Airdrieonians vs. Alloa Athletic

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bit of a Curate's egg today, excellent result, central defence solid again before and after Fitzpatrick went off and Andy Ryan getting another, but with the good there's the bad, the midfield after a good 1st half and breath-taking start to the 2nd were at best rotten after the Goodwin red, lacked accuracy in passing, strength in tackles, movement and worst of all width, against 10 men we seemed to only use the left channel or hoof the ball up, making zero use of the extra man, Stewart was a major frustration on the right, he kept drifting in the whole game for no reason and Alloa did their best to exploit it, his distribution was woeful and his tackling weak, he finally took the ball down the wing late on in the 2nd half and put in a good cross but it was sadly his only positive attacking contribution.

As for Goodwin, the only surprise with that looney was that he got a 2nd yellow and not a straight red, an uncontrolled lunge like that through the back of a player and you expect to see red every time, the man is a liability to his team mates and a danger to his opponents, an old pro, who faced by his own increasing failings as his career ebbs, chooses to take his frustration out on his opponents legs.

Finally a few words on the Ref, 3 early decisions summed him up, Alloa player sclafs the ball which bounces up and his hits hands which were up and away from his body, no free kick, Goodwin shoves an Airdrie player to the ground with both hands in the back, no free kick then the worst, Russell goes past the keeper who trips him with his arm/hand, he stays on his feet and tries to score yet the Ref sees no foul, if he was attempting to get a penalty he would have gone down, I suppose for balance I should mention the one in the 2nd half where McDonald? was beaten by the Alloa player and fell , he then did a cheeky wee pull on his leg to stop him getting clear, a booking all day for everyone yet the Ref just gave the foul. QED.

Sam

Just viewed highlights. In his interview Wilson said we picked up one or two injuries today but that we had good players to come in. This is a bit worrying. Fitz was obviously one of the injuries. Brown was injured near the end but carried on.

The problem is we don't have good players to come in!

Just watched the highlights.  Just watch from around 2:10 and leading up to Fitz's injury you'll Goodwin firstly catch Ryan with an arm in the face then he deliberately obstruct Fitzpatrick as he was going down.  

I'm certain the p***k didn't deliberately attempt to break Fitzy leg or snap his knee but when you throw your weight onto someone's leg it can happen.

Then of course he nearly snapped Ryan in the 2nd half for his 4th cautionable offence of the game.

IMO that cnut should never set foot on a football field again.

7 minutes ago, DestroyedByMadness said:

Just watched the highlights.  Just watch from around 2:10 and leading up to Fitz's injury you'll Goodwin firstly catch Ryan with an arm in the face then he deliberately obstruct Fitzpatrick as he was going down.  

I'm certain the p***k didn't deliberately attempt to break Fitzy leg or snap his knee but when you throw your weight onto someone's leg it can happen.

Then of course he nearly snapped Ryan in the 2nd half for his 4th cautionable offence of the game.

IMO that cnut should never set foot on a football field again.

Got to agree, not only on what happened in this game, but this guy has been getting away with this for years. No-one likes him, he hasnt ever really been a good player, he cant dictate the tempo of games, hes a digger at best and even at that you seen him getting bitchslapped all over the place in the SPL buy people much harder than him. 

Everyone loves a good 50/50 challenge, but going out to forearm smash people every single week just shows a weak player with a weak mentality.

You dont see him try that with someone who is likely to retaliate, hes a shitbag. he shouldnt be back on the park on his footballing ability aswell as this crazy attempt at trying to break peoples legs.

So....assuming Fitzpatrick is out and McIntosh is fit, does Scott Stewart move into Fitz's position and McIntosh come back into the side?

I though Scott had a poor game yesterday. His positioning was all over the place, weak in the tackle and distribution woeful.

8 minutes ago, Pesadilla said:

So....assuming Fitzpatrick is out and McIntosh is fit, does Scott Stewart move into Fitz's position and McIntosh come back into the side?

