The Grand Tour

jimmy boo

After watching all of it, it started really well, but tailed off quite a bit.  The Hypercar bit with the Porsche, McLaren and Ferrari went on far too long.  And the "fight" with the audience wasn't funny.  The killing off of celebrities was mildly amusing, but i'd imagine it'll get boring by the next episode if they carry on with it.

It was still more than watchable though.

Wasn't really into the run of the mill Top Gear episodes, the challenges were always my favourite but having watched this I thought it was pretty good.

Surely this is a winner for true 'petrol heads' because there is 2 car shows instead of 1? Or is it the case that people only watched Top Gear because of Clarkson n co and don't actually have a thing for cars? 

I was a fan of Top Gear when it was at its height a few years ago.  Then Clarkson et al got a bit carried away and things became too scripted.  I didn't watch it towards the end, and never got round to seeing more than half an episode of the Evans revival.

Watched episode 1 of The Grand Tour over the weekend and thought it was a lot of fun for what it was.  It's not to be taken seriously, a lot of it was a bit over-done and didn't work in places (the "fight" over the RAF, for example), but there was a lot to enjoy.  The opening segment was particularly epic.

Hopefully they've used some of the mammoth budget for a foreign expedition or two.  The Botswana special was a particular highlight, and it was those adventures that I always enjoyed the most (not actually being that big a car fan myself).

I'll certainly stick with it.

On 18/11/2016 at 14:10, Stu said:

Prime is on offer for £59 for the year until tonight. Think me and my brother are going to go halfers on it so we can watch this. Are there enough other decent films and TV shows to make it worthwhile?

As said earlier, The Man in the High Castle is pretty decent, and I got quite into Bosch. You can rip the free next day delivery as well, I reckon I've already saved about £20 on delivery charges - so that's smashing.

2 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Wasn't really into the run of the mill Top Gear episodes, the challenges were always my favourite but having watched this I thought it was pretty good.

Surely this is a winner for true 'petrol heads' because there is 2 car shows instead of 1? Or is it the case that people only watched Top Gear because of Clarkson n co and don't actually have a thing for cars? 

As an absolute car bore myself, it could've been a win/win, but I don't think the BBC got it right. I was pretty fed up with Top Gear (as in Clarkson Top Gear) towards the end of its time; it became stupid and more of a celebrity chat show which I didn't like. When they left the BBC should've got in a few decent motoring journalists/racing drivers and made it back about the cars again. Chris Harris, for example, is excellent and should've featured more. Him, someone like Mark Webber - or even Jason Plato from the BTCC and Fifth Gear - and then a more James May-esque poke fun at character would be ideal. 

Instead they tried to make it about the people with some brutal chemistry between Evans and LeBlanc. It didn't work. People watched it because it was Clarkson/Hammond and May. They didn't just want a ragtag bunch of random television personalities attempting to 'bantz' each other off. The challenges remained stupid, the tests were worse and the only thing that kept many people watching (the in-studio comedy) was lost. 

Anyway, I watched the Grand Tour on Friday and thought it was excellent. It was somewhere between peak Top Gear (2008) and end of the line Top Gear, the studio could be a bit cringey at times - but I get they are now aiming at a global audience, so that was to be expected. I liked the wee jibes at the BBC, and the amount of time, effort and money that went in to shooting aspects of it must've been absolutely obscene.

Looking forward to next week, without the American audience. 

Edited by Sonsteam of 08

I watched half of the first episode and got to say that I hated it. Same old shit on a bigger budget and i was cringing at the start, were we meant to be feeling sorry for Clarkson? It was all a bit ego-tastic. Like a lot of people, I had gone off old Top Gear anyway and thought they missed an opportunity to do something different.

Controversially I actually liked the BBC's new Top Gear, well the bits without Evans anyway. I liked how they actually went back to properly reviewing cars, Chris Harris an Rory Reid were both excellent.

Episode 2 heavily scripted but much funnier. 

James May will endear himself to all the Republicans in here.

Just watched and thought it was really disappointing after decent first episode. Aston Martin bit was just OK but the studio stuff dragged on and the Jordan thing was chronic. All that pish to finally review a big Audi barge? Seems to me they have a budget and determined to spend it on trivia. The last series of Top Gear was far superior so far. Chris Harris is a much better driver/car reviewer than Clarkson Hammond and May and his stuff on YouTube going back years is what I'd rather see than this nonsense.

After a promising start in episode one, episode two was a massive let-down.  The whole thing in Jordan was horrendous.  It wasn't funny, and Clarkson pretending to be raped by terrorists whilst stuck in a window felt like a nadir for the format.  I almost didn't finish the episode.

Will watch the third one, but my expectations have been revised downwards.

After a promising start in episode one, episode two was a massive let-down.  The whole thing in Jordan was horrendous.  It wasn't funny, and Clarkson pretending to be raped by terrorists whilst stuck in a window felt like a nadir for the format.  I almost didn't finish the episode.

Will watch the third one, but my expectations have been revised downwards.

The Jordanian section was too long, the "rape" was cringeworthy.

Absolutely this.

Liking the show so far, but not a fan of the American racing driver. His patter is brutal. Don't like the track they use either. It doesn't have any sections where they can open it right up and get the car flat out or near flat out.

There was a mad list of things the BBC threatened to sue for if they included it, ranging from the stig to the star in a reasonably priced car.

It wouldn't surprise me if they were told they couldn't have a race track so just built this cheaply for testing.

I watched the first episode yesterday. I can't say I particularly enjoyed it, particularly the tent segments, but then again, I didn't really enjoy the last few series on BBC. Too scripted, not enough about cars (I appreciate you don't watch C, H, M for that).