing much more of Burke any time soon and it will just be same negative 4231 until he is gone. Buzz..........

He comes out with some shite too. After Celtic qualified for the group stages he went on and on about how it was great for te national team that we would have players playing at the highest level. The next game (I believe) against Lithuania he didn't start any Celtic players. Stuck with the reserve players from down south

He can take his one liners and get ti fück

lolololol yet come the England game said Celtic Players are all in the team because in his tiny little mind that is what he thinks would get him a result against England.....

Personally I think his team selection for England game was garbage and those fools who say we played well are as bad as him. You cant play well and lose 3-0. You cant field a team with 4 Holding CM and expect there to be the creativity to win, you cant drop a CB who is playing regularly yet keep in one who is a caveman and isn't getting a game. England, for the calibre of player they have available to them, are poor at the back, it was screaming out for Oliver Burke and his youthful exuberance and speed to get at them, instead the ginger nyaff went with James Forrest who is quite possible one of the worst Celtic Players I have ever seen, he cant shoot, he cant cross or pass, not sure what he can do actually?

Who would Charlie Adam play in front of? If we're talking central midfield, Brown, McArthur and Morrison are comfortably better than him. Darren Fletcher probably is too. In attacking midfield we're clearly not going to play Charlie Adam off a striker when we play one up front, he's far too slow.

You could make a case for him playing in front of Barry Bannan who due to injuries started against Slovakia, Malta and Lithuania, right enough. But in general we have better CM's. That being the case, I'd rather see a potential prospect like John McGinn in the squad than Adam. 

Phil Bardsley and Matt Phillips are the glaring omissions from the squad, both are miles better than Callum Paterson and James Forrest/Barrie McKay. Pretty embarrassing that Strachan can't see that.

Ross McCormack should have been in the squad over recent years, but arguably not now. Unless Alan Hutton retired before being left out of squads, he was a pretty baffling omission. 

Aside from that, who could you really make a case for? The likes of Tom Cairney and Liam Cooper aren't good enough, nor are they likely to be (although that hasn't stopped players like Tony Watt, Jamie Murphy, Kevin McDonald, Kenny McLean and Craig Bryson being in semi-recent squads). 

Who's left? Stuart Armstrong, Johnny Russell, Donald Love, Liam Bridcutt, Ryan Fraser, Jordan Rhodes. Graeme Shinnie? Fraser if he gets some more game time at Bournemouth is worth a go. Rhodes is better than Chris Martin but that's about it. The rest? Nah. 

I'd suggest, Bardsley and Phillips aside, Strachan mostly picks the right players in the squad. It's his starting line-ups with diddies like Paterson, Hanley, C Martin and Forrest that are the main issue. 

Paco there is not much I disagree with above, Whilst I 100% agree with what Charlie Adam says I personally wouldn't select him ahead of who he is behind but my biggest issue with Strachan is and always will be his starting 11 selections and substitutions. He seems to reward failure and in a game rather than try to make positive changes to try and win or get back in it he would rather make a negative change, case in point the England game, 1-0 down and he puts McAthur on, not exactly what you want to see is it? He just needs to be more positive and less pragmatic and arrogant. Perhaps being less of knob with the public would help as well.

It's just another case of fans not liking what they're seeing from the players that do get picked, then looking all misty-eyed over at people that weren't because of course they'll be way better.  Right up until they are actually given a chance, and it becomes clear that the reason was that they just weren't good enough.

Adam is not the answer to our prayers.  He would slow what is already a pretty slow team down even further, and if we're going to go for a more energetic pressing game - which we looked not bad at for spells against England - then he's hardly going to do that.  To be honest there aren't any players not involved that absolutely 100% should be.  Bardsley is probably an edge case - Paterson is fine to be involved but don't think he's quite ready.  Hutton or Bardsley would be a more experienced option to have alongside him and may actually help him get better.

The rest though...just different flavours of what we have.  McCormack seems to be the flavour of the month, just like Fletcher was a while back, and just like Griffiths was.  Rhodes too.  These aren't superstars we're leaving out.

Oh and Phillips as well, I'd forgotten him, but he should probably at least be in the squad given some of the other options we have.

Scottish Premiship: Graeme Shinnie , Andrew Considine, Mark Reynold, Ash Taylor (Eligible), Kenny McLean, Ryan Jack (all Aberdeen player), Danny Swanson, Steven Anderson, Murray Davidson, Brian Easton, Richard Foster, David Worthspoon (All St Johnston players) Paul McGowan, Mark O'Hara, Nick Ross, Cammy Kerr (All Dundee players) Andy Haillday, Jason Holt, Michael O'Halloran (trio Ranger players), John Souttar, Jamie Walker, Sam Nicholson.

Scottish Championship: Cameron Bell, Blair Spittal, Simon Murray, Scott Fraser (Dundee Utd) David Gray, Fraser Fyvie, Paul Hanlon, Dylan McGeouch, Lewis Stevenston Jason Cummings, Darren McGregor (all Hibs players)

Why not Scotland pick player from Portugal and Holland for Anderson and Gauld

Why not Scotland pick players from English League One or Two for Alex Iascovitti (Loan), Flynn, Scougall and lots Scottish players

Why not Scotland pick player from Scottish Premieship and Championship 

Alex Iavcovitti would shit himself if he was called up.
The guy has only played a handful of first team games for Forest before going on loan to the 4th tier of English football.
By that logic should we call up Rory McAllister?

1 minute ago, Rabinho said:

Alex Iavcovitti would shit himself if he was called up.
The guy has only played a handful of first team games for Forest before going on loan to the 4th tier of English football.
By that logic should we call up Rory McAllister?

I know but Scotland try like North Ireland player from different club at Premiership or Championship or League One (English)

1 hour ago, Craig McCulloch Burley said:

Scottish Premiship: Graeme Shinnie , Andrew Considine, Mark Reynold, Ash Taylor (Eligible), Kenny McLean, Ryan Jack (all Aberdeen player), Danny Swanson, Steven Anderson, Murray Davidson, Brian Easton, Richard Foster, David Worthspoon (All St Johnston players) Paul McGowan, Mark O'Hara, Nick Ross, Cammy Kerr (All Dundee players) Andy Haillday, Jason Holt, Michael O'Halloran (trio Ranger players), John Souttar, Jamie Walker, Sam Nicholson.

Scottish Championship: Cameron Bell, Blair Spittal, Simon Murray, Scott Fraser (Dundee Utd) David Gray, Fraser Fyvie, Paul Hanlon, Dylan McGeouch, Lewis Stevenston Jason Cummings, Darren McGregor (all Hibs players)

Why not cap everybody? Why not cap me?

Archived