I though Scott had a poor game yesterday. His positioning was all over the place, weak in the tackle and distribution woeful.

I think Wilson going 442 after their goal was a big move.   At their goal both Brown and Russell were up the pitch as their full backs were atracking (The LB crossed and the RB finished).  That just can't continue to happen.

The 433 suited finding a role for Fitz, with him out now we need yo adopt the 442 again.  If we need, Russell can drop off the frontline to match up in midfield. 

Reinstate McIntosh at RB and recall Higgins as cover.    Play Stewart at RW and Brown on the left and it's crucial they now double up with the fullbacks.

Lastly on Fitz.   I've undoubtedly been his harshest critic and most of the time it had been deserved.   But since his move back into midfield he'd found a bit of form.  I'd never have loved him but he had got it together and I'm genuinely gutted for him, he did not deserve this.   On that subject, if it is his cruciate that has gone I'd hope the club get is fixed asap.  Previously guys like John Boyle and Grant Drummond had to wait a while for NHS ops and neither recovered fully.   I hope the club dont f**k about and get it fixed for him.

7 hours ago, DestroyedByMadness said:

I think Wilson going 442 after their goal was a big move.   At their goal both Brown and Russell were up the pitch as their full backs were atracking (The LB crossed and the RB finished).  That just can't continue to happen.

The 433 suited finding a role for Fitz, with him out now we need yo adopt the 442 again.  If we need, Russell can drop off the frontline to match up in midfield. 

Reinstate McIntosh at RB and recall Higgins as cover.    Play Stewart at RW and Brown on the left and it's crucial they now double up with the fullbacks.

Lastly on Fitz.   I've undoubtedly been his harshest critic and most of the time it had been deserved.   But since his move back into midfield he'd found a bit of form.  I'd never have loved him but he had got it together and I'm genuinely gutted for him, he did not deserve this.   On that subject, if it is his cruciate that has gone I'd hope the club get is fixed asap.  Previously guys like John Boyle and Grant Drummond had to wait a while for NHS ops and neither recovered fully.   I hope the club dont f**k about and get it fixed for him.

is it not easier to put McIntosh in for fitz. Is defensive midfield not McIntosh's favoured position anyway

Both centre backs were very good yesterday.  I don't think Gorman lost a header all day, and Boateng is really shaping up.  That time in the second half when he very coolly stole the ball from Alloa's forward was excellent, and showed a surprising nimbleness for such a big man.  

Losing Fitzpatrick was a blow, and McLaughlin struggled to have much impact.  He's only 19, hasn't played much for the first team (certainly not recently) as is a different kind of player to the man he was replacing, though, so we shouldn't judge him harshly for that.  He's skillful and clever, and should he be given a run of games to play himself into form, I've no doubt he'll contribute plenty.  Ferguson had another good game - most of the saves were pretty routine, but he needed to think fast for some of them, and he dealt with crosses well.  He can't be blamed for their goal - which was well taken, though it was disappointing that the Alloa player was totally unmarked for it.

Brown had a good game, putting in an excellent ball for Ryan's goal, and a sublime pass that Russell should have made more of in the second half.

We were clearly the better the team, and could have won by more - all in all, a Goodwin for Airdrie (tee hee hee).

1 hour ago, goodwin said:

is it not easier to put McIntosh in for fitz. Is defensive midfield not McIntosh's favoured position anyway

It doesn't really bother me what he prefers tbh,  as you said he could certainly fill that role  but I think Wilson's mid game reorganisation suggested to me he sees the 433 as being defensively weak as highlighted by their goal.   

Will be very interesting to see what he does.

It doesn't really bother me what he prefers tbh,  as you said he could certainly fill that role  but I think Wilson's mid game reorganisation suggested to me he sees the 433 as being defensively weak as highlighted by their goal.   

Will be very interesting to see what he does.

Hopefully McIntosh in for Fitzpatrick and move Stewart to CM and McIntosh back to RB.

Archived